Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2011, 07:10 AM   #376
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 717
You have the gift of adv mojo simonpig. Really enjoyed your quality report.

Now about those pickles, no retailers in the NW?
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:52 AM   #377
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Oddometer: 947
Yeah, doesn't look like it really needs to be there. They should put a sign next to it that says, "Over _____ (number of riders) served". I'm sure it must be alot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny55 View Post
Am I mistaken or is there no fence attached to the other side of that gate post?! I see a gate but no reason for it since there is no fence!!!

Also, what happened to your right side hand gaurd? It is not on the bike in the above picture
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #378
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Got a message from Bill, the gentleman with the fabulous Ford hot rod I met in Union Creek, Oregon. I think I would've passed out and fallen off the bridge if I was up there.

photo P1020356.jpg

"WOW, looks you had one helluva trip.
We just got back home a couple of weeks ago, after about 4500 miles of Nor Cal and Oregon backroads, thanks to pashnit.com.

I got the private tour of the Golden Gate Bridge, thanks to a Harley rider we met on the trip, who is a painter on the bridge." — Bill

simonpig screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 09:30 AM
Old 02-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #379
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Bump for those who haven't read one of the better TAT ride reports out there.
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:41 AM   #380
Rutsref
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Laugh Thanks for the GREAT report

Funniest statement yet!!

"The TAT is defarkling my bike. To date I've lost my zeta heel guard, a rear zeta disk guard and both my handguards. Lost the left one on this spill."
Old 02-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #381
rudyunknown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
yeah dude where the heck r u....after TAT never heard back from u....hope to see u arnd at rides here in NE, r u doing the PB300??
Vstrom 1000 For everything else

rudyunknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #382
Vinbowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Really awesome, Thanks for taking the time,
to do the report.
They just stand back and let it all be." Springsteen
Vinbowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #383
leftystrat62
Adventurer

this deserves a bump-great thread
Old 11-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #384
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
this deserves a bump-great thread

+1!!!
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #385
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 807
Simon - I'm not sure if I missed it (I read this thread back when it came out), but did you have a pressure suit under the Klim jacket? I'm wondering how the Leatt fit over your jacket as well?

Yours was the first TAT thread I read, and the reason myself and 3 childhood friends have planned for a 2013 run. Thanks for that!
I'm still not sold on the WR though... DR or WR or DR or WR or XR or WR?
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #386
simonpig OP
packin' heat

No pressure suit under. I just use the D3o Klim slip in armor. Comfort was paramount on this trip. I rocked pressure suits for the first several years of trailriding, but got rid of it last year, and just going with a chest protector. Kept overheating and was just straight up uncomfortable.

Leatt Moto GPX Club fit perfectly after adjusted properly. I think all the new Leatts have adjustability. The old first generation Leatt Adventures had limited adjustability, so that might not work, but I know the new Leatt Adventures are basically the old Moto GPX Club rebranded.

Theres many bike you could ride on this trip. I happened to enjoy the WR and it worked for me — I am a lighter rider, and packed light. Above all else, I really appreciated it's smoothness -- almost no vibes through the bars. Great for the liaison and return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
Simon - I'm not sure if I missed it (I read this thread back when it came out), but did you have a pressure suit under the Klim jacket? I'm wondering how the Leatt fit over your jacket as well?

Yours was the first TAT thread I read, and the reason myself and 3 childhood friends have planned for a 2013 run. Thanks for that!
I'm still not sold on the WR though... DR or WR or DR or WR or XR or WR?
Old 12-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #387
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Hey Simon, I remember you told me you used a Panasonic Lumix for your camera, can you tell me what program you use to "fix" your pictures? You've captioned some great images.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #388
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Hey Lefty, I didn't touch a thing. It came straight from the camera. I used the in-camera "Vivid Saturation" setting. When are you leaving for the TAT in 2013? Keep me posted. Possibly, and if you're cool with it, I wouldn't mind tagging along to MS and on the R80g/s if I still have it around then.

Quote:
Hey Simon, I remember you told me you used a Panasonic Lumix for your camera, can you tell me what program you use to "fix" your pictures? You've captioned some great images.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #389
leftystrat62
Adventurer

That would be totally fine with me if you want to try to meet up,I think that would b e fun. I'm thinking of leaving roughly either Aug 12th or the 18th. I've got the time to leave either weekend -just not sure if I'd be better off waiting another week because of the heat. I plan to try and take an extra 4 days in CO & UT as well so I'm trying to time it right.
Would you recommend the Panasonic camera you used? I'm also considering the Canon Powershot D10-similar type of camera. I've got a nice point & shoot that's just too big,and I want something to stand up to the elements,and that will be quick and easy to use so that I'll take more pictures.
I've got the same Klim traverse pants as you were wearing, how were they in the beginning of the trip when it was hot?

leftystrat62 screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 06:25 PM
Old 12-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #390
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Cool, lets play it by ear. Plan the leave date however it fits with your needs and if I'm able, then lets do it.

The suit was fine on the east coast. If all the vents are open and you're moving its good. You can regulate the airflow by the number of vents you zip open and how far opened they are.

I've never used the D10 and can't speak for its quality, but it widest zoom angle is 35mm—you'll be frustrated trying to capture epic landscapes with that focal length. The wide zoom 28mm lens on the TS3 is a necessity, and for any camera used for travelling. Doesn't have to be a Panasonic, though they do have the best image quality in this rugged waterproof class, just make sure its got a 28mm– XXmm zoom. Personally, I recommend the Panasonic over the others. Its a turn it on, Take picture, Turn it off approach. You do need to learn how to use exposure compensation (-2 to +2 exposure stop range) though to get good pictures in some situations (night, dusk, backlighting, etc.). There are buttons for those on the camera, so you don't have to dig through menus to access.

Quote:
That would be totally fine with me if you want to try to meet up,I think that would b e fun. I'm thinking of leaving roughly either Aug 12th or the 18th. I've got the time to leave either weekend -just not sure if I'd be better off waiting another week because of the heat. I plan to try and take an extra 4 days in CO & UT as well so I'm trying to time it right.
Would you recommend the Panasonic camera you used? I'm also considering the Canon Powershot D10-similar type of camera. I've got a nice point & shoot that's just too big,and I want something to stand up to the elements,and that will be quick and easy to use so that I'll take more pictures.
I've got the same Klim traverse pants as you were wearing, how were they in the beginning of the trip when it was hot?

simonpig screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 07:23 PM