Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #496
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,738
Read some of her blog. She is quite the gal and you are right, years beyond her age. Sent a few $$ her way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Just a few words about Stephanie

She is only 23 yet she seems to have an amazing handle on life. She is beautiful, smart, unbelievably brave, witty and funny. I consider myself lucky to have met her. On top of it all she is riding her bicycle 10,000 kilometers to raise money to help a school in Nicuaragua help little children. We should all have a grip on life and charity the way she seems to.

With Christmas and the "season" of giving coming if you feel the urge to help her and give to a good cause I'm sure she will make absolutely certain your money does good work. Just a few bucks will help, if you can. I have given up on the Paypal idea for my own ride, but maybe the readers of my ride report can help Steph. I received about $200 in donations from readers. I have already helped someone. Steph can help many more.

Just copy and paste this link, below, into your browser to find out more

Stephgoescyclingforacause.blogspot
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #497
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 181
You're making great tracks! Once thru Panama, the real fun begins.
Hevy Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #498
bESS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Dwight:

I love the way you can meet people along the way. Takes away a bit of the loneliness in a strange country not being able to speak the language. At least for a few hours, or a few days you can converse in English and perhaps forge future friendships when you return home.

It's amazing what people do, and amazing for Steph to ride all the way from Canada, and alone.

I am glad you are sorted out and in a better frame of mind. Thanks for bringing us along and also your impressions (and feelings) of what you see along the way

take care
bob

current RR --> click here
bESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #499
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Donation to Steph's cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
Read some of her blog. She is quite the gal and you are right, years beyond her age. Sent a few $$ her way.
Really appreciate it, Thanks

Steph will work wonders, I'm sure, with any donation s she receives.

Thanks again

Dwight
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #500
Kedgi OP
Banned

Instant friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by bESS View Post
Dwight:

I love the way you can meet people along the way. Takes away a bit of the loneliness in a strange country not being able to speak the language. At least for a few hours, or a few days you can converse in English and perhaps forge future friendships when you return home.

It's amazing what people do, and amazing for Steph to ride all the way from Canada, and alone.

Steph and I were instant friends, as soon as we met. So much in common so far from home.

Dwight.

I am glad you are sorted out and in a better frame of mind. Thanks for bringing us along and also your impressions (and feelings) of what you see along the way

take care
bob

Steph and I were instant friends the momnet we met, we just had so much in common, so far from home

Dwight
Old 12-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #501
Kedgi OP
Banned

Thanks Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catours View Post
hey Dwight. Glad to hear you're making your way along the coast... sounds like Tunco was just what you needed. Keep truckin and I'm looking forward to more updates.

Cheers,
Chris
Chris

Tunco was the best advice you could have given me

Thanks so much for all the excellent info

Dwight
Old 12-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #502
Kedgi OP
Banned

San Juan del Sur, Nicarauga

Hello from San Juan del Sur Nicaragua. Had the throttle twisted hard a lot today to get here. Spent about 2.5 hours at the border and still made 500kms on some pretty bombed out roads. Got here just in time to see the sunset.

This is a beautiful little beach town.

Will report more later, Gotta find something to eat.

Kedgi

Kedgi screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 07:35 PM
Old 12-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #503
Redhed
Lost on the Island

Oddometer: 80
Dwight: I am following your report as I enter Ecuador. I was very pleased to read that you set those two "helpers" straight in the Honduras crossing. It is likely that they were the two that did in fact rip me off. I made the mistake of arriving at the border late in the day, tired, hungry and pissed off at the potholes. Glad to see you took the bull by the horns. Keep heading south: it only gets better and better...
Redhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #504
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhed View Post
Dwight: I am following your report as I enter Ecuador. I was very pleased to read that you set those two "helpers" straight in the Honduras crossing. It is likely that they were the two that did in fact rip me off. I made the mistake of arriving at the border late in the day, tired, hungry and pissed off at the potholes. Glad to see you took the bull by the horns. Keep heading south: it only gets better and better...
I guess I was still bitter about the Mexican/Gaut thing. As soon as they tried the same trick, I called their bluff. My helpers today weren't bad, I'm sure they made a few bucks off me but it was OK, pretty fast crossing if you can call 2.5 hours fast. I hit the border at 8am this time. I was well rest6ed and it was a little bit cooler.

