AK Oldman
WANDRN

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post
a 2x2 piece of pine and LOTS of sanding
The boy's CO2 powered car for shop class
Gonna haul ass
That is beautiful! Many years ago we used to make them but used an ether cartridge instead of CO2. One guy would hold the car and a lighter. A second guy would use a hammer and nail to puncture the end of the cartridge. Nice flame shooting out of the back and the car would haul butt!

AK Oldman screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 11:01 PM
AK Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #2583
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 862
I built a table for a lathe I recently bought.

I used a sheet of 15/32 sanded plywood. I had home depot cut it in four pieces, of 2'x4'.

I set the lathe on a sheet of ply and set it in a locale that looked right and traced the holes and measured twice and drilled once for the lathe location. I sunk 4 1/4"-20 Tee Nuts in the bottom of the first sheet of ply to hold the lathe in place. I screwed and glued the four sheets together, capturing the tee nuts in place and making a 2" think Glu-lam of sorts, of 2'x4' dimensions.

I used four carriage bolts to hold the motor in place, pretty much only because I didn't have any extra tee nuts when I screwed and glued everything in place.

To hold the legs in place, I cut the sheet of ply it was being held to into 8 1'x2' triangles, to support the 8 3' 2x4s I fashioned into 4 4x4s.

I left a 2" space at the top of the triangles to nest the table into the legs and supports and screwed everything together.

I had two extra pieces of cull lumber left over, so I used that to support the table legs and make a base for a shelf in the future.

Not bad for $25 worth lumber, $4 in glue, some screws, manual labor and part of a day off of work.

Blah, blah, blah pictures...

Keith screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 11:06 PM
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #2584
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 862
As well...

I found a front seat in the dumpster at work, about a year ago. It looks like it came out of a newer BMW. It's a heavy-ass seat, so I stripped off all the wiring and brackets and seat belt tensioner and lumbar pump and blah, blah, blah.

I wound up with some other dumpster fun stuff, including a couple backboards from our local CHP who was moving location and unloading a bunch of good stuff.

A free computer seat base from a coworker and the idea hit.

Whammo, new german luxury computer chair.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:02 AM   #2585
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post

Whammo, new german luxury computer chair.
Looks comfy. And it should hold you in well while cornering.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #2586
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 3,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post
a 2x2 piece of pine and LOTS of sanding

The boy's CO2 powered car for shop class

Gonna haul ass

Mine was similar way back when. Held the school record for a while, IIRC scale 212 mph. Mine was ugly though.

My buddy's was beautiful, perfect mirrored deep red paint. They had sanded it for days, and wet sanded and polished...

It took off and went about 3' before flipping onto it's top and sliding down the floor (track) scratching it all to shit...
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #2587
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
You made your kid's CO2 car? Cheater!
I was the "head overseer" and consultant- he did countless hours

He spent most of thanksgiving day on my father in law's workshop shaping it, and days sanding it.

He polished and then made the center of the axles concave to reduce friction.
He ground down the wheels (save a 1/4 inch ridge) at the school on a lathe

I did spray it .... I managed to spray a bad combo of primer/paint that reacted to create a goo ...Much sanding and stripping later we were back to wood... then just quickly threw on the gold
Old 12-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #2588
Anglewood
Has a fake Mustache

Oddometer: 1,182
Each year my school does a Pinewood Derby as an 8th grade project. Every 8th grader is given a kit and about a month (with deadlines) to build a car. Along the way we work in various 8th grade standards and the kids all build their own cars along the way. One fun part is that as a teacher, I get to build a new car each year to compete in the "teacher race." This is my submission from this year. The body shape is based on the 1931 Miller V-16 race car. I ended up winning the teacher class for the second year in a row by employing a number of speed tricks that I have learned over the years.

-Connor
Anglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #2589
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglewood View Post
Each year my school does a Pinewood Derby as an 8th grade project. Every 8th grader is given a kit and about a month (with deadlines) to build a car. Along the way we work in various 8th grade standards and the kids all build their own cars along the way. One fun part is that as a teacher, I get to build a new car each year to compete in the "teacher race." This is my submission from this year. The body shape is based on the 1931 Miller V-16 race car. I ended up winning the teacher class for the second year in a row by employing a number of speed tricks that I have learned over the years.

-Connor
You have the VERY old school wheels , excellent

We've had local dads make cars and run a separate competition when the boys rent the track. Good times - nad the boys get to do more of their own car
Old 12-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #2590
Slimie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
The body shape is based on the 1931 Miller V-16 race car. I ended up winning the teacher class for the second year in a row by employing a number of speed tricks that I have learned over the years.

-Connor

-Simon
Slimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #2591
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 3,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimie View Post

-Simon
A few I helped my son when 2nd place in his pack a couple of years ago were:

Polish the axles on the lathe. Make sure to ream the seams out of the insides of the wheels. Also the axles (nails) have flashing on the backside get rid of this and polish them up real nice. Also remove the flashing on the outside diameter of the wheels.

Do not use the pre-made axle holes/channels. Drill them yourself, make sure they are all straight and stuff. If you use a mill, it's really easy to set up the 3 of the axles holding the car up, and the fourth not dragging the car down. Balance it on 3 wheels

Weight as far back in the car as possible (greatest gravitational influence, in the front once the front of the car gets to the flat gravity's done, with the weight back even when the front of the car gets to the flat the weight is still pushing)

Wear in the wheels on the belt sander with copious amounts of dry graphite.

Work the insides of the wheels where the get up against the car, polish this up really good, and make sure the wheels are up against an area without paint. Use the graphite here in excess.

The more accurately you can weigh it the closer you can get it to the heaviest you can run. If you're lucky they will have a weigh in early, so you can check their scale against yours.

Those are the major areas that will put it in the running.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #2592
Trixie
No, not that Trixie

Oddometer: 3,465
I'd add :to the above tips- weight- to the rear and as high as reasonably possible. The track start is elevated. The higher the weight, the greater the potential energy= greater terminal speed, all other things being equal.

I helped my son make a rail, similar to the gold one pictured, with a lead rear spoiler. met all specs and won easily. Just be careful it doesn't tend to wheelie.

Also, if you don't have a lathe, a drill press or even a hand drill (properly secured) will do fine to hold the nails for polishing.

Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:38 AM   #2593
Slimie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,065
Thank you both, already looking forward to next years Cub Scout race!

-Simon
Slimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #2594
Anglewood
Has a fake Mustache

Oddometer: 1,182
Those guys pretty much covered it. The main key is reducing friction as much as possible while taking advantage of gravity by maximizing weight (and placement).

-Connor
Anglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #2595
Fast_Boy_Slim
Don't call me Wighty

Oddometer: 3,046
Quote:

-Connor
What a great tradition. We have nothing like that in the UK. Where do you start with stuff like this do all the kids get given some wheels and a hunk of wood or do you have to source it all? Do the girls build cars too as there are plenty of competitive Dads with daughters too

Quote:
Treat your throttle and brakes like a pair of b**bies! You go grabbing them hard and you're going to get slapped. You want to massage them nice and smooth. That way the bike will kiss you. Chris Carr
Fast_Boy_Slim is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: