Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #5401
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundra61 View Post
I have a triple clamp question I am hoping y'all can help with.

I recently installed a new triple clamp and noticed that after the install there is a small bit of play. Maybe 1/32 of overall play. You can only notice it when you lift the front wheel and wiggle the forks front to back.

So, my question is, does everybody have this play in their front end? I did follow the proper tourqueing sequence and theBearings are basically new.

Let me know your thoughts.
Make sure you loosen the bolts holding the crown to the fork tubes before you tighten the nut. If you don't, you may not be able to get rid of the play.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #5402
tundra61
I wish I had a title

Oddometer: 972
thanks - am going to give things another try.

Also, I seemed to have lost my service disk. Can anybody list the torque sequence? I know you are supposed to loosely tighten things, then put the bike on the floor and follow a few subsequent steps before final tightening.
tundra61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #5403
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:

Also, I seemed to have lost my service disk. Can anybody list the torque sequence? I know you are supposed to loosely tighten things, then put the bike on the floor and follow a few subsequent steps before final tightening.
I have no access to the reprom from this tablet, so hopefully someone'll check it out but one other possibility for your problem might be that the thing you changed needs a spacer to make it the same height as the one you took off.

Perhaps a thick washer will fix it?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #5404
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,691
Quote:

Here you go. Happy Thanksgiving. Now I have to go clean up before the guests get here. The bike can wait.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:34 PM   #5405
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,382
Took these pics back in early October, I think, but my camera's card was on the fritz. Somehow they recently showed up on my computer... Anyway, enjoyed the fall leaves, bit cold and dark now a days.

LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #5406
tundra61
I wish I had a title

Oddometer: 972
Thanks so much - happy thxsgiving to you and yours !

The long weekend finally brought me some free time to finish the install of my xtrig triple trees and WP forks with the Ohlins TTX cartridge installed. This also called for a KTM front wheel and rotor.

Though the clamps did take some fidgeting to get tightened - everything bolted up perfectly.

Prior to these forks I did have the stockers valved and resprung by Dick's and have to say the TTX and new offset of the clamps has even further improved the bike.

I think these clamps are now very hard to come by, but if you are committed to your g450x and come across a set - they are definitely worth the cost and effort of getting the WP or Ohlins forks installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
Here you go. Happy Thanksgiving. Now I have to go clean up before the guests get here. The bike can wait.

tundra61 screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 05:58 PM
tundra61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #5407
Edelweys
DOM undercover

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shred View Post
Roost Cam

Gorgeous riding area! Envy!!
Edelweys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:02 AM   #5408
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweys View Post
Gorgeous riding area! Envy!!

Hey,,,speaking of that.

When we doing an Upstate NY 450X day?Homeboy's[you know who you are].
Before it snows....

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #5409
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
Hey,,,speaking of that.

When we doing an Upstate NY 450X day?Homeboy's[you know who you are].
Before it snows....
Jim's doing spiked tire rides, already... I'dve been there but I dont have a day off till the 15th, and I still havent done the 20 hour maintenance that was due before September
Old 12-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #5410
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Jim's doing spiked tire rides, already... I'dve been there but I dont have a day off till the 15th, and I still havent done the 20 hour maintenance that was due before September

Well,quit screw'n round in exodicdesert locations and get to it.

I rode the Hammer run,[had a blast!!]and i couldnt stop without 3 or 4 guys asking me every question in the world about my X.
I missed lunch at one spot on Sunday cause two guys cornered me with the,,"Do ya like it"?,,"Whats that round thing on the seat"?,,By the time i got done,Xmoto and Boatman had eat'n and were gearing back up.

Sooo,i just wanta ride with some guys that ask the Husaberg guys all them questions.
Atleast before i gotta spoon on Trelleborg's.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #5411
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
I rode today. . ..

NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #5412
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
I know they don't make this bike anymore, but I have my eye on the Husky 511. Pretty sure it is a version of this same bike, maybe a few changes anyone riding one, I can't find a thread on them anywhere

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #5413
Q-tip
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Stuff for sale

Traded my 450; have some things (exhausts, skid plate) listed in the "for sale" section if anyone interested.
Q-tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #5414
Lamented
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
New guy

Hey, been riding my used 2009 with 3500 on it for a while now, love the bike.

pic from a little Urban exploration today.....

Have a bunch of new guy questions........

1. I noticed a broken wire today on a ride, power felt down and it is tiny and will be a pain to fix without screwing up the connector.

What is this? I have a wiring diagram but can't find where these three wires are grouped together on it. It goes to a sensor on the back side of the motor where a carb should be

my guess is the +5v sensor for the Idle regulator position sensor? It is the red and green wire paired with a brown /white and a Blue/yellow

Any help would be appreciated. Bike is still under warranty, would this be covered?

2. Also the gas cap constantly wants to cross thread, is this common?

3. Doesn't always like to start. even when warm

4. Head light sucks. so......... I installed a rigid industries Dually D2 spot driving combo I had. Problem solved

Dark

Light

Old 12-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #5415
DESERT SCORPION
SINGLE TRACK

Oddometer: 119
Gas Cap

Yes, the gas cap wants to cross thread very easily. This was not always the case on my bike. It swells up after continued exposure to gasoline. I partly remedied this situation by baking the cap in the oven at 175 degrees F. for about three hours. Much smoother fit after this, but after a few weeks its as sticky as ever. Next I tried sanding the entire threaded portion of the cap down with 220 wet or dry sandpaper. This barely had any effect because the plastic is extremely abrasion-resistant. I could not remove enough material. The trick I use presently is to wind the cap counterclockwise until I feel the tank and cap threads jump by one pitch. Now firmly push the cap againt the tank opening while slowly turning clockwise. One must be very persistent to keep the cap level with the face of the filler neck. After about half a turn it is engaged enough to finish tightening it. Naturally BMW chose not to use a standard pitch, or I would just replace the damned thing with a $10 O'Reilly non-vented cap. There is a nice alloy cap that Husky lists in their Special Parts Catalog for the TE449; Cod. 8000H4069. I wonder if it will work on the BMW?

THE SCORPION
DESERT SCORPION is offline   Reply With Quote