ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 248 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #6121
mass-klr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Just received my replacement Amps Rugged Mount from Garmin. Looks like they fixed the security screw issue. Now I have 2, 1 with bad screw and 1 with good screw. Now I need another bike for the extra mount
mass-klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #6122
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-klr View Post
Just received my replacement Amps Rugged Mount from Garmin. Looks like they fixed the security screw issue. Now I have 2, 1 with bad screw and 1 with good screw. Now I need another bike for the extra mount
That reminds me - I should call Garmin and find out if they can send me a new Tempe to replace my flawed one.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #6123
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
That reminds me - I should call Garmin and find out if they can send me a new Tempe to replace my flawed one.
Well that was a waste of time - Garmin Help Desk staff tell me "to reset the Tempe, just do a Master Reset on the gps you want to use it with."

Yeah right. Like I'm going to do a Master Reset every morning I plan to use the unit.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #6124
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Well that was a waste of time - Garmin Help Desk staff tell me "to reset the Tempe, just do a Master Reset on the gps you want to use it with."

Yeah right. Like I'm going to do a Master Reset every morning I plan to use the unit.
Do not let them get away with that. Demand to speak with a supervisor or someone who is actually current and aware of the issues with the Tempe.

The quote about replacement Tempe units on the Montana wiki Tempe page is from Garmin Tech Support.

Quote it back to them.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #6125
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Do not let them get away with that. Demand to speak with a supervisor or someone who is actually current and aware of the issues with the Tempe.

The quote about replacement Tempe units on the Montana wiki Tempe page is from Garmin Tech Support.

Quote it back to them.
I'm not going to let them get away with it. Hopefully the Garmin staff member who monitors this thread and contacted me previously by email will get involved and offer some internal assistance.

I could always send it back to GPSCity too. I've still got the box.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #6126
81husky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:

The master reset doesn't work. I finally got mine replaced after many e-mails, and the new one works like it's supposed to. I don't know why they are so opposed to admitting there is problem with the first units that were shipped. Or do the tech support people really not understand how the Tempe works? The high and low temps are stored in the Tempe, and the reset has to occur in the Tempe unit. The GPS unit reading the Tempe data has no control over what the Tempe is sending it.

81husky screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 10:08 AM Reason: spelling
81husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #6127
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
I'm not going to let them get away with it. Hopefully the Garmin staff member who monitors this thread and contacted me previously by email will get involved and offer some internal assistance.

I could always send it back to GPSCity too. I've still got the box.
I have had the same problem with Garmin support, via emails & on the phone get the same canned answer about removing the battery...yada...yada..yada. I also posted the issue on GPScity & one of there responders said he thought it was a software issue in the Montana....but said I could call then for a RMA, which might be the easier solution & then buy another unit .
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #6128
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighopper View Post
I have had the same problem with Garmin support, via emails & on the phone get the same canned answer about removing the battery...yada...yada..yada. I also posted the issue on GPScity & one of there responders said he thought it was a software issue in the Montana....but said I could call then for a RMA, which might be the easier solution & then buy another unit .
The issue is not with any GPSr unit. The Tempe is omni-directional, it only transmits data, and can not recieve commands from any GPSr.

The issue IS a firmware bug in the original Tempe shipment.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #6129
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
How do you diagnose the problem - I'm not sure that I understand. Does the initial min/max recorded temperature not change?
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #6130
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

If anyone's looking for a Montana 600, they're $399 Canadian at GPSCentral.ca until December 12.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #6131
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
How do you diagnose the problem - I'm not sure that I understand. Does the initial min/max recorded temperature not change?
That's right. Whatever the highest and lowest temps the Tempe has seen and recorded to the gps is always retained unless you remove the Tempe battery for 30 seconds.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #6132
Bonerov
Damned dirty ape

Oddometer: 415
I finally got my AMPS Rugged Mount yesterday. I wired it up, mounted it, and then found that the damned lock screw doesn't reach the threads. I know about the issue and meant to test it before I went through the trouble of running the wires, etc. bummer.

Quick question: do I contact Garmin or do I contact the vendor from whom I purchased the item, in order to get it replaced? Also, will they take back the old one if I've chopped off the three data wires? Doh....
Bonerov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #6133
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
Yes, it is all explained here.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #6134
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonerov View Post
I finally got my AMPS Rugged Mount yesterday. I wired it up, mounted it, and then found that the damned lock screw doesn't reach the threads. I know about the issue and meant to test it before I went through the trouble of running the wires, etc. bummer.

Quick question: do I contact Garmin or do I contact the vendor from whom I purchased the item, in order to get it replaced? Also, will they take back the old one if I've chopped off the three data wires? Doh....
I bet if you contacted Garmin about it, they wouldn't ask for the old one back. If you contact the vendor, odds are you would need to send it back. If you do need to send it back, I don't think anyone would care about the shortened wires; it's not like they're going to sell it to someone else.

In your situation I'd use the one you have, contact Garmin, and wait for the replacement. The Montana's not going to fall out just because the screw is not done up as long as you're careful to make sure it's properly in the mount.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #6135
Bonerov
Damned dirty ape

Oddometer: 415
Quote:
I bet if you contacted Garmin about it, they wouldn't ask for the old one back. If you contact the vendor, odds are you would need to send it back. If you do need to send it back, I don't think anyone would care about the shortened wires; it's not like they're going to sell it to someone else.

In your situation I'd use the one you have, contact Garmin, and wait for the replacement. The Montana's not going to fall out just because the screw is not done up as long as you're careful to make sure it's properly in the mount.
Excellent. Thank you for the info. I'll call Garmin this afternoon to see if I can get a replacement sent out.
Bonerov is offline   Reply With Quote