Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
nameless OP
100% recyclable

Oddometer: 125
BMW ECU - Repro / Configuring - Your Opinions needed/apreciated

Hi everyone!

I've been a member of this forum for some time, and a motorbike enthusiast for longer.
For a living I develop software, and recently joined a company that works with electronics.
Together we are developing a new tool that will provide BMW motorbike (and Jeep 4x4's) owners to change their ECU programming whenever they need, from a few pre-loaded and professionally prepared. They will also be able to order personalized tune-ups.
The difference is that you will not need to go to a specialized dealer do do this, nor will you need to keep any device plugged to the bike. We plan to offer not only the performance improvement, but a few other options like rev and/or speed limitation for when you lend your bike (of for companies that rent),different fuel map optimizations for when riding those countries with less than premium gas, etc. All from the tip of your fingers and in a few minutes.

As soon as it is available i will be posting a link here for a special price for inmates.

What i would really appreciate is to hear your opinions and ideas of what kind of other options you would like to have. Let's say that we can tinker with the electronics and do anything as long as it's controlled from the ECU.

Any ideas/opinions are welcome, thanks for your collaboration.

Daniel

'13 Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré
Keep Calm
and
Carry On
nameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,318
How will the end user access the ECU? Will you have to have a GS911?
Old 12-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
nameless OP
100% recyclable

Hi GB,

no, our product will be everything the end user will need, plus a mobile phone/tablet/pc with Bluetooth (or, if there are many requests we can make one with USB connection as well).

Any other questions you might have i am glad to help.

'13 Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré
Keep Calm
and
Carry On
Old 12-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,873
I'd suggest you read up on the failures of others for other manufacturers if this is a replacement ECU. If it's a piggyback, nevermind :)

I can't tell you how much I wish I hadn't dropped a grand on my Thundermax ECU POS NEVERWORKSRIGHT PITA CRAPPYSUPPORT

Good luck!
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:16 AM   #5
nameless OP
100% recyclable

Thumb

Hi trc , well our product is different from the Thundermax, quite different and it will probably be a lot cheaper. It will not replace your ECU, and in our team is a professional that has worked in the field for about 8 years. We are quality freaks, I will have to be completely happy with it on my own bike before we start selling, and since most of the features we are going to provide are things i would like to have for myself this is why i remembered asking you guys what would you think.

I might even be able to send a few test units to some guys around here so that they can try it and have an unbiased review.

Thanks for your reply and if you have any ideas, we'd like to hear them :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
I'd suggest you read up on the failures of others for other manufacturers if this is a replacement ECU. If it's a piggyback, nevermind :)

I can't tell you how much I wish I hadn't dropped a grand on my Thundermax ECU POS NEVERWORKSRIGHT PITA CRAPPYSUPPORT

Good luck!

'13 Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré
Keep Calm
and
Carry On
Old 12-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Cool!
My wishlist (assuming using wideband O2 sensors):
  • realtime statistics option- like the bullydog systems for diesel motors (app for phone/laptop/tablet ideal)
  • ability to change a couple maps on the fly without nintendo style codes - like the new power commander stuff
  • Ability to export mapping tables (AFR and timing) to a spreadsheet for easy editing and comparison between multiple maps
  • global adjustments for quick changes such as target afr for a given rpm/throttle position
  • "autotune' learning to actively correct minor issues (<10%) with AFR
  • No disabling of basic OEM functions - like distance till empty
  • Abiltity to adjust speedo in a granular way
  • Rev limiter adjustment
  • Historical info - time at rpm, speed, gears, engine temp, max rpm, fault codes
  • Fully waterproof (seems obvious but there are some tuners that aren't or at least weren't)
  • English speaking support that works nights and weekends + a 2 year warranty
I think that covers it for now
Thanks!
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
Old 12-05-2012, 04:52 AM   #7
nameless OP
100% recyclable

Laugh

Hi, thanks for your feedback, so let me try and explain a bit more what we are doing.

Our product will not work as the Power commander types, what we do is to reprogram the original ECU with new parameters according to the client's needs.
Doing that, we can adjust for instance:
  • Throttle responsiveness
  • Injection Control
  • Ignition Control
  • RPM limits
  • Torque Limits
  • Adjust for different heights (atmospheric pressure)
  • Power increase
  • Adjust for different types of fuel
  • Adjust for new gear (exhaust pipes, air filters, etc.)
All our files are tested taking into consideration the AFR and Knock monitoring.
I see that you would also be interested in doing some of the adjustments yourself, that takes some knowledge that most users do not have (in order to be on the safe side) :). We are not planing to do that at first, but if there's demand for that we can later develop a "Pro" version.

As for some of the other points, see our answer between the brackets:

• realtime statistics option - (Yes, it's on our list. You'll be able to see the values on an app that we will provide for free and for iphone/ipad and android models)
  • ability to change a couple maps on the fly without nintendo style codes - (I don't know if i understood correctly what you meant by Nintendo style codes, but if by that you mean to ask if it will be simple to change the maps, then yes it will be very simple, but not on the fly. Since we work with re-flashing the ECU, you will have to stop and turn the bike off, but for less that 5 min). It will be as simple as going to your mobile, open the app, select the map and press GO.
  • No disabling of basic OEM functions - like distance till empty - (All the OEM functions will be untouched, everything that the on-board computer had before, will continue to work as normal)
  • Historical info - time at rpm, speed, gears, engine temp, max rpm, fault codes - (Yes, also on our list. Plus we are developing the server side as well, and plan on providing the users with an on-line backup of such info, chart/graphics ability and the ability to share.
  • Fully waterproof (seems obvious but there are some tuners that aren't or at least weren't) - (Yes, also on our list)
  • English speaking support that works nights and weekends + a 2 year warranty - (The 2 year warranty for sure. English speaking support also, but i'm not going to lie, since we are still a small company it will be a bit difficult to provide an immediate 24/7 support from the start. But there will always be a way for costumers to communicate with us.

