ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #16
azcycle OP
Chihuahua Wrangler
 
azcycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
I had one as a rental for a week a couple years ago and I absolutely hated driving that thing, the seating position was really low and awkward, the visibility out of an normal mid-size SUV is so much better. Being so low and long, parallel parking it was a bitch but no more so than a Full Size SUV. I also think it's super ugly. It really amazes me that they dropped the Freestyle/Taurus-X in favor of this the Flex. If you're used to driving a regular SUV I think it'll take some getting used to. At the time my personal vehicle was a 4th Gen 4runner and I was so happy to be back in that thing after returning the Flex.

If I were in the Market for a new family hauler type vehicle. I'd rather one of the new Escapes over the Flex. have no clue what the $ difference is between the 2 though.
I'd love an Escape but they're in the same size-range as my Jeep Patriot, which now is too small. We've got to move up in size a bit and out of all the larger "crossover" SUV's the Edge just seems to fit. Kinda like a station wagon of old on steriods without the stigma of a huge SUV or soccer-mom mini-van.

I do appreciate your "other side of the coin" opinion.

I got the official "I actually like them... Let's do it!" from the wife last night. Looks like we'll be selling her Volvo C30 (anyone interested ha!) and trading in my Patriot in January, and going down to one main vehicle with the Flex. We've done the one-car thing before and can handle it. Plus with my old Mustang, the motorcycle, 5 bicycles, and living along a main bus line straight to work, I think we'll make it work until we can unload some debt.
__________________
1981 BMW r65 - Photos
azcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #17
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.
 
cbolling's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Greenville, SC
Oddometer: 2,642
I test drove one a couple of years ago. The thing was awesome!
__________________
2011 Kawasaki Versys

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:06 AM   #18
PMC
riding rider
 
PMC's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Twin Cities MN
Oddometer: 760
I'm piling on the EcoBoost bandwagon
I have one in my truck and it's freaking fantastic. Fairly good MPG and goes like a bat out of hell when you step on it. 365 hp and 420 tq out of a 3.5l is crazy.
The Flex with the 365hp motor used in the SHO would be a gas to drive.

If I have anything to say about it (and I will) my wife's next car will have some variant of the EcoBoost in it.
__________________
_______________________________
12 Yamaha Super T
11 HD Ultra Limited Sunglo Cherry Red & Merlot
PMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #19
azcycle OP
Chihuahua Wrangler
 
azcycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Oddometer: 704
Update!

We spent last week doing some research and found a 2012 Flex SEL in white with "light stone" interior. We test drove it, as well as an Edge, because my wife liked the look of the Edge better. But after both of us driving the Edge, we didn't like it much. It was fine, I guess. While it was bigger than my Patriot, the rear cargo room wasn't. Plus, it just felt cheaper. So a big "no" there.

Then we drove the Flex. My wife got in, her eyes widened and she looked at me and said: "I REALLY like this!" She also loved driving it, as she will be driving it 80% of the time. I was pretty much sold before I walked into the dealer. But the test drive cemented it.

So we sold this on Craigslist for $6500 cash. Sold in about 8 hours:


And we traded this in at the dealer. They basically just paid off the loan for us, which was fine, I suppose:



And this is what we drove away in. A 2012 Ford Flex SEL with about 24k on the clock. Stone leather interior, a lot of bells and whistles, and tons of room to grow into. Rather unfortunate, but it isn't the EcoBoost. They're hard to find, and the dealer told us they're having a problem buying them because they're typically going for MORE than they're worth at auction. They can't get a good profit margin out of 'em.



It drives incredibly well, and even with the non-EcoBoost engine, the 3.5 V6 does pretty well. My wife now loves it.

We've gone to being a one (one being used loosely) car family. Being only 6-miles from work, on a main bus line, with plenty of bicycles, motorcycles, and my 65 Mustang, I won't have any problems commuting.
__________________
1981 BMW r65 - Photos
azcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #20
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2005
Oddometer: 4,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcycle View Post
Update!

We spent last week doing some research and found a 2012 Flex SEL in white with "light stone" interior. We test drove it, as well as an Edge, because my wife liked the look of the Edge better. But after both of us driving the Edge, we didn't like it much. It was fine, I guess. While it was bigger than my Patriot, the rear cargo room wasn't. Plus, it just felt cheaper. So a big "no" there.

Then we drove the Flex. My wife got in, her eyes widened and she looked at me and said: "I REALLY like this!" She also loved driving it, as she will be driving it 80% of the time. I was pretty much sold before I walked into the dealer. But the test drive cemented it.

So we sold this on Craigslist for $6500 cash. Sold in about 8 hours:


And we traded this in at the dealer. They basically just paid off the loan for us, which was fine, I suppose:



And this is what we drove away in. A 2012 Ford Flex SEL with about 24k on the clock. Stone leather interior, a lot of bells and whistles, and tons of room to grow into. Rather unfortunate, but it isn't the EcoBoost. They're hard to find, and the dealer told us they're having a problem buying them because they're typically going for MORE than they're worth at auction. They can't get a good profit margin out of 'em.



It drives incredibly well, and even with the non-EcoBoost engine, the 3.5 V6 does pretty well. My wife now loves it.

We've gone to being a one (one being used loosely) car family. Being only 6-miles from work, on a main bus line, with plenty of bicycles, motorcycles, and my 65 Mustang, I won't have any problems commuting.
Cool! What seating arrangement do you guys get w/ that, the 3-across or the double-bucket?
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #21
azcycle OP
Chihuahua Wrangler
 
azcycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
Cool! What seating arrangement do you guys get w/ that, the 3-across or the double-bucket?
Didn't have any choice, being used. But front is two buckets. Second row is a split-folding bench. Which is good as we can put Max's car seat smack in the middle.
__________________
1981 BMW r65 - Photos
azcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #22
AtlantaViking
Studly Adventurer
 
AtlantaViking's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hotlanta
Oddometer: 764
Congrats

And good choice, that 2012 front end is soooo much nicer looking than the new 2013 style. I really like everything about the Flex, but I just am not liking that new front end style...so in my opinion - you did good.
__________________
I'm here to chew bubblegum and kick ass....and I'm all out of bubble gum

06 Suzi DL1K
99 Suzi DR350SE
AtlantaViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #23
azcycle OP
Chihuahua Wrangler
 
azcycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Oddometer: 704
The "F" in Flex must stand for "F-ing Awesome." What a great truck/van/station wagon/SUV/Thing.



Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaViking View Post
And good choice, that 2012 front end is soooo much nicer looking than the new 2013 style. I really like everything about the Flex, but I just am not liking that new front end style...so in my opinion - you did good.
Agreed. They had a 2013 on the lot and while I still like the new front end, the 2012 is better.
__________________
1981 BMW r65 - Photos
azcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #24
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,222
I think they are cool. Looks a lot like a Range Rover without the price or reliability problems.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #25
GP640
Beastly Adventurer
 
GP640's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: NW AB
Oddometer: 3,148
The "Manbulance" as my friend calls his.
They are great but apparently Jeremy Clarkson hated the one he drove.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #26
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!
 
Maggot12's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Barrie Ont
Oddometer: 2,534
What's the towing capacity?
__________________
Maggot

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #27
Ursa Major
Aghast
 
Ursa Major's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Higher than you
Oddometer: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I think they are cool. Looks a lot like a Range Rover without the price or reliability problems.
Range Rovers have reliability problems?

Oh shit..
__________________
The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter. - Winston Churchill
Ursa Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #28
skwidd
where does this lead?
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Pissing in your Kampfire
Oddometer: 15,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I think they are cool. Looks a lot like a Range Rover without the price or reliability problems.

Bought a 2009 for the Wife new, she loves it.

It took me several weeks to find one without the navigation, 22" rims, AWD, refrigerator, and all the other $15k worth of shit she didn't need.

It has been awesome for near 50k miles now.
__________________
'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #29
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2005
Oddometer: 4,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP640 View Post
The "Manbulance" as my friend calls his.


I call it the "Maxi" Its like the anti-Mini
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #30
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP640 View Post
The "Manbulance" as my friend calls his.
They are great but apparently Jeremy Clarkson hated the one he drove.
Its American. Clarkson hates everything he's ever driven from an American company.

I haven't heard him bragging about his GT lately. Probably hates that too!

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014