Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #301
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by old-n-slow View Post
They already have it! Update it for the noobies or just re-release it for the old timers!

Comfy seat and ergos, streetable power, a REAL d-sport vs a deturned desert rocket or mile high MXer,.....I'd buy it!

Wow, good idea. Just upgrade the the lousy brakes a bit, update the lousy suspension and add electric start.

Then you would have ....... an XR650L.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #302
ADVNCW
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Wow, good idea. Just upgrade the the lousy brakes a bit, update the lousy suspension and add electric start.

Then you would have ....... an XR650L.
So a (Honda) heavy KTM adventure 390 is all good then? But any kind of Honda is not ok unless it is a KTM then? Got it.

Perhaps they could paint a CRF450X orange add some lights increase the price to $12k, and sell a lot to a certain demographic?
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #303
OrangeYZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post
So a (Honda) heavy KTM adventure 390 is all good then? But any kind of Honda is not ok unless it is a KTM then? Got it.

Perhaps they could paint a CRF450X orange add some lights increase the price to $12k, and sell a lot to a certain demographic?
Perhaps they could put a plate on a CRF450X and sell a lot to a certain demographic (everyone in this thread)?

But they won't, because they're Honda. They can make heavy motorcycles with shit brakes and suspension, and as long as they keep them red they sell.

I'd buy a red CRF450X with a plate or a blue WR450F with a plate, but those don't exist, and orange 450EXCs with plates do exist.
OrangeYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #304
ADVNCW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeYZ View Post
Perhaps they could put a plate on a CRF450X and sell a lot to a certain demographic (everyone in this thread)?

But they won't, because they're Honda. They can make heavy motorcycles with shit brakes and suspension, and as long as they keep them red they sell.

I'd buy a red CRF450X with a plate or a blue WR450F with a plate, but those don't exist, and orange 450EXCs with plates do exist.
Plated red CRF450X are for sale locally here for about $8k. I would buy that before an orange bike, but it is not really a dualsport motorcycle, still a race bike with lights. Like the orange ones...would be a pia to go down the highway on for 100 miles.

Yamaha did it with the WR250R @ $6690. It can be done. I just bought one.

It seems KTM is thinking or trying to produce a dualsport according to the above post about the 390. That is great, perhaps they could start something of a trend for the manufacturers to follow? That would be good.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #305
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,775
Quote:

Not that I ever said that or even have a clue what you are talking about, but it just so happens I know something about XL600R's:

Old 12-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #306
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,281
Quote:
Could you please quote the post he made saying that? Thanks.

Also, could you quote the parts about the XL600R vs. XR650L that he was wrong about, that would be super too.

Thanks a bunch, and feel free to use that nifty quote button
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #307
ADVNCW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
Could you please quote the post he made saying that? Thanks.

Also, could you quote the parts about the XL600R vs. XR650L that he was wrong about, that would be super too.

Thanks a bunch, and feel free to use that nifty quote button
Discussion, debate and rhetoric. Folks who finish 6th Grade get it, but some slobbering moron grease monkeys have trouble keeping up.

I think intelligent readers here understand the certain type of enthusiasm that some alleged KTM riders (and one big fat ass who does not own one or ride dirt) have. So that comment is constructed to serve specific rhetorical purpose.

There are smart folks here who get it. Too bad for so much distraction by slower folks who usually spout the coarser expletives as a rule...
Old 12-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #308
Ned1
Lend Me Yu Choppa

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
...folks who usually spout the coarser expletives as a rule...
Oh the irony in that statement...

I'd imagine a plated 450x in the right hands and set up right would be a fine option for a performant DS bike. A friend rides a well-set-up 250x as a dual sport rig and it is a great bike. Of course some people's idea of dual sport is different than others.
Ned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #309
ADVNCW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned1 View Post
Oh the irony in that statement...

I'd imagine a plated 450x in the right hands and set up right would be a fine option for a performant DS bike. A friend rides a well-set-up 250x as a dual sport rig and it is a great bike. Of course some people's idea of dual sport is different than others.
The discussion was about dual sport as in long highway miles. I have spent time in a lot of discussion with someone with the highest level experience who now dualsports the 450X. He is for it, thinks it would work for some applications= mostly local, but it is a qualified endorsement. Not really the best choice for long highway days.

