generalbikes.eu

fotoduda.com screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 06:04 AM
fotoduda.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:49 AM   #48
lord_oblivion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Shocks, shocks.
Im asking becose I have same problem on my Honda, short working stroke on rear. I want to make some sort of scrambler out of her and cant think of some rear shocks with corresponding stroke (longer than hers original 112mm).
I need an idea.

www.jawaklubsrbije.org
lord_oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #49
fotoduda.com OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
I only saw original FT500 shocks. I don't know if longer shocks are going to work, the chain already sits close to the slider on the swing arm. Maybe some rollers would take care of it, but the idea was to simplify and add lightness, not to complicate and add junk ;)
fotoduda.com
generalbikes.eu
Old 12-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #50
gravityisnotmyfriend
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoduda.com View Post
New control panel. From the top left: Hi/Lo beam switch, master lights switch, key hole and ignition switch.

That's my new key. I picked up the idea from Corpses From Hell MB blog I think.

It doesn't open the tank tho.

I'm still waiting for the handlebars switches to arrive, so in the mean time I have no horn and have to hot wire it to start it up. Tomorrow I'll replace the clutch cable and hit the dirt.
Brilliant! I did something very similar when I needed to have a tether to compete in vintage snowmobile drags:

Unplugging it actually completes the circuit - which essentially turns on the kill switch. So, with the tether out, the kill switch works like stock. If you put the tether in and flip the kill switch off of run, the sled will die as soon as the tether is pulled.

If I hooked the wire to the other terminal, plugging it in would turn the circuit on. Never thought to use it as an ignition key. Pretty cool idea.
gravityisnotmyfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #51
lord_oblivion
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I only saw original FT500 shocks. I don't know if longer shocks are going to work, the chain already sits close to the slider on the swing arm. Maybe some rollers would take care of it, but the idea was to simplify and add lightness, not to complicate and add junk ;)
I busted mine shocks, on gravel rides. No oil left.

www.jawaklubsrbije.org
Old 01-18-2013, 01:37 AM   #52
fotoduda.com OP
Adventurer

I ordered these yesterday, paid 68 quid with shipping:

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/F...A/part_176883/

I'll let you know when they arrive and I dig the bike from under the snow...
fotoduda.com
generalbikes.eu
Old 01-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #53
fotoduda.com OP
Adventurer

little progress

Shocks arrived last week, but the bike is still under a feet of snow and it's -7*C outside.

But I managed to get the seat off and took it apart:

I ordered new cover material, it's due to arrive on Monday. I'm going to make new upholstery (don't ask me how, I worry about that later;) I'll be reshaping the foam as well since the seat is to low for my liking.

First the seat pan needs some adjustments. Since all plastic body panels didn't last too long (I took them off once I saw them and newer put them back) the seat doesn't quite match the frame. I mean it looks fine, but it's not what I want. There are 2-4cm gaps on the sides and the rear end goes up and leaves a gaping hole above the fender.

First goal was to flatten the rear. I pulled out a hacksaw and heat gun, and went to work:

So far so good!
fotoduda.com
generalbikes.eu
Old 01-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #54
lord_oblivion
Gnarly Adventurer

www.jawaklubsrbije.org
Old 02-03-2013, 04:37 AM   #55
BlueDaksi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_oblivion View Post
X2! I'm really interested in finding out more about those shocks. Mine are shot on my FT500.

I traded a kayak for a non-running (sat for six years) FT500 last weekend and have been wrenching on it everyday since. I got it running in short order, fixed a the broken clutch cable and lever, did the recommended cleaning on the starter solenoid (needed it badly), replaced the fork fluid (made a huge improvement), adjusted the valves, and now I runs like a champ. Remaining " problems include a class 1 oil leak around a cylinder block bolt, and the afforemention shocks.

This bike thread is a tempting inspiration for how I want to proceed with my build. My motor doesn't smoke and starts easily even in sub-20 degree weather (Fahrenheit), so the engine appears to be in great shape with 14k miles on it. It has some cosmetic flaws (dings in tank and cracked side cover) but would otherwise be a candidate for restoration...

That said, I plan to put some dual sport or knobby tires on it and ride the piss out of it. The FT500 is well-built and dependable (if you maintain the starter) and extremely easy to work on and modify. I really like the spirit of what the OP doing with his bike, and given that I already have zero $$$ invested in the acquisition of my bike, I think it might be a great amount of fun to build along the same direction as the OP put it, a rambler/scrambler/tracker kinda thing...

