Old 12-04-2012, 05:03 AM   #46
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 6,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBW Motorrad View Post
Dear All

Welcome.

As long as the people writing the cheque are happy with it , it doesn't matter what we plebs think.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #47
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,570
Mr Crowder and all the folks at SBW Motorrad--

Glad to learn that your new design will be used for serious globetrotting. Please do see if the new owners will make some action videos on rough terrain that you can post up at a later date so we can all see how it handles.

I think it's great that you joined our forum just to post up more info about your fabulous creation. Welcome to the asylum and I hope you'll stick around and add to the general wisdom. The sidecar section here ("Hacks") is just a tiny corner of the Adventure Rider world. If you navigate around you'll discover tons of BMW-related info including airheads, oilheads, K bikes and F's. Much like UKGSER but with 200,000 members and alot more rubbish to sort.

There are plenty of other BMW dealers on here, but most post up using anonymity because thrashing from the merks can be tiresome.

Once again, welcome!
Old 12-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #48
Horton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
I thing there is a lot of wasted space for the luggage, with this small aluminium box behind the sidecar. The second point is an old problem for all the sidecars. The passenger seat is to deep.The passenger will only see one side of the road. The seat looks saftey and comfortable. You couldn't lose your monkey. . .

With the first bump, you are not able to miss, you know, the best way to survive as apassenger a rough rod conditions, he is able to stand up.

But I think this points are not possible to come together.

Anyway, I like the design. And the way you do the job. As far, as I see in the video. Then I look at my hack and start noiseless to snivel. . .

dä rumtreibär
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #49
Dickie OP
Seasoned Sidecarist

Oddometer: 46
SBW Motorrad, Stephen,
well done for coming on and explaining your creation. Like most things sidecar, development costs make the project and any sales high end, due to low retail numbers. I like your chair but its way out of my league but maybe one day you never know. Keep up with the good work. Any new sidecar manufacturer on the market is a welcome sight in my eyes. Best of luck. I look forward to some reports on its performance from the new owners, if its possible.
Dickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #50
Sidecarjohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
Stephen,

Thanks for a comprehensive explanation about the SBW. It's all in the detail, and boy is there some detail. Like others it will be good to hear how things work out, plus an appraisal of what did, and didn't work.

http://www.sidecarjohn.co.uk/
Sidecarjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #51
boxertwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
I would hope that it does not end up in the hands of some poseur.

He's talking about me.

boxertwin screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 03:04 PM
boxertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:20 AM   #52
Hairyjohn
Hairyjohn

Oddometer: 11
On Order

First post
Just ordered a SBW after meeting the designer at the show, Mine though is being altered to match a Guzzi Stelvio , so less lights and GS stuff.
I sidecare'd for about 17 years all over the UK and a bit of Europe with my last 3 wheeled trip to Spain for Moto Piston in 2003.
Good to see little has changed among sidecar folks including distain for anything that cost more than used bucket, For the record I am far to old / fat and ugly to pose, intend to tour on the outfit for some good rides where my not to well wife who can sleep on the pillion will still be attached to the bike at the end.
Hope its comes good as I have sold 4 bikes to get the chair
HJ
Hairyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:47 AM   #53
Sidecarjohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
Hello,
Have you adapted the Guzzi in any way for sidecar use ?

As a postscript, you do realise that inmates will probably be waiting for reports on how your new outfit performs, good points and otherwise ?

http://www.sidecarjohn.co.uk/
Sidecarjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #54
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairyjohn View Post
First post
Just ordered a SBW after meeting the designer at the show, Mine though is being altered to match a Guzzi Stelvio , so less lights and GS stuff.
I sidecare'd for about 17 years all over the UK and a bit of Europe with my last 3 wheeled trip to Spain for Moto Piston in 2003.
Good to see little has changed among sidecar folks including distain for anything that cost more than used bucket, For the record I am far to old / fat and ugly to pose, intend to tour on the outfit for some good rides where my not to well wife who can sleep on the pillion will still be attached to the bike at the end.
Hope its comes good as I have sold 4 bikes to get the chair
HJ
Welcome Hairyjohn,
Please keep us posted on your latest toy. My sidecar rig also allows me to bring my wife along on longer rides as her bones just can't take 2 wheels for more than 30 minutes anymore.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #55
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Hairy--

Yes, please start a new thread with lots of pics once the build gets underway. I for one am very interested to see a hacked Stelvio--subframe and mounting points especially. There are a few others here with fat wallets but mostly just cheap bastards. Nice to see somebody not afraid to spend some real money for a change!

And welcome to the forum !!
Old 01-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #56
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,560
I think the response by Stephen Crowder was excellent. Thanks Stephen!

The last few lines were:
>>>Inevitably we could change aspects of the design. But the actual sidecar works very well and I am very pleased to report that its great fun to ride.

Thank you once again for your feed back. I guess it will not be to everyone's taste but it represents a great deal of work from guys who are all committed to the bike industry and also customers who are living the dream of seeing the world.

Kind regards

Stephen Crowder <<

Again excellent reply. I think, or hope, your words would reflect the stance from most of us that are in this business. All 'competitors' are still part of the whole. 'The Whole' being the sidecar community itself. Most of us Get this and work very well together. Nice outfit!!

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #57
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 7,004
Well said, Claude.
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #58
Hairyjohn
Hairyjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecarjohn View Post
Hello,
Have you adapted the Guzzi in any way for sidecar use ?

As a postscript, you do realise that inmates will probably be waiting for reports on how your new outfit performs, good points and otherwise ?
No mods yet as the chair is some months away. I am minded to look at making up some leading links or some kind of Hybrid front using the standard legs and a swing arm !? Also to fit a 17 inch front rim so that 1 tyre fits all, As my Stelvio is a 2010 model I think an auxiliary fuel tank needs to be looked at too.
There is also a fair bit of work to do with Stephen at SBW to de GS it
Its going to be good just wait and see
HJ
Old 01-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #59
Hairyjohn
Hairyjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Hairy--

Yes, please start a new thread with lots of pics once the build gets underway. I for one am very interested to see a hacked Stelvio--subframe and mounting points especially. There are a few others here with fat wallets but mostly just cheap bastards. Nice to see somebody not afraid to spend some real money for a change!

And welcome to the forum !!
Drone
Don't worry once we get going I will be a posting. There are a few to build before mine. be nice to hear from other customers.

Quick note on cost
Its weird that folks who change there new but unremarkable dull car for another one every two or three years with horrendous loss are not considered to be rich or stupid ( is it the same in the states ) but if one invests there hard earned into something hand built and individual that will last for years means they have money to burn
Funny old world eh

Hairyjohn screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 03:49 PM Reason: Add a coment
Old 01-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #60
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairyjohn View Post
Its weird that folks who change there new but unremarkable dull car for another one every two or three years with horrendous loss are not considered to be rich or stupid ( is it the same in the states ) but if one invests there hard earned into something hand built and individual that will last for years means they have money to burn
Funny old world eh
This might be the most wisdom I've heard in a while. Got to use that with the wife!

On the fuel situation, my local Guzzi dealer (Dave Richardson who wrote "Guzziology") told me that it would not take much to obtain a new Stelvio tank and retrofit it to the old Stelvio. Then if you added an aux tank as well you'd have great range.