Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #766
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,375
Hola Juanito ,
you might have a better chance waiting in Carmelita; remember every group hiking up to El Mirador has to come through Carmelita, but not everybody has to go through Los Amigos.

Another nice ride and great archeological site is Dos Pilas . If you go from Flores to Sayaxche, you take the ferry and keep on going towards Coban and maybe 20 KM after Sayaxche you get off the highway and turn right . It's not more then one hour, mostly easy gravel road and the jungle and Mayan site are spectacular . Hopefully there will be no crazy hippies around there
Old 12-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #767
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Hopefully there will be no crazy hippies around there
Julio
Maybe they are looking for Don Juan and a Yaqui way of knowledge
Old 12-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #768
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Juanito
If you want to check out the power generating plant it is only 2 kms south of Santa Elena, if I remember correctly it is 2 old desiel locamotives on cement pads. Then just 1 more km is Grutas Actun Can which is a pretty neat set of caves! I walked from Flores for a little excercise.
I look forward to your daily installments!
Old 12-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #769
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
Hola Juanito ,
you might have a better chance waiting in Carmelita; remember every group hiking up to El Mirador has to come through Carmelita, but not everybody has to go through Los Amigos.

Another nice ride and great archeological site is Dos Pilas . If you go from Flores to Sayaxche, you take the ferry and keep on going towards Coban and maybe 20 KM after Sayaxche you get off the highway and turn right . It's not more then one hour, mostly easy gravel road and the jungle and Mayan site are spectacular . Hopefully there will be no crazy hippies around there
hola Julio,

I won't pass up your excellent suggestions. Am heading to Carmelita tomorrow if Carlos doesn't come through. I will check out Dos Pilas as well. Sounds fun. I'll report back what I find. Look forward to seeing you down the road.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 12-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #770
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Juanito
If you want to check out the power generating plant it is only 2 kms south of Santa Elena, if I remember correctly it is 2 old desiel locamotives on cement pads. Then just 1 more km is Grutas Actun Can which is a pretty neat set of caves! I walked from Flores for a little excercise.
I look forward to your daily installments!
Hi Cal,

The power and internet just came back on after 18 hours here in Flores. The policemen that were out directing traffic while the streetlights were out are all gone. I'll check out Grutas Actun Can if I don't hear back from Carlos.

I'm used to being a stranger in a strange land. Whether it's out in the sticks in the Peten or hanging with the dreadlock crowd here at the hostel in Flores. Makes for interesting people watching.

Muchas Gracias amigo,
Juanito
Old 12-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #771
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bESS View Post
John:

thank you for taking us to places which we may never see with our own eyes. I like the way the ADVrider community can pull through for you with their expert advice to these out of the way places we know nothing about, and you are doing it with your fine, slowish style with detailed commentary and photos.

Seeing the Clay road would have made me turn back. I don't think my bike could make it but I am glad you managed to do it safely.

I am learning so much from your stonemason experience. I also liked the before and after restoration photos

ride safe, for us, the winter is just starting

bob
Hi Bob,

It is my pleasure to report back on the roads less traveled down here.

It's important to know when to say when. I would have turned back on that wet clay road on a bigger dualie that was a handful to lift for sure. I saw the crater marks that some unfortunate biker left after the fishtail marks with narrow tires from a 125. Never did see a guy covered in mud laying in the ditch so I guess he made it. I was frankly expecting to dump the bike on that road. It was just luck that I didn't.

And I learned that a lotta mud is mucho lodo in Spanish after the guards saw my bike when I returned. So I am learning more Spanish as well.

Best,
Juan
Old 12-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #772
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

I was just reading Ulysses ride report and see that Edzactamundo got hit by a truck yesterday on his KTM and is in the hospital over in El Salvador.

I was helpless to help out the Kiwis last month when one of them went down. Just too far away. But tonight I think I will take my hiking money and head to El Salvador tomorrow and give it to Justin.

I've been in a tough spot south of the border before and know what it's like. You guys have been so generous donating money so I can ride around and it would be cool to head out to the ruins at El Mirador and all. But it's only a days ride to Ahuachapan, El Salvador. So I think I'll head out at first light and jet down there.

I'm sure Justin could use a crazy Tio Juanito to cheer him up. As well as some money.

I spent some time at Throttlemeister's place and know how much these things cost.

Anyway this feels like the right thing to do. There but for the grace of God go I.

I spent 206 quetzals today or $26.78.

Tomorrow I'll be buying gas all day. I'll let you know how it goes. It sounds like the Canadian boys I met a few days ago here are heading over as well. It's time to make lemonade.

Adios amigos,
Viejo Tio Juanito
Old 12-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #773
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Que Bueno Tio. Un buen idea.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #774
Habibi Rocks
Banned

Oddometer: 58
Hi ,nice of you to drop by Ahuachapan to check on a bro. And if you are going to be in El Salvador. There is the Ruins of San Andreas. (practically on the Pan am).
no hawkers, no hords of tourists. Just old ruins . Provecho !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, Cihuatan.. Tazumal - Apenaca.

