Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #76
lsettle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Concours- Thanks for the replies, yes, the carbs are clean and the idle circuit is functional. Also, I did not know what to look for to see if I had the balancer adjuster fitted to my bike. Looks like it do ;-)

Thanks to SOS for asking that question as I did not know....

I have uploaded a picture of the adjuster and a picture of the bike.

Here is one of the 1974 TX750 - http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/1...cture001vq.jpg

and another of the adjuster for SOS - http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/2...cture004hy.jpg
lsettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #77
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsettle View Post
Concours- Thanks for the replies, yes, the carbs are clean and the idle circuit is functional. Also, I did not know what to look for to see if I had the balancer adjuster fitted to my bike. Looks like it do ;-)

Thanks to SOS for asking that question as I did not know....

I have uploaded a picture of the adjuster and a picture of the bike.

Here is one of the 1974 TX750 - http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/1...cture001vq.jpg

and another of the adjuster for SOS - http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/2...cture004hy.jpg
Any progress?
Old 09-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #78
farmrjohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Just joined after acquiring a '74 TX750 and already have a few of questions. 1. I've heard that synthetic oil is a problem with the clutches by being too slippery. Is that true for ones that are motorcycle specific oils and/or ones that aren't "economy" rated, ie. Shell Rotella T-6, Mobile 1 Diesel etc.? 2. Are there any diagrams for the spin on oil filter modification? That looks like it would work without removing the chain, unlike the BMW element option. 3. Does anyone have a source for an owners manual?
farmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #79
vernon dent
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Old 09-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #80
CalsXS2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by far2389 View Post
I just had a batch of aluminum oil filter adapters made for my 4 Tx's. These are the ones that replace the expensive stock filter and use the BMW R65 filter - work great. Have some extra's to sell if anyone interested. Comes with new filters and oring (the other parts are used from the old filter). PM if interested I can email pics.
Do you have any filter's available. Thanks.
CalsXS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #81
far2389
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Oil Filter Adapter Source

I sold all the adapters I had, but there is a guy selling same item on ebay for $60. (same as ones I was selling)
far2389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #82
concours
WFO for 41 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmrjohn View Post
Just joined after acquiring a '74 TX750 and already have a few of questions. 1. I've heard that synthetic oil is a problem with the clutches by being too slippery. Is that true for ones that are motorcycle specific oils and/or ones that aren't "economy" rated, ie. Shell Rotella T-6, Mobile 1 Diesel etc.? 2. Are there any diagrams for the spin on oil filter modification? That looks like it would work without removing the chain, unlike the BMW element option. 3. Does anyone have a source for an owners manual?
Just use a motorcycle specific 20-50, rated for wet clutch. I have been running Amsoil full synthetic 20-50 for 4,000 miles, no clutch slippage. Owners manual can be downloaded here: http://www.tobyfolwick.com/tx750/

concours screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 06:13 PM
concours is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #83
concours
WFO for 41 years

I have an aquaintance with a couple for sale as a package if any tuning fork faithfull wants a vintage project
Old 12-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #84
farmrjohn
Gnarly Adventurer

A couple of more questions. 1. for Isettle (or anyone else with an oil cooler)-do you have a diagram or pics. of the lines to and from the cooler as well as how the cooler mounts? 2. for concours-what handlebar did you wind up using? The one on mine seems to be shorter than the ones shown in the "official" photos and I wouldn't mind a little more upright riding position. Thanks.

re. an update on mine: I now have about 500 miles on it after attending to the top end and other issues. It runs well but the oil/case temperatures seem warmer that I'm used to, hence the desire to add a cooler. I also need to correct a pre-existing dent in the fuel tank.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #85
concours
WFO for 41 years

Quote:
A couple of more questions. 1. for Isettle (or anyone else with an oil cooler)-do you have a diagram or pics. of the lines to and from the cooler as well as how the cooler mounts? 2. for concours-what handlebar did you wind up using? The one on mine seems to be shorter than the ones shown in the "official" photos and I wouldn't mind a little more upright riding position. Thanks.

re. an update on mine: I now have about 500 miles on it after attending to the top end and other issues. It runs well but the oil/case temperatures seem warmer that I'm used to, hence the desire to add a cooler. I also need to correct a pre-existing dent in the fuel tank.
The bars I ended up with are the XS650 bars from www.mikesxs.com and the oil cooler is the specific one for the TX, issued trying to stop the engine failures. (Any Lockhart will work just fine) but the answer was the sump extension. Shoot your oil tnk with a IR temp gun? HOW hot?

concours screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 07:01 PM
concours is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #86
farmrjohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
The bars I ended up with are the XS650 bars from www.mikesxs.com and the oil cooler is the specific one for the TX, issued trying to stop the engine failures. (Any Lockhart will work just fine) but the answer was the sump extension. Shoot your oil tnk with a IR temp gun? HOW hot?

I have used an instant read kitchen thermometer in the oil tank just after riding now a couple of times and get 180 degrees. Both times the outside air temperature was around 60. During the summer the air temperature can go over 100. I found a 750 cooler on ebay which is on the way, but have questions on routing the in and out lines between the case, tank, and cooler.

Did you use the Part #25-0654 bars from MikesXS? If I'm measuring correctly the ones on the bike have about a 2" rise, and I'm not sure on the pullback. Width is 28" and I wouldn't mind a bit narrower, but that would crowd the switches and brake cylinder.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #87
dm635
Let's Roll

Oddometer: 382
Just found this post. I have good memories from the TX750-A I rode for 8 years. This was back in the 80's & I don't remember seeing any others even back then. Sounds like I must have gotten a good one. I didn't beat it , but I did ride it. Did have the electric start problem & got parts to repair. I'm thinking it had an adjustment for cam/balancer chain. Was the Purple color & did look good. Saw a sad one a couple years ago at the Mid Ohio swap meet. Hardly even a parts bike.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #88
concours
WFO for 41 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm635 View Post
Just found this post. I have good memories from the TX750-A I rode for 8 years. This was back in the 80's & I don't remember seeing any others even back then. Sounds like I must have gotten a good one. I didn't beat it , but I did ride it. Did have the electric start problem & got parts to repair. I'm thinking it had an adjustment for cam/balancer chain. Was the Purple color & did look good. Saw a sad one a couple years ago at the Mid Ohio swap meet. Hardly even a parts bike.
Yup, purple was '74, all updates included right out of the box, the starter still sucked though.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #89
concours
WFO for 41 years

Quote:
I have used an instant read kitchen thermometer in the oil tank just after riding now a couple of times and get 180 degrees. Both times the outside air temperature was around 60. During the summer the air temperature can go over 100. I found a 750 cooler on ebay which is on the way, but have questions on routing the in and out lines between the case, tank, and cooler.

Did you use the Part #25-0654 bars from MikesXS? If I'm measuring correctly the ones on the bike have about a 2" rise, and I'm not sure on the pullback. Width is 28" and I wouldn't mind a bit narrower, but that would crowd the switches and brake cylinder.
Sorry I missed this, yes, #25-0654 is what I used. You need an oil cooler with 1/2" ports, most are 3/8". The scavenge line is the one to cut, (goes to the TOP of the oil tank.)
Old 01-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #90
dm635
Let's Roll

Oddometer: 382
Wish I could find some old pics of this bike. They'd be from the 80's. Used to ride with a guy that took his new KZ1000 home still in the crate. We could cruise together all right, but his throttle did much more than mine. I'd kick down twice and still do no good to leave his ass. But I still enjoyed the bike for what it was.