Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 12:21 AM   #1
jonnyc21 OP
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 787
Thumb First real ride... gas gas TXT pro 125...

My wife was out of town and she gave me permission to take it out with a local trials rider that was willing to show me the ropes. I spend 6 hours on Saturday riding different practice courses he and a buddy of his had put together.

Wow what a workout... and was it a blast, I haven't had that much fun on a bike sense I was a kid riding my first 250 dirt bike. No in fact this was even more fun!!! I wish I had known about trials years ago... if only!

Well the bottom line is that its time for me to get a trials bike for me (was going to any way) so I can ride with the wife, and I am now talking to my wife about getting a bike for our daughter as well.

Wish me the best in figuring out how to come up with the $. I am going to get the bikes, the question is how long will it take... LOL

Its great to join all of you other trials riders out there in a sport/hobby that is just plane sweet!
jonnyc21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:52 AM   #2
Jeff_S2R1K
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Welcome to the party.

I'm just like you, got into trials late, but I'm loving it. Who'd have thought you could have this much fun going slow.
Jeff_S2R1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #3
amcross
Career Rookie/Novice

Oddometer: 203
CONGRATS JONNY!!!!! That's exceptional!

And, being one half of a husband/wife time, I can tell you that, at least for us, doing it together turns up the fun factor that much more. Even though we compete in different classes, we ride the loop together, walk sections together, discuss lines together, cheer each other on, tease each other mercilessly and overall have a blast whether it is in competition or practicing, at home or with friends.

WELCOME!!!!
amcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc21 View Post
Well the bottom line is that its time for me to get a trials bike for me (was going to any way) so I can ride with the wife, and I am now talking to my wife about getting a bike for our daughter as well.

Wish me the best in figuring out how to come up with the $. I am going to get the bikes, the question is how long will it take... LOL
sell stuff, as Dave Ramsay says, have a garage sale, get the money, lol.

Anywho you ought to go edit your profile, add your location and stuff, so fellow ADV trials riders, know where you ride, and maybe someone will notice and say "Hey, you live/ride near me..."
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
jonnyc21 OP
n00b sums it up.

Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
sell stuff, as Dave Ramsay says, have a garage sale, get the money, lol.

Anywho you ought to go edit your profile, add your location and stuff, so fellow ADV trials riders, know where you ride, and maybe someone will notice and say "Hey, you live/ride near me..."
Thanks for the advice, didn't even thing about that... updated!
Old 12-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #6
jonnyc21 OP
n00b sums it up.

Thumb Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcross View Post
CONGRATS JONNY!!!!! That's exceptional!

And, being one half of a husband/wife time, I can tell you that, at least for us, doing it together turns up the fun factor that much more. Even though we compete in different classes, we ride the loop together, walk sections together, discuss lines together, cheer each other on, tease each other mercilessly and overall have a blast whether it is in competition or practicing, at home or with friends.

WELCOME!!!!
I am looking forward to doing much the same with my sweet hart.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
jonnyc21 OP
n00b sums it up.

Laugh Level up...

Oh for anyone that might be interested, Don the guy that took me riding told me I by the end of the day I should ride novice if I go to an event as I was doing quite well and that beginner would likely be to easy for me.

I found it interesting because I didn't think I was doing quite that well tell he informed me that the few obstacles I was having a hard time with where intermediate to advanced.

cheers!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc21 View Post
Oh for anyone that might be interested, Don the guy that took me riding told me I by the end of the day I should ride novice if I go to an event as I was doing quite well and that beginner would likely be to easy for me.

I found it interesting because I didn't think I was doing quite that well tell he informed me that the few obstacles I was having a hard time with where intermediate to advanced.

cheers!
IT can depend, if your club makes beginner all the time... My club seldom has beginner, so what has happened is the novice line eased up a lot, so he's probably right.

My 17 year old recruit is about the same after 5 weeks since he bought his 280. he can almost jump onto a parked car, but if I make him turn tight to jump a 12-18 inch log, he's in trouble

I cannot stress enough, IMHO turning and balance, WORK ON IT. if you can turn (98 of 100 people that is) and keep balance to execute the obstacle you do with a 3/4ths mile "prepare/runup to" you will be damn good very soon. But doing figure 8's for 98 of 100 people, seem boring, especially the younger people. I spend hours, practicing turning techniques, and BTW, Ive been riding for 40 years, I enjoy it, most dont.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
jonnyc21 OP
n00b sums it up.

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
IT can depend, if your club makes beginner all the time... My club seldom has beginner, so what has happened is the novice line eased up a lot, so he's probably right.

My 17 year old recruit is about the same after 5 weeks since he bought his 280. he can almost jump onto a parked car, but if I make him turn tight to jump a 12-18 inch log, he's in trouble

I cannot stress enough, IMHO turning and balance, WORK ON IT. if you can turn (98 of 100 people that is) and keep balance to execute the obstacle you do with a 3/4ths mile "prepare/runup to" you will be damn good very soon. But doing figure 8's for 98 of 100 people, seem boring, especially the younger people. I spend hours, practicing turning techniques, and BTW, Ive been riding for 40 years, I enjoy it, most dont.
Interesting that you bring up turning, the first 4 times I was on the bike (not on a course) it was just in the yard with a flat section and 2 hills to play on forcing me to turn tight, figure 8 level turns and balance. I loved the challenge of making the turns as tight as I could and learning to stop and keep the bike balanced. (Still working on both.)
I found the tight turns he had me doing challenging and fun! I learned how to do them better and better as the day went on. Having to go over a log, up a hill, or down a dip right after a turn was something I new I would have to do but doing it was quite a bit different than I had expected, again fun.

I on the other hand don't think I would be able to jump onto a parked car... :)

Thanks for the advice and I will remember to keep working on the 8's, including on hills, and the balance. (It felt great the first time I stopped the bike and kept it up without moving for more than 60 seconds, longest time so far was about 3 min.)