-1982 Honda FT500 Ascot

BlueDaksi screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 05:50 AM
BlueDaksi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #56
fotoduda.com OP
Adventurer

Here's some more.

I'm using original seat pan as a base, although this is not one of those modifications that you can just reverse and get back to the factory spec. First I cut the sides off so now the edge follows the frame horizontally. Also cut the foam and prepared it to rise the front side. After that's done my arse will be riding at the same height as the pillion's. To fill the vertical gap between the seat pan and the frame I'll use fiber glass. But before it's done I think I'll need to buy a welder and rework the rear end of the frame, make a loop etc.

fotoduda.com
generalbikes.eu

fotoduda.com screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 01:38 PM
Old 02-10-2013, 05:56 AM   #57
ilcylic
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross1969 View Post
It will be interesting to see what you come up with to replace the oversize plate on the front. The offset front light makes the bike look wrong.
Hahahahahah, funny, I was just thinking I might incorporate an offset light on the bike I'm working on now.

------

This bike is awesome. I'm going to use that 1/4" audio jack key. One of my bikes just has a "hidden" toggle switch for power right now, not very secure.

ilcylic screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 05:34 AM
ilcylic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #58
drmrhonda580
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
I always had a problem with documenting my garage adventures. When I make pictures, I take it seriously, meaning I have to concentrate a lot. And when I'm in the middle of a havoc, running around with hammers like a tasmanian devil, it's even harder to concentrate. But today I took the challenge. Here's what happened:

First, if you're wondering what's that rubber string doing around my clutch leaver...

This is how I roll man:

Here I keep all the important electrics.

So proud of itself.

I didn't check the manual, but I hope it's suppose to look like that.

Simplicity is the key.

New light bracket, horn will probably go underneath it.

The new classic look.

I got the cheapest stand alone rollgas I could lay my hands on. I thought it's so simple nobody can fuck this up.

What a surprise, the cable was way to short to attach it to the carb. Had to do it the Mongolian way.

Deciphering the spaghetti.

Slowly getting a hang of it all.

Every time I looked at all the cables and wiring diagrams in all my bikes I was wandering if it really has to be so complicated. This time I had an opportunity to check it. The plan was to get rid of the blinkers, move the ignition and light switches to the back, leaving only horn, starter and brake light switch on the handlebars. After a couple of hours of reading the diagram, cutting, soldering, more reading, cutting, blowing the main fuse, making a new wire fuse, more soldering and reading and cutting I finally made it! I got rid of all the connectors and unnecessary cables from the front and moved the switches and fuse box under the seat.

New control panel. From the top left: Hi/Lo beam switch, master lights switch, key hole and ignition switch.

That's my new key. I picked up the idea from Corpses From Hell MB blog I think.

It doesn't open the tank tho.

I'm still waiting for the handlebars switches to arrive, so in the mean time I have no horn and have to hot wire it to start it up. Tomorrow I'll replace the clutch cable and hit the dirt.
Nice to see an FT still working. Your headsteady brackets are from a Honda CB250RS (I run two of them, both dualsport converted). Keep up the good work.
drmrhonda580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:11 AM   #59
fotoduda.com OP
Adventurer

that was last week:

you can see the global warming in full swing :P

I the meantime I ordered the cheapest MIG welder the money could buy, it was like 180 EUR. Should arrive next week. I also got in touch with RedHotChiliCustoms from Szczecin. They'll help me with fabrication of the rear frame loop. When I got it I will be able to finish the seat, which means I can ride the bike again! :)

I still need to change both wheel bearings, cause the wheel has like 5mm play when I shake it with my hands. Can be really sketchy when you ride it, believe me. If there's enough cash in the jar I'll by a TKC80 for the front and maybe even powder coat the rims. The spray can stuff doesn't stick to alloy rims, who would have thought :P
fotoduda.com
generalbikes.eu
Old 04-14-2013, 03:16 AM   #60
fotoduda.com OP
Adventurer

Poznan Motor Show

BTW here's a nice FT500 from RedHotChiliCustoms:

More pics from Poznan Motor Show on my site.
fotoduda.com
generalbikes.eu