Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #76
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 18,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwloco View Post
Gosh, I must be stupid. To my eyes the K 1 was a styling exercise that failed. If you are 6'5" fine. I would take a K1100 over a K1 any day. Better ergonomics for my 5'10" frame. Perfect for my R100RS too.

I don't think anyone paid retail for a K1. About 20 other more desirable and collectible bikes come to mind.

Whatever blows up your skirt.... Hell, some folks collect Vegas.

You just don't get it.
This bike was styled with a rider on it. It does look pretty homely by itself, but when you see it with a rider on it, it works.
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #77
wiz.au
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
K1 "fit"

Bought mine in 1994 (1990 model), and now have 110,000kms on it. I find it very reliable. One burnt valve which was caused by racing it then doing @240kph for 2 hours out the back of SA on the way home. Everything else has been crash damage, as I've layed it down once, and put it into a "road closed" street sign at night.

Mentioning "racing", I don't understand you guys that say it's slow? 0-100 in 4.7sec, top speed I've actually DONE 245kph. I get around Phillip Island on it fast enough for me, and round up a few Duc916's while I'm at it. (Ok, they are weekend riders who trailer their bikes and can't ride). The K1200RS came out with THE SAME specifications! It's no GSXR750/1100, and certainly not as fast in a straight line as my GPz750Turbo, but what do you want/expect from a BMW "tourer"?

I also don't understand you guys that say you need to be tall to fit a K1? I bought mine specifically because the K100RS I was riding didn't fit me properly. I'm a short arsed 5'8" with really short legs, and the K1 fits me "perfectly". Every tall person that has tried mine has hated it. (Maybe everyone except me hates it?)

The prices here in Oz are creeping up. I paid $14k for mine, it dropped to $6k-$7k about 9 years ago, now it's back to around $9k-$10k from what I see. But mines no showroom pony. It's got chips, marks, gets left outside for years on end, sometimes it gets a cover. I bought it to ride. I also like "collecting" rare-ish BMW bikes, hence the 2004 Dakar as well.

I had mine completely repainted after the last get-off, and if anyone with the blue/yellow wants a cheap paint you can't pick the difference, try Hyundai Napoli Blue, paint code EA. Well, maybe you could pick the difference if you had two side by side. It probably wouldn't work for a touch-up paint, but maybe it might? It's bloody close and 1/4 the price of the BMW paint, and VERY easy to match and touch up later.

I have gaiters on mine, as you can see (pretty blue ones!). Those forks are not good, so if you have a K1, cover them if you ride it. In the 15 years I've owned it, the last set of fork seals I put in it, was when I put the gaiters on.

Replacing the BMW rear shock with the Fox Twin Clicker got me about 2 seconds at Phillip Island. It really makes a difference setting the rear up on these.

I've just signed up for the BMW TS Safari, so I'll be doing some long days on it again. It's been about 7 years since I did any long distance riding on it, so I hope it still "fits"! Better get some miles on it and me over the next month or so to make sure, or I'll have to take the Dakar!

wiz.au screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 10:52 PM
wiz.au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:19 AM   #78
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,206
One of my local salvage yards has one of these rotting in a corner. A blue one, if I remember. It would be an interesting project. But there's a limit to what sort of orphans even I can drag home, and I think that one's past it.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:52 AM   #79
Wanderer2012
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
On the market

A K1 Appeared on out NZ Trade me site the other day, Interesting colour scheme to, and a google search for images didn't find another like it, so not sure if its factory original or not...
I have a desire for one of these one day, timings not so good rite now though...

Jeremy.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=634029869
Wanderer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #80
CoolCarbon
By the Tay

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer2012 View Post
A K1 Appeared on out NZ Trade me site the other day, Interesting colour scheme to, and a google search for images didn't find another like it, so not sure if its factory original or not...
I have a desire for one of these one day, timings not so good rite now though...

Jeremy.

Looks like all he's done is add the sticker/transfer to the lower fairing, everything else looks like a standard black version like mine...
Old 09-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #81
Wanderer2012
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCarbon View Post
Looks like all he's done is add the sticker/transfer to the lower fairing, everything else looks like a standard black version like mine...
Hi, Ok yes i did wonder if that mite be the case... How have you found your K1 ownership... Do you have a pic or two of yours you would be willing to share...

Cheers Jeremy
Old 09-08-2013, 12:16 AM   #82
CoolCarbon
By the Tay

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Do you have a pic or two of yours you would be willing to share
Well you did ask....

I bought it last year with less than 1600 miles from New! I did own one in the 90s which I enjoyed a lot but sold it in 2000. When this one popped up, I couldn't resist...

As it happens, we have a member on UKGser that knows the K series rather well and has, what appears to be, a perverse fetish in taking them apart, doing whatever is necessary, then putting them back together.

This is his very detailed log of that very intimate process....Get yourself comfortable and enjoy...

Mike has done a few other 'Transformations' which are recorded over there...
Old 09-08-2013, 12:58 AM   #83
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,033
Quote:

Jeremy.

Under its skirt it's just a K100rs4v.

For that money grab it.

This is gaspipe's , an inmate here.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:36 AM   #84
Wanderer2012
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCarbon View Post
Well you did ask....

I bought it last year with less than 1600 miles from New! I did own one in the 90s which I enjoyed a lot but sold it in 2000. When this one popped up, I couldn't resist...

As it happens, we have a member on UKGser that knows the K series rather well and has, what appears to be, a perverse fetish in taking them apart, doing whatever is necessary, then putting them back together.

This is his very detailed log of that very intimate process....Get yourself comfortable and enjoy...

Mike has done a few other 'Transformations' which are recorded over there...
Shall go look... Thank you very much...
Old 09-08-2013, 01:39 AM   #85
Wanderer2012
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700 View Post
Under its skirt it's just a K100rs4v.

For that money grab it.

This is gaspipe's , an inmate here.

That bike looks very tidy, well cared for... Thanks for sharing...
Shall see what happens with the K1 on our for sale site, Looks like it mite be a US Import to, with a MPH speedo, an 23k miles, would be a good buy i think...

Cheers Jeremy
Old 09-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #86
Reopropf
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I want a pristine red/mustard K1.
I hope one finds me in the next year.

Peter
Reopropf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:48 AM   #87
bmwloco
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,105
Back in the day, and I am not making this up, wags called the red and yellow one the "Ronald Macdonald" bike.

It is striking, in a way only the Germans can make it.

In the same relative era, I would much rather grock on a 900SS or 916 Ducati relative same aerodynamics, but dang if they ain't just purty (said in my best Appalachian drawl)
Airhead #371
bmwloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #88
Reopropf
n00b

Oddometer: 5
My major concern regarding a K1, besides already owning 2 GREAT KRS' and not 'needing another, is: my concern regarding battleship turning radius and heat. It will probably be these 3 issues that will keep a K1 in my dreams rather than in my garage.

Peter
Reopropf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #89
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,847
They are hot to ride, so it makes a good spring and fall bike.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #90
heliport13
Banned

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reopropf View Post
battleship turning radius
A poor craftsman blames his tools.
heliport13 is offline   Reply With Quote