Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #2911
avconnect
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Crawler View Post
The dimmer works perfect. You can set the level to what ever brightness you want for "low beam" and never mess with the remote again. I ordered the KTM kit so mine came wired with the factory connector, and took about 2 min. to install. The dimmer is pretty bulky, but I managed to install it behind the mask without even using the supplied extensions as I did not like how far the mask sat out from the forks, and looking at that rats nest of wires behind it. Now I just have to figure out a way to get more downward adjustment out of the light as it is pointed too high without the extensions. It should not be that big of a problem, but I might have to Dremel a little more clearance out of the mask so it can tilt down that far. The light is awesome and very high quality. I would recommend buying the dimmer though, so you can run it on a "low beam" when conditions require. Also on full power you might be mistaken for a UFO landing in the forest somewhere!
Great. Thanks forthe input. I spent time cleaning up the rats nest so I have room to spare now, having used the extensions and removed the turn signals.
avconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #2912
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngads View Post
anyone have experience with the map switch?

I am trying to decide between the 500 and the 350, but i feel like in the long run i would want more power. However, in tight tracks i feel like the 500 may have too much power.

If the map switch on the low setting dials down the power to usable in tight situations then i would def. be set on the 500.

any help would be greatly appreciated!
I have a 2012 500 EXC with the Euro map installed and the map switch. The mild setting makes the throttle more linear. It takes out the snappy response and replaces it with an electric motor feel. The throttle is less responsive. It makes riding in the rocks and mud much easier.
The standard setting seems to have a more rounded power band snappy low end, a strong mid range and good top end. More throttle equals more speed.
The wild setting shifts the power to the mid range and top end. Less low end torque and more top end power is the feeling I get from it.
To change the map setting, flip the switch to the setting you want, kill the motor with the ignition switch,restart and the new setting will be active. The Euro manual says that the setting can also be changed by letting the engine go to idle. I keep meaning to try this but I am having so much fun that I forget I even have the switch. I end up leaving the bike in standard mode since it feels the most versatile.
This bike will pull from idle to 10000 rpm. When I picked it up at the dealer he said "Watch out, it goes faster than you think it does."
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #2913
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
I may have posted this before....can't recall..... but, some folks asked for some more info on this setup, so I took some more pics to post up.....

I went with Powerlet due to their reliability and quality products for motorcycles.

Here is a listing of what I've put on my KTM 500 EXC

Low-Profile Powerlet Socket
PowerLet Fuse Block Assembly
Rigid Powerlet to Cigarette Socket Adapter
Micro USB Short Powerlet Charging Cable
Here is an image of the Fuse Block installed next to the Battery and next to the stock Fuse Block. This Fuse Block interfaces between the battery and the following:

Hard-wired GPS
Trickle Charger - That can double as a heater for a vest
PowerLet Plug - mounted on the HDB bar
AdvMonstor LED lights - To be setup

Here are some more pics of the full setup
Of course, you don't want to be in motion with you ipod charging......

As far as power drain, it's really a non-issue.

Generally any USB device (iPod, cell phone) pulls 5V, which is nothing compared to the 200W the system pumps out.
To get a rough estimate of your available power...

200 Watts divided by available voltage (12), allows for roughly 16.5 amps.
16.5amps is a lot of juice, plenty for any accessories you can slap on a dirt bike.

Anyhow, this is the current setup....soon, I'll be adding the AdvMonster lights....should be awesome.....
Steve

Thanks for the pics and explanation. I've got the HDB setup on my 500, 2 other bikes too (love it). How did you re-route the front brake line so it's not over top the gauge protector?
Does the low profile PowerLet socket come with wire to reach the fuse block assembly or did you splice between the fuse block and socket? I'm not experienced in electrical matter so if it ain't plug and play I'm sitting there staring at it thinking, "now what?".

Thanks

Garrett
Old 12-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #2914
redtale2000
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by snow View Post
Has anyone used the Nomadic Cycle Racks on their 500 EXC they are for sale on eBay.
I installed one on my 350 EXC-F (I'm 99% sure the frame is the same as the 500, at least back there) but it has real problems. Overall, nicely made but the mounting arrangement is WEAK on this model: The rack mount consists of two cylinders that are supposed to slip into the two cylinders at the very rear of the subframe where the fender mounts. A through-bolt is supposed to hold these cylinders together. There is also a very short (less than an inch) tab attached right at one of the cylinders that is bolted to the exhaust mount and is supposed to be the 3rd of what needs to be a 3 point mount.
First problem is that the very sturdy powder coat on the rack makes the rack cylinders too big to fit into the frame cylinders. After much filing and sanding, I got the cylinders to "mate" but not perfectly. I installed Loctited bolts as tight as I dared. First rocky ride with a few tools on the rack and it worked itself loose enough to snap off the tab.
The real problem with this model is the lack of a real 3rd mounting point. If you look at the other Nomadic models they all have some other bracket or tab that is several inches away from the other mounts, providing a sturdy mount. This model is essentially cantilevered from the two cylinders which aren't very secure to begin with.
After the failure, emails to Justin Neimeyer of Nomadic got no response at all. It was after the 90 day warranty period (I had not got around to installing it for awhile after purchase) but you'd think there would at least be some response.
As I mentioned, the rack seems well made, especially for the price, but the design on this particular model is crap.
Bit the $billet$ and went w/Pro-Moto. Now that"s bullet-proof.
redtale2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #2915
ngads
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt Phorks View Post
I have a 2012 500 EXC with the Euro map installed and the map switch. The mild setting makes the throttle more linear. It takes out the snappy response and replaces it with an electric motor feel. The throttle is less responsive. It makes riding in the rocks and mud much easier.
The standard setting seems to have a more rounded power band snappy low end, a strong mid range and good top end. More throttle equals more speed.
The wild setting shifts the power to the mid range and top end. Less low end torque and more top end power is the feeling I get from it.
To change the map setting, flip the switch to the setting you want, kill the motor with the ignition switch,restart and the new setting will be active. The Euro manual says that the setting can also be changed by letting the engine go to idle. I keep meaning to try this but I am having so much fun that I forget I even have the switch. I end up leaving the bike in standard mode since it feels the most versatile.
This bike will pull from idle to 10000 rpm. When I picked it up at the dealer he said "Watch out, it goes faster than you think it does."