You can zigzag from San Andreas to Cihauatan to Chaletenango drop south and ride the old school ferry across the lake to Suchitoto. Roberto El Gringo of El Gringo Hostel can hook you up with lodging.

Habibi Rocks screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 09:14 PM
Old 12-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #775
Free Radical
High speed drifter

Oddometer: 1,402
Please pass along our thoughts and prayers to a fellow motero, don Juanito, y gracias por hacer el tiempo para apoyarle. I'm sure he'll appreciate it.

"A cheeseburger, a tank of gas, and the hell out of here!" -- Graffiti, Men's Room, Fontanelli's Tavern, Norman, OK c 1974
Old 12-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #776
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habibi Rocks View Post
Hi , if you are going to be in El Salvador. There is the Ruins of San Andreas. (practically on the Pan am).
no hawkers, no hords of tourists. Just old ruins . Provecho !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, Cihuatan.. Tazumal - Apenaca.

You can zigzag from San Andreas to Cihauatan to Chaletenango drop south and ride the old school ferry across the lake to Suchitoto. Roberto El Gringo of El Gringo Rinconcito can hook you up with lodging.
Habibi rocks,

Love that name. I checked google maps and there is plenty of nice riding around Ahuachapan. El Salvador is a great country. I enjoyed riding there. I'll be back to Guatemala after a short break to help a fellow rider.

And of course I could be in Panama in 3 days if I needed to. No need yet to ride like a Guatemalan bus driver in a hurry to get off his shift and head over to la cama de su cara querida.

Muchas gracias amigo,
Juanito
Old 12-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #777
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Radical View Post
Please pass along our thoughts and prayers to a fellow motero, don Juanito, y gracias por hacer el tiempo para apoyarle. I'm sure he'll appreciate it.
Hi Free Radical,

Will do. I know I'd appreciate it if someone dropped by a hospital in a foreign country and cracked some bad jokes and laid a few bills on me. It's what ADVrider is all about.

Can't ignore a rider down in the neighborhood. I know there are people reading this who have bailed my ass out in similar situations.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 12-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #778
Gun Smoke
Banned

Oddometer: 312
Hey John I've enjoyed the report. I admire the fortitude of your posterior. I know it has to be painful at times. Has your ride become more comfortable as the miles rack up? You and I have similar riding styles in one regard. The amount of gear we carry. I'm ashamedly more of a luxury tourer. I like hot showers every night but when I was a younger man (17) I spent a broke summer, town to town, odd job to odd job trip on my XR650L from NC to New Foundland. Now after 70,000 plus miles in every state, Canada, and N & S.America I can fit everything I need in the factory panniers; simply because I always stay in hotels. I'm addicted to showering, steak, bars and sex with whatever girl I can find in that bar in that order lol. Last year I rode NC to Alaska and back with just a top box on my Multistrada 1200. I think it was you, sorry if I'm wrong; that said you walked the AT. I did it back when I was 18, 18 years ago. I never carried over 20#'s the whole way by using the shelters. I saw so many people carrying 60+#'s. Those that started off that way dropped out as do 90% of those who attempt the AT; I think the main reason I finished was because I didn't have anywhere else to go so I walked. Those that finished typically did it with around 20 pounds and light shoes. I did the last 500 or so miles in a pair of Tevas. I too did that hike broke as hell. I started with around 100$ and a quarter pound of weed to barter with. So about 600$ bucks is what I spent doing the AT. It was tough. Towards the end my body was demanding about 3500 calories a day. I was constantly hungry. Good luck and godspeed brother. I'm going to pop you over a little donation later this evening. I'm to much of an asshole for anyone to donate to me for a vacation but I certainly don't begrudge you're doing so. I'd ike to see you keep trekking. I'm curious though if I could be a little nosey. How much have you managed to generate through your paypal donation site. How much do people donate. Do people send like 3 bucks or 300 bucks. Peace out.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:36 AM   #779
nightflyer
Hors contrôle

Oddometer: 103
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
I was just reading Ulysses ride report and see that Edzactamundo got hit by a truck yesterday on his KTM and is in the hospital over in El Salvador.

I was helpless to help out the Kiwis last month when one of them went down. Just too far away. But tonight I think I will take my hiking money and head to El Salvador tomorrow and give it to Justin.
Good on you mate!
Looking at the truck that hit him I'd say he is still lucky with just a broken leg (although it looks pretty bad...)
Be careful out there guys...
Old 12-05-2012, 05:47 AM   #780
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post

I'm sure Justin could use a crazy Tio Juanito to cheer him up. As well as some money.
I will be hitting Ulysses donate button on his blog later this morning... Gotta have coffee first.

Since you are somewhat detached from this shunt, you will be the calmer head on site Juanito.
Best of luck and we expect a full report in this thread, please.

OldPete screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 07:01 AM Reason: sp
Closed Thread