Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 06:34 AM   #16441
ChuBrocka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvscum View Post
Maybe the tank is not venting through the cap. Try unscrewing the gas cap. If that solves your problem, the cap is not venting properly.
I may be wrong, but I don't don't think there is any venting through the cap. As I understand it the venting is through a line out the bottom of the tank that ends between and slightly behind the foot pegs. This also serves to direct over-fill. While I agree that vapour lock sounds like a possibility, the cap shouldn't be the source of the problem.

Was it raining when you had the problems? I had a similar sounding issue on a trip through New England last summer. We were riding in pouring rain for most of the week. On the first day of rain I though I had run out of gas when the engine cut but after a few days of repeated issues (always in rain) we clued in to the vapour lock issue. I believe ince the rain got heavy enough there was enough water getting up into the breather line between the pegs to block the air flow long enough to starve the carbs. To test the theory I would twist the gas cap open a little when I felt the tell-tale sputter. It worked every time.

I've read in the RAT forums that cutting the end of the breather line on a sharp angle will solve this problem, but I haven't felt like getting soaked to test the the theory yet.
ChuBrocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #16442
ChuBrocka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcc View Post
To make a long story longer
The incident that caused the trailering home was with a very full tank of gas. It was just prior to this stall out that I ran out of gas, including reserve. This was the first time in thirty something years that I forgot to switch backover to the main tube and when I felt the bike starving for fuel I reached down to put it on reserve. Much to my surprize, It was already on reserve. The reason that I am curious about the tank size is because if the bike was already acting strange while still having some remaining fuel in it, I may need to focus my diagnosis toward electrical.
I have been driving my truck to work now for two weeks. One to make sure that I make it and two because Ca. is getting wet. When I have a chance to ride it long enough without worrying wheter it will get me to a destination on time I will get to see if it actually has a problem or if it was an anomoly caused by, say, harmonic convergence.
It is neat to harken back to a time when a bike was just a bike, no bells no whistles. I am loving this bike in a way that i believed I would but I thought coming off three previous DL1000's I was going to be let down. I am here to say I was wrong.
Please speak up if you have had cap failure.
How did a very full tank of gas cause that? Not doubting, just relatively new to this and want to understand.
ChuBrocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #16443
fumbling
n00b

Oddometer: 6
scrambler too tall

I sat on a Scrambler but it was too tall, but the base Bonneville with the mag wheels fit me perfectly, but I like the exhaust look of the Scrambler...does the Arrow exhaust for the Scrambler fit on the base Bonneville, has anyone done this and how did it turn out?
fumbling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #16444
MikeD.
mmm, Chicken Strips

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
I sat on a Scrambler but it was too tall, but the base Bonneville with the mag wheels fit me perfectly, but I like the exhaust look of the Scrambler...does the Arrow exhaust for the Scrambler fit on the base Bonneville, has anyone done this and how did it turn out?
I have never actually done it but I can say that the Scrambler has a different right-side cover to clear the exhaust which is about $150 and you will have to additionally weld a mounting point under the right side of the seat to bolt it to. I don't know if there are any other modifications required or not. If you don't specifically want the mags you could probably put the shorter Bonneville shocks on the Scrambler much easier.
MikeD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #16445
Graniteone
3,2,1...Beer me!

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graniteone View Post
I am buying this bike on Sunday. It is a 2007 with 40,000 miles. Said to be in excellent to very good condition. As side from normal stuff anything unusual I should pay attention to prior to closing the deal? Hope it is as good as it looks.

My stable is getting kind of full.

Picked this up on Sunday. Haven't had any real time to play with it. Bike is in excellent condition. Look forward to getting to know it better.
Graniteone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #16446
mindfulness
more ride less worry

Oddometer: 759
tank badges arrived, looked in the tank with a mirror and could see the studs from the inside so off the stock stick on badges came!

Ka-nobbies, installed!

2008 Triumph Scrambler carbs, tkc80's, made in England!
mindfulness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #16447
soundcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuBrocka View Post
I may be wrong, but I don't don't think there is any venting through the cap. As I understand it the venting is through a line out the bottom of the tank that ends between and slightly behind the foot pegs. This also serves to direct over-fill. While I agree that vapour lock sounds like a possibility, the cap shouldn't be the source of the problem.