Great thanks for the info !
ngads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #2916
avconnect
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post
Steve

Thanks for the pics and explanation. I've got the HDB setup on my 500, 2 other bikes too (love it). How did you re-route the front brake line so it's not over top the gauge protector?
Does the low profile PowerLet socket come with wire to reach the fuse block assembly or did you splice between the fuse block and socket? I'm not experienced in electrical matter so if it ain't plug and play I'm sitting there staring at it thinking, "now what?".

Thanks

Garrett
I have been unable to find a solution for the routing of my clutch cable. A different HDB top clam that is shorter on the above the bars side might do it but then you are giving up some real estate that is what makes HDB so desirable. What we really need to find is a clutch cable that dives or angles downward sooner. I tried the Moose cable and it did nothing to help the problem. For now, I am keeping an eye on the cable.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #2917
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
powerlet for gps ?

In the past I've used the gps hardwire cable to power my gps direct from the battery via inline fuse.

I'll be installing the HDB setup soon which will include a low profile powerlet socket in the top clamp.

Rather than running the gps hardwire cable to the battery, I'm thinking of hardwiring the powerlet socket direct to the battery with inline fuse, then attach the low profile right angle powerlet plug to the end of the gps hardwire cable.

That way I dont have a cable dangling around when the gps is not on the bike. The only other use for the powerlet will be stationary use such as tyre pump or usb phone charger.

Question

Will the right angle powerlet plug to powerlet socket be a secure enough connection to provide uninterrupted power to the gps when riding over rough terrain ?
bill1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #2918
hoss314
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Just installed the BD dimmer switch for my Squadron. Works awesome! A plug and play set up...low beam is adjustable and uses the stock switch. Mounts on back side of headlight shroud.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #2919
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by avconnect View Post
I have been unable to find a solution for the routing of my clutch cable. A different HDB top clam that is shorter on the above the bars side might do it but then you are giving up some real estate that is what makes HDB so desirable. What we really need to find is a clutch cable that dives or angles downward sooner. I tried the Moose cable and it did nothing to help the problem. For now, I am keeping an eye on the cable.
Hi Av
Have you seen the cable hooking on the protector at all? Mine seems like it should be OK but it is at the end of it's travel. I've got a tall riser from HDB so I may have to order a shorter unit if it's problematic. Don't have my studs on yet so I haven't ridden the thing since I brought it home. :(

Garrett
Old 12-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #2920
toeneal
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss314 View Post
Just installed the BD dimmer switch for my Squadron. Works awesome! A plug and play set up...low beam is adjustable and uses the stock switch. Mounts on back side of headlight shroud.

I installed the BD light with dimmer last night and went for a short ride. At full power it is absolutely incredible. Is it normal to have a 2-3 second delay when switching from full power to "low beam"?
toeneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #2921
avconnect
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post
Hi Av
Have you seen the cable hooking on the protector at all? Mine seems like it should be OK but it is at the end of it's travel. I've got a tall riser from HDB so I may have to order a shorter unit if it's problematic. Don't have my studs on yet so I haven't ridden the thing since I brought it home. :(

Garrett
I have not seen it hang up in riding conditions. I have very tall risers as I am 6'5". That may also be part of the problem.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #2922
avconnect
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeneal View Post
I installed the BD light with dimmer last night and went for a short ride. At full power it is absolutely incredible. Is it normal to have a 2-3 second delay when switching from full power to "low beam"?
Can you post a picture or two? Has anyone used the SAR switch with the dimmer?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #2923
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by toeneal View Post
Mine switches instantly. I would not want any delay. Contact support.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #2924
Nomad
High Speed Low Drag

Oddometer: 244
anybody out there using the BD ignition switch? if so which way do you turn the key for power on? mine powers on when it turns to the left which is opposite the factory switch. did I do something wrong?

Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #2925
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss314 View Post

Curious what this light and dimmer look like? Ya got any pix?