Glad you're reading and contributing

Kedgi
Old 12-05-2012, 04:10 AM   #505
QCRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Are planning on stopping in CR at all?

NB: Brace yourself for some strong cross winds again when you get back on the road today. It will get better once you pass Liberia.

Ride safe!
QCRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:49 AM   #506
Kedgi OP
Banned

Windy

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCRider View Post
Are planning on stopping in CR at all?

NB: Brace yourself for some strong cross winds again when you get back on the road today. It will get better once you pass Liberia.

Ride safe!

It is windy here this morning, just leaving now for a long day. May stop for the night in southern Costa Rica but I really have to boogie to make the Steel Rat. Not a problem just two long days.

Yesterday I rode from East to West in Nicarauga in 20kms. That was pretty cool!

Kedgi
Old 12-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #507
Kedgi OP
Banned

Costa Rica

Made frustratingly slow progress today in spite of my best efforts. 4.5 hours at the border crossing into Costa Rica. What a system! The Nicaraguan side was easy but this side was just about a complicated as any one could ever make it.

First you wait in line behind 120 tourists off tour busses waiting to get there passposts stamped at 7:30 am. The had two officers that were overwhelmed. I counted that every ten minute they would let 15 more tourists in to get their stamp. I was 100 minutes in that line, then do you think I could find the slip of paper he wanted in the stack of paperwork and copies I have. No way! It is just a small form like you fill out as a declaration like you do on an aircraft between Canada and the USA. My helpers on the Nicaraguan side had a copy and I had filled it out....GONE. Either they didn't give it back to me in the flurry of copies, stamps, permits etc on that side or I misplaced it or dropped it...but I didn't have it. That meant, get another copy, go to the bike , get glasses, a pen, fill it out again. Go to back of new line of 15 people wait a extra ten minute for a form he glanced at and through on a huge pile. Finally after an hour and a half I had a migration stamp. (It usually takes 5 minutes anywhere else)

Then Aduana. more copies, title, licence, passport, stamp on a permit must be copied, stamp in passport, must be copied, of course the copie place is half a mile away, Then back, permit stamped, of course now you need a copy of that to take to the mandatory insure building which is convieniently located in the back of a trucking yard hal a mile away and marked. Tourista Police so you rule it out the first couple times you go by. Then you get insurance and you guessed it, you need a copy of that to take back where you started at aduana. Did I mention it 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity and you're of course wearing full motorcycle gear. Then aduana stamps the form and you need to go back to insurance to get a permit. They give you a slip to give to the guy at the exit, which is of course NOT the road MARKED Salida/Exit When you find the guy he takes the slip. You wait behind 20 trucks after that to show yet another guy you have a passport, insurance and a licence. WTF! Torture!

So after a 12 hour day I made 340kms. San Jose 4pm traffic makes Vancouver, Summer Long weekend traffic look like day- care. I'm safe. That's what counts
Old 12-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #508
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,372
WTF is wrong with those people?
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #509
BeachGuy
Alabama & Costa Rica

Oddometer: 468
Pura Vida

As the Tico's use the phrase "Pura Vida" for everything, you need to learn and live the word "tranquilo" which means to be tranquil, relax, go with the flow. This is how they operate, they will never change. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Are you going to exit Costa Rica using the Sabalito exit again. It's still fast and easy. Just remember that it's closed on Saturday and Sunday.

Continued safe riding,
2014 Ride Report: Ring of Ireland in 30 days
One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.
BeachGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:24 AM   #510
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 181
It'll all make for a great story with your mates over a pop or two. You're gettin' it done dude!!
Hevy Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote