Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #31
Groundhog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
I'm just a self taught amature with not too much machine shop experience but have a small 3 axis CNC mill (soon to add the 4th axis), real small manual lathe, small powder coating facilities, tig & mig.
Have lots of experience with (non professional) computer drafting (can't afford auto-cad but own turbo-cad v 18 with 3D) and visual mill.
Think this is a great idea and although I don't have the experience I am willing to help wherever I can - for beers / cost.

Horsepower determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque determines the size of the hole you make.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:05 AM   #32
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,356
Time to rev this up.

I'm working on another project bike, this time a Ninja 650r which I hope to turn into quite a capable dirt road machine. I have been working mostly on lathe projects to mount the KTM triples and swingarm. At some point I will need to address the rearsets.

Being a sportbike, the factory mounts just would not do. So I am thinking I would need a plate of some kind that would bolt to the factory lugs, just swing down and forward more. It would also be great if I could mount dirt bike type footpegs to this.

So here's my question. The cheapest way would be for me to cut it out myself. I've done that before, it looked like I cut it out myself The last time I had rear sets made, I had a local guy waterjet the parts from 3/8" 6061 plate. Which was cheap.

In order to mount the footpegs, I would need tabs coming out of the plate to bolt through the peg. I can weld fine but seems like it would be weak. CNCing it out of a really thick plate would also be very expensive I'm guessing due to time and material waste.

vs stock

You can see where the stock frame mounts are in this woodcraft rearset. I thinking something *generally* along this line. I would want the pegs down further and more forward. I also know that I stand a lot and this will be going offroad so I would want some strength. I had been thinking aluminum but it might be easier/stronger to make it from steel so I can TIG it to the frame instead of relying on 3 M8 bolts at max. Maybe it actually would be lighter out of steel since it would be so much small no needing to pick up 3 bolts so far apart? Plus I can weld the steel ears much easier for the pegs.

I can draw in 3D CAD so I can send someone drawings, anyone here interested in offering up advice and their services? We can discuss compensation offline.

I also have another similar project that is probably best suited for waterjet and will be steel upper shock mount arms to mount the KTM shock to the Ninja frame.

Nessmuk

sailah screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 06:15 AM
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:24 AM   #33
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
I know that this shorts out the intent of exercising the jobshop, but...

Why not just beef up the lower rearset boss and mount a footpeg directly to it? That would get you down and forward, and you can make a bracket for the rear brake MC easily enough.

If not, I have a Taig 4 axis CNC micromill that spends most of it's time holding a bench down. It can do 16"x10"x7" parts.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:47 AM   #34
sailah
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
I know that this shorts out the intent of exercising the jobshop, but...

Why not just beef up the lower rearset boss and mount a footpeg directly to it? That would get you down and forward, and you can make a bracket for the rear brake MC easily enough.

If not, I have a Taig 4 axis CNC micromill that spends most of it's time holding a bench down. It can do 16"x10"x7" parts.
I hate when people make sense. Hmmm I guess I could just drill out the little light weight threaded cap, machine up a insert and weld it into the frame. I did this exact same thing on the CBR and made my own footpegs from aluminum rod but they are too slippery for dirt even if I knurled them.

I'm not really to this stage yet as I want to get the bike sitting on its own 2 wheels in order to get the seat on etc so I know where I want the pegs to be.

The other reason that I want things made for this bike that are more "bolt on" is that I am trying to come up with a basic kit for transforming the Ninja into a super KLR. So I have been carefully thinking things through and keeping good notes and CAD drawings.

The idea is you buy a wrecked Ninja like I did, go shopping for the suspension parts from a KTM (swingarm, shock, rear brake system, wheels w/rotors, forks, triples, front brake) and I would supply the kit with the frame inserts for welding so the KTM swingarm can get mounted, the custom stem to adapt the KTM triples to the stock Ninja bearings etc. There will obviously be fabrication involved for the end user like welding, but I don't want to make it so custom that the user can't build this bike in their garage with just a welder and basic hand tools.

Your mount system certainly would do that and is way easier for me to do myself. Let me think on this and I'll post up when I am further down the road.

Nessmuk
Old 12-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #35
wolfgangdevine
n00b

Oddometer: 6
CAD and such

I'm an Industrial Design student, so I've got access to a pretty decent shop (pretty limited CNC capability though) with mills, lathes, woodshop stuff, etc. We have got a laser cutter, which can be useful for cutting out templates in acrylic to then transfer into another material via the router table. I'm also pretty decent with CAD and would be happy to help out turning ideas into files ready to be produced as well as producing renderings. I've got the most experience with Solidworks but I can also work in Rhino.

Gotta build up that portfolio...
wolfgangdevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #36
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,334
sailah, I've got you covered on that stuff if you want/need any help.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #37
DaveRMS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,053
Great thread Jesse. I'll post up my capabilities once I can commit some time to actually getting around to machine work (read, after Dakar!).

Dave
DaveRMS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #38
sailah
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
sailah, I've got you covered on that stuff if you want/need any help.
Thanks, that's a little down the road. I might have jumped the gun in trying to get that part made before I have a few more things in place.

Speaking of that I need a simple spacer for a sprocket made. 1/4" aluminum plate, 8mm bolt holes, 125mm ID. Who's able to waterjet this? I can send the CAD file if that's helpful. I made one of these before but it took a lot longer than it was worth. Let me know I have a local guy who can do it but I'd like to get this thread rolling.

Nessmuk
Old 12-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #39
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,334
I've been sending all my stuff to Craig at R&I Industries. It's a laser shop, but have been really happy with the cut quality. Mostly steel parts, but just got a sample for a new roadbook mount that I designed for RMS and it looks great.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #40
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Thanks, that's a little down the road. I might have jumped the gun in trying to get that part made before I have a few more things in place.

Speaking of that I need a simple spacer for a sprocket made. 1/4" aluminum plate, 8mm bolt holes, 125mm ID. Who's able to waterjet this? I can send the CAD file if that's helpful. I made one of these before but it took a lot longer than it was worth. Let me know I have a local guy who can do it but I'd like to get this thread rolling.
Have you seen http://www.bigbluesaw.com? They'll do it for a little over $100 for 1, $30ea for 5. I've never used them but it looks pretty good.

On a vaguely related note, is there anyone who makes custom sized spacers? For axle spacing, bearing id/od matching, etc. It's the sort of thing that most projects need and is easy if you have a lathe, really hard if you don't.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #41
sailah
Lampin' it

I have a few waterjet shops I use locally. I was hoping there was a member here who wanted the beer money and we could show off the goods to encourage more horse trading. My local guy is doing it for $25 and he felt bad charging me that.

Nessmuk
Old 12-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #42
sailah
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Have you seen http://www.bigbluesaw.com? They'll do it for a little over $100 for 1, $30ea for 5. I've never used them but it looks pretty good.

On a vaguely related note, is there anyone who makes custom sized spacers? For axle spacing, bearing id/od matching, etc. It's the sort of thing that most projects need and is easy if you have a lathe, really hard if you don't.

I've done them a few times. Do you need something currently or just asking in general? If you need a spacer I can certainly help although I'm not exactly qualified to call myself a pro

Nessmuk
Old 12-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #43
Luke
GPoET&P

Quote:
I have a few waterjet shops I use locally. I was hoping there was a member here who wanted the beer money and we could show off the goods to encourage more horse trading. My local guy is doing it for $25 and he felt bad charging me that.

That sounds better. After pricing things out on emachineshop everything else looks really cheap.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #44
Luke
GPoET&P

Quote:
I've done them a few times. Do you need something currently or just asking in general? If you need a spacer I can certainly help although I'm not exactly qualified to call myself a pro

Just asking in general. I'm pretty well set up in lathes now. (Thanks again, for that) It just occurred to me that most projects require spacers in odd sizes. I'll probably have made a half dozen different ones by the time I'm done with the current bike.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #45
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,544
I have access to a 3-axis high speed mill. (Cnc router). Can supply 5052 aluminum sheet in the range of .040''-.375''. Have various sizes of 6061 alum plate .5"-1" thick. Acrylic sheet in various thickness and colors as well as polycarbonate sheet.

I can design and cut 2d shapes with ease out of non-ferrous metals, plastics and woods. (Sheet goods)

I Also can supply, design and cut all types of self adhesive vinyl graphics. Can supply full size paper patterns for fabrication purposes.

Looking to do one off stuff for personal projects to make some side money.