Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #1636
DaFoole
Born Again Asshole..

Oddometer: 3,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerChef View Post
That is a lot of damage for a Ural!

Keep in mind it also does not do so well in deep sand and rocks...

Ara and Spirit
Another great video.

Thanks Ara
Old 12-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #1637
Smoke Eater 3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
On top of all that

I bought a Ural chair for my BMW. I know it's blasphemy but I'm really happy with the set up. I had to fabricate a brake attachment but so far it's been nothing but good. Not having a Ural motor might have something to do with that but if you are looking for just the side hack then Urals are quite good.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:43 AM   #1638
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Oddometer: 3,270
It is not blasphemy. We have both. They are two very different machines. :)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
BeemerChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #1639
Tengai In Toronto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Not sure if anyone mentioned this... because I don't want to read 110 pages of this thread to find out. But apparently until their demise, used Yugos were often sold for much more than new ones, because buyers knew that all the faulty factory parts had to have been replaced by the time they were sold second-hand. Not sure how this relates, or if its even relevant to the Ural discussion, just find it interesting, and in the realm of sketchy Euro vehicles.

That being said, I'd love a Ural. If a sorted used one popped up around here I'd be all over it!
'93 Dnepr MT-11
'83 Vespa Primavera ET3
Tengai In Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:00 AM   #1640
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengai In Toronto View Post
Not sure if anyone mentioned this... because I don't want to read 110 pages of this thread to find out. But apparently until their demise, used Yugos were often sold for much more than new ones, because buyers knew that all the faulty factory parts had to have been replaced by the time they were sold second-hand. Not sure how this relates, or if its even relevant to the Ural discussion, just find it interesting, and in the realm of sketchy Euro vehicles.

That being said, I'd love a Ural. If a sorted used one popped up around here I'd be all over it!
That seems to be the consensus with Ural as well (the "used sorted out" part), but price is another matter. I've seen many a used Ural put up for sale at a decent price. I've also seen many a used Ural put up for sale where the person was trying to get the same price (or more) for their used rig as it cost new (bone stock mind you).

I've wanted one for years and I'm willing to accept their shortcomings and faults. I don't ride fast anyway, I like to wrench, my kids absolutely love them, and I like the old school aspect of them. I've got one lined up that I'm hoping to pick up in the next few weeks

Now just keep what I said in mind up there when I post up my first "my Ural broke" posts and I'm all ticked off
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:34 AM   #1641
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengai In Toronto View Post

I think this is BS. No one wanted a Yugo desperately enough to pay more for a used one than for a new one. They'd just buy a used Honda instead. New ones had warranties, after all.

Plus, most of the things that broke on Yugos were piddly crap like window cranks, door latches, climate control cables, and so forth. There weren't any significant problems with the Yugo drivetrain or running gear.

Yes, I had a Yugo for years. I bought it used for $200 with 30,000 miles on it. It was a great little car, providing you could live with manual steering.
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #1642
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbloc View Post
I think this is BS. No one wanted a Yugo desperately enough to pay more for a used one than for a new one. They'd just buy a used Honda instead. New ones had warranties, after all.

Plus, most of the things that broke on Yugos were piddly crap like window cranks, door latches, climate control cables, and so forth. There weren't any significant problems with the Yugo drivetrain or running gear.

Yes, I had a Yugo for years. I bought it used for $200 with 30,000 miles on it. It was a great little car, providing you could live with manual steering.
Man oh man, you got hosed
I got a Yugo right after they went out of business, 4800 miles on it for $300.

It was a fun little car to drive, kinda like a go cart and was awesome off road and in the snow. Only thing I ever had to fix was the head gasket, took a couple of hours and cost like $12.

I much prefer a few minor, easy, low cost repairs every now and then over todays low maintenance "reliable" vehicles that cost a fortune to repair when they do break..........................as they all eventually do.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #1643
BinDerSmokDat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
I bought a new Patrol T in 2010.
Other than the frequent oil changes and a few exhaust flange gaskets (from banging the exhaust on ruts and stuff) it has been very reliable.
I ride in the Pines frequently and all winter.
Yes, it is quirky. Yes the oil changes come a little more frequent than I would like.
Expect to spend about an hour or so sorting out fluid changes and lubing things at regular intervals and after hardcore off-roading/drowning the bike.
Maybe 2 hours checking all the service items like lube points and adjusting valves at the bigger service intervals.
Once you know what to look for/do you can reduce those times.

Yes a Ural based on 70 yeard old technology. Yes quirks and weaknesses pop up from time to time.
But many users have experienced thousands of mile so trouble free riding.

The only thing I'd do different is buy used and save myself a few bucks.
My initial concerns over mechanical breakdowns/warranty prodded me to buy new.

All the problems I've ever experienced were "user interface" problems.
"That water isn't THAT deep."
"Hey guys, watch this!"
"Oh I was suppose to grease that?"
"I could use 3WD about now."

BinDerSmokDat screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 10:59 AM Reason: Clarification of service times.
BinDerSmokDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #1644
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
It's the machine to have in the event of a meteor or other form of apocalypse!

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #1645
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

That's good! It is exactly what you wrote. With 5000Km's on ours, no problems.
Must is a spare air filter ready. We are in very fine dust conditions off road here and the filter will clog up as fast as 300~400Km's. [I learned that the hard way!]
We never had so much fun!
That's the reason you should never buy a Ural!

Stay well, Ara and Spirit

Old 02-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #1646
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague View Post
It's the machine to have in the event of a meteor or other form of apocalypse!
I wish we had footage of the locals scrambling on Urals after the Meteor hit... Ural area. What a commercial that would be! Priceless.

Ara and Spirit
Old 02-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #1647
grisezd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Just wanted to report in that I've just purchased a Ural. I have a few weeks to wait before the misery starts. Looking very much forward to everything that will undoubtably go wrong so I can start my own thread!!!
grisezd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #1648
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by grisezd View Post
Just wanted to report in that I've just purchased a Ural. I have a few weeks to wait before the misery starts. Looking very much forward to everything that will undoubtably go wrong so I can start my own thread!!!
You poor blighter, welcome aboard the collective misery of Ural ownership.

Enjoy!

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #1649
airspro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
"I could use 3WD about now."
That made me lol :)

best
spro
airspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #1650
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by grisezd View Post

Even Spirit is feeling bad for you!

Russian Music and all!

Ara and Spirit