Was it raining when you had the problems? I had a similar sounding issue on a trip through New England last summer. We were riding in pouring rain for most of the week. On the first day of rain I though I had run out of gas when the engine cut but after a few days of repeated issues (always in rain) we clued in to the vapour lock issue. I believe ince the rain got heavy enough there was enough water getting up into the breather line between the pegs to block the air flow long enough to starve the carbs. To test the theory I would twist the gas cap open a little when I felt the tell-tale sputter. It worked every time.

I've read in the RAT forums that cutting the end of the breather line on a sharp angle will solve this problem, but I haven't felt like getting soaked to test the the theory yet.
It was not wet out. I filled the tank and rode two blocks home, lifted it unto the centerstand and the very full tank forced fuel out of the cap and into and out of the overflow-venting tube. By all accounts this leftover fuel in the tube could have help or been full cause of a nonventing tank. Your suggestion jogged my memory of the circumstances that lead to my demise and am now ever surer that I was under vapor lockdown.
If the line is not straight down and out, it may create a sort of P-trap arrangement and therefore create its own failure.
I long ago removed all extra hoses that felt superfluous and will recheck the drain-vent line out.
Thank you, this has been much help.
soundcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #16448
OCTMIKE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Scrambler has a exhaust hanger under passenger seat on right side also.
OCTMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #16449
CDONA
Home of Vortex tuning

Oddometer: 67
^^ Is your evap canister full of gas? I've heard about the evap can filling with gas and choking off the slight air bleed that travels thru this system to vent fuel vapors back into the intake flow. The lack of this bleed air will effect idle & throttle response.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #16450
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,267
I've been thinking that the Scrambler would be a great bike for me. I've been poking around in this thread and most everyone posts pics of the right side of their bikes. Someone "accidentally" posted a left hand shot and I almost swallowed my tongue. I had never noticed the rear brake caliper sticking down for any passing rock to demolish. What was Triumph thinking?? Is there a guard available or a way to relocate it? Here in New England we have rocks everywhere. I was thinking about riding the Scram on Jeep roads that have basketball sized rocks all over the place. How do you deal with this issue? (or is it a non issue?)
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #16451
twolf
Dork

Oddometer: 33
Knobbie

Nice shot of the rear knob! Did you go with a 140 Conti TK80?

Quote:
Originally Posted by milestones View Post
tank badges arrived, looked in the tank with a mirror and could see the studs from the inside so off the stock stick on badges came!

Ka-nobbies, installed!

twolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #16452
tvscum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I've been thinking that the Scrambler would be a great bike for me. I've been poking around in this thread and most everyone posts pics of the right side of their bikes. Someone "accidentally" posted a left hand shot and I almost swallowed my tongue. I had never noticed the rear brake caliper sticking down for any passing rock to demolish. What was Triumph thinking?? Is there a guard available or a way to relocate it? Here in New England we have rocks everywhere. I was thinking about riding the Scram on Jeep roads that have basketball sized rocks all over the place. How do you deal with this issue? (or is it a non issue?)
The solution is to purchase the UpNOver caliper bracket from Triumph Twin Power:
http://www.triumphtwinpower.com/upno...er-bracket.php

'86 Yamaha XT350
tvscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #16453
soundcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDONA View Post
^^ Is your evap canister full of gas? I've heard about the evap can filling with gas and choking off the slight air bleed that travels thru this system to vent fuel vapors back into the intake flow. The lack of this bleed air will effect idle & throttle response.
All that stuff is in the city dump along with the AI as I felt it was only artificially intellegent to supercharge my exhaust gases and my bong never needed that much air injection, why should my other high.
soundcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #16454
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,572
Triumph Scrambler info ?

Hi well since it return in 2009 (or that's when I saw it) the Scrambler has been in my short list of bikes I would like to have even if they are european (because of the price of maintenance...I think). All is good except 2 things, I believe it has tube tyoe tires, a chain and most important it is the exhaust!

So my question is, how hot is the exhaust? can you feel it? how about putting luggage? And over all does that have one, what do you like or not like about the bike?

I want it for just going around town or across the state and crossing into the USA on day trips, nothing like Alaska or Tierra del Fuego.

Thanks

Damasovi
Old 12-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #16455
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,412
Have you seen this?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141616

Have at it
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote