Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 57 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #271
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,508
Ban the Brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab-Kid View Post
I finally got my latest toy out to the range today, a Savage 10 Precision Carbine in .308 w/ a Sightron Big Sky 6-24X42. Two 10-round magazines are on the way. I'm trying to convince myself that I really need to spend $190 on a muzzle break.....

Definitely does not need a brake but a can would be very nice. Their website doesn't list the thread spec for the muzzle, if you really have to put something on there while you save up for the can, perhaps an M-14 flash suppressor would do. A look through the Brownell's Catalog will find something.
I hope that it is just the photo, the reticle looks severely tilted in the picture. You can zero for a single range no matter how tilted it might be but clicking between ranges is much easier when the reticle is lined up vertically.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #272
Lab-Kid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
I hope that it is just the photo, the reticle looks severely tilted in the picture.

Bruce
Really? I had a hard time trying to line up the camera and hold the right relief with it set at 16.5X and hit the stock. Oh well.

While a can would be really nice, I don't think I'm willing to jump through all the hoops necessary for that.
Lab-Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #273
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

The rifle didn't look tilted to me, the cross hairs obviously did but since they need to match the rifle rather than the horizon it was hard to tell. I help out at 'Sighting-In Days' at our club, believe me there are some 'interesting' rifle/scope combinations that show up, quite a few having been 'professionally assembled'. If someone is only going to shoot a couple hundred yards they can get by with 'OK' alignment. That Savage has the potential to reach out. It is a great feeling to take a 200yd zero, dial in the correction and be on target at 600 or 1,000 yds but it usually requires a pretty well aligned scope.

Not that many hoops to jump through for a can. No doubt it is quicker if you don't follow my example and forget to include the separate form (the one where you certify that the information you supplied about your own citizenship is true) in your 'package'. At least they were pretty quick after that was submitted, I didn't have to go back to the end of the line.

What is the twist rate on that Savage? They are the only one of the 'big companies' to consider fast twists from what I have seen. I got my 110 FP in .223 from them because everyone else was at least 1:12. They made it in a 1:9 which at least let me get into the 70 grain bullets.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Old 12-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #274
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,378
Quote:
I finally got my latest toy out to the range today, a Savage 10 Precision Carbine in .308 w/ a Sightron Big Sky 6-24X42. Two 10-round magazines are on the way. I'm trying to convince myself that I really need to spend $190 on a muzzle break.....

[URL="http://defimills.smugmug.com/Other/Uploads/13140144_NZ5259#!i=2251997510&k=Rbw3h2p&lb=1&s=A"]]
Nice-

Prefect functional weapon

I'd go for the suppressor
Old 12-04-2012, 05:02 AM   #275
Lab-Kid
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

What is the twist rate on that Savage?

Bruce
It has a 1:10 twist rate, which should work fine for the bullet weights I'll be shooting.

I mounted, and re-mounted that scope three times before I went to the range because the alignment wasn't perfect.
My wife thought I had lost my mind!
Old 12-04-2012, 05:45 AM   #276
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb 1:10

Quote:
It has a 1:10 twist rate, which should work fine for the bullet weights I'll be shooting.

I mounted, and re-mounted that scope three times before I went to the range because the alignment wasn't perfect.
My wife thought I had lost my mind!

Nice!
I am stuck with 1:12 on the M1A and Remington. Haven't pushed the 700 past 600 but when I shot the M1A at 1000 the 180 Matchkings started tumbling (OK at 900 apparently). Someone cut a piece out of my target to show me the 'sideways' bullet holes. That 1:10 should let you shoot up to 200 MKs or some of those sexy, long, low-drag180s.

Wives always think that we've lost our minds when we fuss over things that they see no difference in. Mine, fortunately decided long ago that there were much worse things for me to spend $$$ on.

That rifle is going to be a lot of fun!

Bruce
Old 12-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #277
Lab-Kid
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Nice!

Wives always think that we've lost our minds when we fuss over things that they see no difference in.

Bruce

Mine is pretty understanding. She didn't even complain when I was using the dinning room table as a work bench.

And when she asked me why there was a ladder in the hallway, and I told her it was holding a plumb bob so I could align my scope, she just shook her head and walked away! (at least I put a towel down so I didn't drip Locktite on it)
Old 12-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #278
thouk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Here's my new build

I just got this girl almost finished. I still need to get a bolt carrier group for it. I would like to get a piston kit for it also. So here ya go....

May God look upon you as you ride with Jesus with the Holy Spirit in your heart.
thouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #279
CodyY OP
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by thouk View Post
I just got this girl almost finished. I still need to get a bolt carrier group for it. I would like to get a piston kit for it also. So here ya go....
No need for piston on a precision rifle.

But why the carry handle upper with that barrel? Wouldn't it be more conducive to a flat-top and scope?
Old 12-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #280
tommyg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,308
Last week I sold my colt ar15 sp1 and bought a smith and wesson mp15, put a couple of hundred rounds through it and I love it. There was nothing wrong with my old colt, but you couldnt really upgrade it and a 20inch barrel was a little long, much prefer the 16inch.
tommyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #281
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by thouk View Post

You don't want a piston system on that. Save the money and finished your flooring

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #282
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,941
[QUOTE=HardCase;19621356]Great idea for a new thread! I like tacticool guns, have a few, but my true love is more 'old school' stuff.....perhaps because I'm an old guy! //QUOTE]
National Postal Meter at your service.

And Remington-Rand, the typewriter people.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #283
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,642
Quote:
Nice!
I am stuck with 1:12 on the M1A and Remington. Haven't pushed the 700 past 600 but when I shot the M1A at 1000 the 180 Matchkings started tumbling (OK at 900 apparently). Someone cut a piece out of my target to show me the 'sideways' bullet holes. That 1:10 should let you shoot up to 200 MKs or some of those sexy, long, low-drag180s.

Wives always think that we've lost our minds when we fuss over things that they see no difference in. Mine, fortunately decided long ago that there were much worse things for me to spend $$$ on.

That rifle is going to be a lot of fun!

Bruce
The tumbling is not necessarily the fault of the 1:12 twist, though 1:10 is preferred for 180 grain bullets. It could be a result of the bullets going subsonic as they slow down. That is a phenomenon that is also seen at 600 yards with 168 grain and lighter bullets from the 7.62 cartridge. As the bullets go down through the speed of sound, they de-stabilize. That is why USGI NM bullets were 173 grains. They would hold supersonic speeds a bit past 600 yards.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #284
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,595
Holy crap prices are stupid. The exact same daniel defense I bought three months ago for $1180 can't be found for less than $1400, and that's if it's in stock at all! I wanted to build a matching rifle to mine for my son for christmas, but at these prices, I'd rather sell mine and buy us something else in a matching pair.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #285
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,483

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: