User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
Superfish OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
iPad 2 on my bike

I'm considering mounting my iPad on my 83 V65. I'll probably use a RAM mount. I would like to hear comments from any one that has actually done this, my searches didn't show much. Is the screen readable? My Garmin fades out in bright sun but if I change the viewing angle it helps. Also, if you have tried the RAM iPad holder is it secure enough?

I have one of their cheap holders on order. I can play with this an my RAM mount for the Garmin to see if there is room without hitting the tank of covering the gauges.

1983 V65 Magna
1984 700cc Magna
1982 V45 Sabre (Project)
Superfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,500
Check out the Bags Connection tankbags, there is a waterproof iPad case that works with them. The total cost will be kind of high - you've got to buy the tank ring, the bag and the case, but it *is* waterproof, and that is a very nice feature.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
fierostetz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Any word on how they handle the heat while wrapped in a waterproof bag? My iPhone overheats if I use GPS while it's in a waterproof bag. Curious if the ipad dissipates better.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,237
I would think it would be nearly impossible to read in the daytime.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,500
Heat is a good point. My iPad shuts down when its used indoors in direct sunlight, add a sealed environment and you've got a perfect environment for overheating the device.

I get wanting to use a large screen navigation system, I do not, OTOH, think an iPad is the best option out there.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer: 505
Check out Seal Shield, at www.sealshield.com, will make your iPad completely water/dust proof. Only about $25 too. The issue that you are going to run into is overheating when hot out and in direct sunlight. I would also look into rokform cases, at www.rokform.com. They make a mount to a bicycle dont see why it wouldnt work on a motorcycle. iPad mini might be a better solution, but not much aftermarket support yet.

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
unlawfulsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,457
I have no advice but can't help but to wonder why you want to mount it?

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:21 AM   #8
Superfish OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
I have no advice but can't help but to wonder why you want to mount it?
Well, part of the answer is that it's winter here in Vermont and it will be 5 or 6 months before I can get my bike down the 2 miles of dirt road that separate me from the world. Also, I have been using a Garmin 2610 that is getting tired and the maps can't be updated.

I'm liking the mapping apps that are available for the iPad and iPhone. I don't have an iPhone yet (cell service in VT is thin and zero at my house) and using it for GPS may give me enough reason to get one.

So, I'm experimenting -- at least it will keep me off the streets for a while.

1983 V65 Magna
1984 700cc Magna
1982 V45 Sabre (Project)
Old 12-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #9
PhaedruZ
n00b

Oddometer: 4
iPad Woks Just Fine as a GPS

The iPad works fine with the Ram Mounts. I also installed a power source from 3BRPOWERSPORTcom. Just make sure you get the 2.1amp unit as the iPad wont charge with the lower amp version. On its battery alone itd last about ~5hours, so its good for short day rides. Needless to say you need the 3G version which comes with GPS. I use the SYGIC software available at apple store.

My experience has been good, albeit the screen is a bit too big blocking other instruments, and the unit (ipad 1) is heavy, but the RAM mounts holds it well. I ride a 1200GS. It terms of "waterproofing" I just use a ZIPLOCK bag and it works. The buffeting behind the screen creates a downward draft that keeps the bag in place. Also, I never had a problem with overheating, I live in Atlanta, and the brightness is set at maximum. Id used for a year. Never had a problem.

As a side note with the 3BR power source, It tends to discharge the battery when not in use as it has a transformer to turn 12v into 5.1v for the USB power source. It is normal, but be aware, that the battery may be low after 2 weeks without use. It does have a fuse that you can remove if the discharge bothers you.

As and intermediate step, I use a lot my iPod touch with the Bad Elf GPS chip. I like it better than the ipad simply because it was easier to carry it around. Now the issue I had with this set up was that the extra chip was not designed to withstand the vibration of our horses, so it ended up in the trash can after the innards vibrate out of the plastic case and die. Plus, the chip dislodge constantly from the iPod. It even comes with a lanyard...
So, I go next to my "final solution".

I believe the perfect balance is available with the new mini ipad. Its size is just perfect for me, it doubles as a personal computer to take care of things while on a long trip and it weights less than half of the ipad. Ram mounts is coming with a dedicated cradle for it. So it is all good. Wed see how it goes.

Hope this helps.
PhaedruZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #10
Superfish OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks PhaedruZ. I agree that the iPad mini would be really good, now if I could only get my bank statement to agree.

What app are you using? Any thoughts on setting up routs ahead of time?? Letting the program pick the route is Ok unless there are particular roads you want to cover.

1983 V65 Magna
1984 700cc Magna
1982 V45 Sabre (Project)
Old 12-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #11
PhaedruZ
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfish View Post
Thanks PhaedruZ. I agree that the iPad mini would be really good, now if I could only get my bank statement to agree.

What app are you using? Any thoughts on setting up routs ahead of time?? Letting the program pick the route is Ok unless there are particular roads you want to cover.
The SYGIC App works very well with the iPad. You can load routes ahead of time and keep them in memory. Also you may adjust the routes to specific roads via the waypoint feature directly on the map, and save that as well. You can also save preferred destinations. The App cost ~30$, I think. My suggestion is to explore different options before you buy one. There are many options for the iPad. I started with a free one - Navfree GPS Live USA - but it was always outdated so I stopped using it.

By the way, a cheaper option is the Nexus 7 tablet, starting at 200$ and I believe even the wi-fi only version has GPS. I decided to go the ipad route because my other computers are Apple and I did not want the hassle of learning yet another system.
PhaedruZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #12
Superfish OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the input. SYGIC is clearly a contender. I'm looking a anything I can find to see if any will import gpx files.
For now I am "stuck" with my iPad2. I'll use that as a test bed and then see if I can come up with something smaller by riding season.

1983 V65 Magna
1984 700cc Magna
1982 V45 Sabre (Project)