Hopefully this answer all your questions, feel free to add something.

Thanks for your feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
Cool!
My wishlist (assuming using wideband O2 sensors):
  • realtime statistics option- like the bullydog systems for diesel motors (app for phone/laptop/tablet ideal)
  • ability to change a couple maps on the fly without nintendo style codes - like the new power commander stuff
  • Ability to export mapping tables (AFR and timing) to a spreadsheet for easy editing and comparison between multiple maps
  • global adjustments for quick changes such as target afr for a given rpm/throttle position
  • "autotune' learning to actively correct minor issues (<10%) with AFR
  • No disabling of basic OEM functions - like distance till empty
  • Abiltity to adjust speedo in a granular way
  • Rev limiter adjustment
  • Historical info - time at rpm, speed, gears, engine temp, max rpm, fault codes
  • Fully waterproof (seems obvious but there are some tuners that aren't or at least weren't)
  • English speaking support that works nights and weekends + a 2 year warranty
I think that covers it for now
Thanks!

'13 Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré
Keep Calm
and
Carry On
Old 12-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Thank you. Sounds like you have it covered.

The nintendo like setup i mentioned comes from my T-max that requires a combination of turnsignal depressions, run switch moves and remembering what it means as the tach and speedo point to different numbers. Very messy :)

no need for 24/7 but when i have an issue and need to be at my bike to work with support, it's difficult to do so while I'm supposed to be at my desk working. Hopefully no issues :)

I've had 3 different tuners on 3 different bikes and am still looking for one that just works all the time and doesn't make me regret my purchase. PCIII was the closest but still a mess and eventually suffered from heat soak and died, leaving me stranded.
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
Old 12-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
torquerat
just getting started

Oddometer: 67
Cool. I have a BMW and a jeep. but I am going to guess that one unit will not work for both?
Old 12-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
I'd be VERY interested if this could give me ignition timing... that way I can retard the timing for bad gas
Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #11
FTBTX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Will it be able to be fed GPS data (i.e. altitude) from a smartphone and adjust as necessary?
FTBTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:28 AM   #12
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Daniel;

Here's one on my wish list..........the unit should be able to be programmed using a Mac or Iphone.

On my HP2, I went with a PC V........I was not comfortable sending my ECU out for a reflash.............how can you guarantee your unit will not cause irreparable damage to the ECU?

Thanks for asking.............good luck.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #13
nameless OP
100% recyclable

Thumb

Thank you all for your feedback and questions; I will do my best to answer them all

trc.rhubarb : Thanks, we are working hard to take care of all the bits and pieces so that everything works flawlessly. Our product will be very simple to use. Regarding the support, there is very little that could cause a problem, but if for some reason some tweaking is needed all you would have to do is send a new file to the bike, that means that if you left the device connected would only have to pair it with the mobile/tablet/pc and transfer a new file, that could be done at your convenience not ours.
We are doing something different to the PC. You can connect, transfer a file and take the device off; it will not let you stranded.

torquerat: It will work on both. You’ll only need a different file and the plug is also different, but the core device will work ;).

Motorfiets: Hehehe nice to hear that, but you won’t need it. We will have that covered with maps for different quality of fuel, low octane, normal and premium…That’s the cool part, if you go from the States to South America or something you can load a file for the highway and premium fuel, and then you can change it easily for poorer fuel.

FTBTX: That would be great, but unfortunately one can’t reflash the ECU (not the one’s on these bikes/cars anyway J ) on the fly. The motorbike already compensates for some of the pressure differences. What we will do is have some files available that adjust the values for bigger differences; it will be useful for users that plan on traveling and passing high/low altitudes.

Droptarotter: I work on a mac so they’ll be covered hehehe, iphone/ipad as well. Your concern is important, but you will not need to send us your ECU, and we are working in this field for more than 8 years, we have that concern as well and will be building a failsafe device, you will always be able to at the very least put the original file back and there is no worry about damaging something. The way we are developing you could even pull the device while doing the reflash, and it will restart when reconnected, of course if the battery dies it will stop, but as soon as you get a new battery or connect the jumper cables it will restart as well.

It’s great to have your participation, I hope to have answered in a way to make myself understood, but feel free to add some more questions.

Thanks guys!

'13 Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré
Keep Calm
and
Carry On
Old 12-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #14
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
If you get these to a stage where you are ready for testing, I have two R1200 BMW's............a 12S and an HP2 Sport.
I also have access to a Dynojet dyno that a good friend owns ( I would still have to pay for the time),so we can set the bike up properly and see graphed changes. Not just a seat of the pants feel!

Keep us posted!

Cheers
Old 12-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #15
nameless OP
100% recyclable

Thumb

Thanks Droptarotter, we also have a dyno and will provide the graphs, but as i said, the unbiased reviews are important to us as well.
I will provide news as they come :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
If you get these to a stage where you are ready for testing, I have two R1200 BMW's............a 12S and an HP2 Sport.
I also have access to a Dynojet dyno that a good friend owns ( I would still have to pay for the time),so we can set the bike up properly and see graphed changes. Not just a seat of the pants feel!

Keep us posted!

Cheers

'13 Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré
Keep Calm
and
Carry On