It really has nothing to do with the 'right hands', Ned1 you seem desperate to follow my posts and give them your little girl-slap at every opportunity.

It seems that the the WR250R is about the closest to the dual sport model that can travel well, compromise but workable performance, good value.

It is tiring to hear chest-beating like "in the right hands" bla bla bla or "if you want to spend the money" bla bla. So much of this stuff on the forum is from guys who may not ride or have real experience, but use the insinuation to place themselves in a superior position- at least a legend in their own mind. And then there are the guys who spend $10k and then have the long posts about the problems with their ride- a situation that many sensible folks will avoid by making a sober and logical decision.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #310
Ned1
Lend Me Yu Choppa

You're a classic whether you know it or not.

And thanks for more coarse expletives and taunting via PM, it further reinforces the irony. I won't stoop to your level, sorry.

I personally wouldn't drone a 450x down the highway, that's not what I'd phrase as the dual sport riding I like to do. But, I wouldn't hesitate parking it out in your town, riding a couple hundred miles of what the region has to offer, loading up and heading home. If a 450L were to be made I'd consider that but my dual sport motives are more in tune with the former.

In the right hands buddy, in the right hands.......
Old 12-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #311
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,281
Quote:
Discussion, debate and rhetoric. Folks who finish 6th Grade get it, but some slobbering moron grease monkeys have trouble keeping up.

I think intelligent readers here understand the certain type of enthusiasm that some alleged KTM riders (and one big fat ass who does not own one or ride dirt) have. So that comment is constructed to serve specific rhetorical purpose.

There are smart folks here who get it. Too bad for so much distraction by slower folks who usually spout the coarser expletives as a rule...
Golly gee wizz...you gave me exactly the reply I expected from you when faced with being called on your comments.

Thanks a bunch
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #312
ADVNCW
Banned

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
Golly gee wizz...you gave me exactly the reply I expected from you when faced with being called on your comments.

Thanks a bunch
OK your break is over, get back in there and sand that fender and sniff some more paint. Certainly the stuff that builds genius.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #313
ADVNCW
Banned

In the context of much of this discussion:

Perhaps they could paint a CRF450X orange add some lights increase the price to $12k, and sell a lot to a certain demographic? I can buy a red plated CRF450X locally for around $8k. As well, I am certain that they know how to make that Honda run right, have the correct parts, know exactly the + and minus for that bike. That results from a pool of engineering compared to a drop, and wherewithal to actually test stuff well and correct deficiencies before selling it at an inflated price to emotive suckers who want to think they are bad

Interesting how it sounds like some would just accept problems because it is a KTM, but disapprove any Honda because it is not a KTM?

And I am still trying to understand that some seem to say that paying a lot more makes it better? Wow, suckers, it does not. I do not see that the return for the investment is there at all!
Old 12-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #314
Ned1
Lend Me Yu Choppa

It's not yours to summarize, twist and contort. It is what it is... a long wait for a competitive product.

BTW, good riddance, hopefully it's permanent,

Ned1 screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 03:06 PM
Old 12-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #315
OrangeYZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Interesting how it sounds like some would just accept problems because it is a KTM, but disapprove any Honda because it is not a KTM?
KTM makes a street legal dirt worthy motorcycle which when compared to Honda SLDWMCs is lighter, has better brakes, better suspension, ergonomics which makes it easier to control in the dirt, and most components (pegs, sprockets, controls, frame, engine cases and cylinder) are made of higher quality materials. The air filter is easy to access.
Also it's lighter. Most of its parts are designed to do the same thing but with less material, and less dense materials. It doesn't weigh as much. Less mass. Not as heavy. The force of attraction between the world and it is less. It handles better and is easier to pick up because its pounds per tire ratio is lower than most red or blue motorcycles.
Honda has a recent history of making dual sports that are heavier than they should be for a given displacement.

Quote:
And I am still trying to understand that some seem to say that paying a lot more makes it better? Wow, suckers, it does not. I do not see that the return for the investment is there at all!

No you're not.

I do. It's fucking lighter.

Edit: Dang, didn't realize he was done arguing

OrangeYZ screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 03:21 PM
OrangeYZ is offline   Reply With Quote