Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 03:35 AM   #106
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
1) strength is really good. Been down on rocks a few times, and although not cosmetically pretty still 100% on protection.

2) using RTV sealant was not such a good idea. These tanks "breathe" fumes and one of mine simply fell off while riding. Spent ages looking for it but it's gone for good :( There was no sealant stil on the tank, the vapours had lifted it off & I guess it was all still on the cover. I have now taken my other off, re-RTV'd it, but also put some gaffer tape around the edges (and under the tank, orange cover) to stop the last one going walkies when the vapours release the sealant again.

I'd buy another set (or just the one) if they were cheap, but what with import duties it's just too spendy for my right now.

cheers

Markie
Old 12-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #107
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by markie_wales View Post
1) strength is really good. Been down on rocks a few times, and although not cosmetically pretty still 100% on protection.

2) using RTV sealant was not such a good idea. These tanks "breathe" fumes and one of mine simply fell off while riding. Spent ages looking for it but it's gone for good :( There was no sealant stil on the tank, the vapours had lifted it off & I guess it was all still on the cover. I have now taken my other off, re-RTV'd it, but also put some gaffer tape around the edges (and under the tank, orange cover) to stop the last one going walkies when the vapours release the sealant again.

I'd buy another set (or just the one) if they were cheap, but what with import duties it's just too spendy for my right now.

cheers

Markie
Great feedback Mark..Ill send you another at no charge for the part. Please PM me for details.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:32 AM   #108
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops Motorsports View Post
Great feedback Mark..Ill send you another at no charge for the part. Please PM me for details.
Well thank you - that is a very generous offer - PM sent!!

As I said above - can thoroughly recommend the guard for strength, we just need to be a bit more careful on fitting, or check the RTV sealant I think.

see there are people who "get" Customer Service
cheers

Markie
Old 12-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #109
SE Steve
Super Noob

Oddometer: 218
I have had the same luck RTV Adhesive brand new tank I sanded the tank to rough up the surface so it would stick better. They stayed on for about 2000 miles 1 feel off in my garage and the other on the road. I was riding with a friend and lucky he saw it fall off. Try #2 I wire wheeled all the RTV off the covers and then tried to refit with 3m molding adhesive looks like it may work better but the covers don't fit the tank very well I don't know at this point how to get them to stay on.

before the RTV adhesive I also tried 3m double sided molding tape. Same thing i used on my swing arm covers and stock tank guards It wouldn't stick to the Safari tank.

Let me know if anyone comes up with a solution.
SE Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #110
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Steve View Post
I have had the same luck RTV Adhesive brand new tank I sanded the tank to rough up the surface so it would stick better. They stayed on for about 2000 miles 1 feel off in my garage and the other on the road. I was riding with a friend and lucky he saw it fall off. Try #2 I wire wheeled all the RTV off the covers and then tried to refit with 3m molding adhesive looks like it may work better but the covers don't fit the tank very well I don't know at this point how to get them to stay on.

before the RTV adhesive I also tried 3m double sided molding tape. Same thing i used on my swing arm covers and stock tank guards It wouldn't stick to the Safari tank.

Was that standard 3M stuff or their VHB tape? The latter really does have a very high bond, but with gas fumes nothing will be easy.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #111
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

We pulled the molds staright from a safari tank. is it possible that a tank can distort a bit?. All the ones we fit up seamed to fit very well.
Ill look into other adhesives.
1-800-624-0278
Old 12-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #112
SE Steve
Super Noob

They fit well when I first put them on. I think the tank must have expanded or something. Maybe I was to aggressive when I was cleaning the RTV off. I cleaned the clear coat off and they look really cool just need to figure out how keep them on.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #113
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
They fit well when I first put them on. I think the tank must have expanded or something. Maybe I was to aggressive when I was cleaning the RTV off. I cleaned the clear coat off and they look really cool just need to figure out how keep them on.
I didn't see this coming. sorry guys, I made a bad recommendation and will replace missing guards at this point.for a limited time, now is your chance to check them and replace the adhesive with something more suitable, If you lost a guard Pm me..
. My ADV tank that my guards are on is painted so no issue.

I just got this off the net.
Permatex offers the solvent based Form-A-Gasket products or MotoSeal #29132 [hyperlink to 29132 product page] that are designed for applications in a gasoline environment.
1-800-624-0278
Old 12-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #114
Riddler990
I Suck, You Rule.

Oddometer: 523
Another product to try is Permatex "the right stuff" found at any auto supply house. Has solved many sealing issues on my cars, valve covers, valley pans etc. It is not as slick as rtv, stays in place really well. Seems to be a better "glue" than silicone. I used it on my set from CMS, although I can't attest to how well it's holding up as the tank has been sold off. I did however use the same "right stuff" on a set of Carbon Works CF guards for a stock SE tank and they are holding up with no issues.
Riddler990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #115
mattc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
Riddler, I think I bought your tank with guards. They are still in place, and the goo holding them on looks solid. No signs of them coming off.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #116
SE Steve
Super Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops Motorsports View Post
I didn't see this coming. sorry guys, I made a bad recommendation and will replace missing guards at this point.for a limited time, now is your chance to check them and replace the adhesive with something more suitable, If you lost a guard Pm me..
. My ADV tank that my guards are on is painted so no issue.

I just got this off the net.
Permatex offers the solvent based Form-A-Gasket products or MotoSeal #29132 [hyperlink to 29132 product page] that are designed for applications in a gasoline environment.

I think the guards are great quality. Just need to figure how to stick them on. I don't know what the tanks are made of but nothing sticks to mine every sticker I have put on has pealed off.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #117
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,590
I pulled pretty hard on mine the other day (once I saw this thread again).... they are still stuck on nicely.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #118
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
I pulled pretty hard on mine the other day (once I saw this thread again).... they are still stuck on nicely.
Good to hear Traveltoad. I also checked a local riders tank out and no issues. It looked as though it would be tough to pull them off.
We used an empty tank, and acetone to clean the spot where the guards where to go..Tough stuff was our adhesive. We used enough that it oozed out the sides a bit and had to be cleaned off.
1-800-624-0278
Old 03-20-2013, 04:40 AM   #119
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Just got to say a big "bloody well done" & thank you to all those at Cyclops Motorsports and Daryl in particular. He's been in constant contact and also managed to source me some petrol resistant sealant I was struggling to get in the UK and it came through recently.

This is a man/company who stands by it's products and clients when things go a bit astray. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the guards or doing with the business with them - they get customer service!

cheers

Markie
Old 03-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #120
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markie_wales View Post
Just got to say a big "bloody well done" & thank you to all those at Cyclops Motorsports and Daryl in particular. He's been in constant contact and also managed to source me some petrol resistant sealant I was struggling to get in the UK and it came through recently.

This is a man/company who stands by it's products and clients when things go a bit astray. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the guards or doing with the business with them - they get customer service!

cheers

Markie
Thanks for the kind words, Sir
1-800-624-0278