ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #3886
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Kitsap
Oddometer: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post
Very nice , length??
The overall length is 16.5 in and the blade is 10.5. I'm going to try to be very carful and not stab myself.
__________________
The highway's a storyteller...No time to write it down.
LoFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:39 AM   #3887
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina
 
Juanjo_NY's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: WashingtonVille, NY
Oddometer: 3,629
Gunter Wilhelm Knifes

I had this 10" chef knife for about 5 years.
Few weeks ago cutting frozen chicken it broke.
The name was faded away, and I didn't even remember the name, luckly few years back I gave one as a gift to my wife's father, the name on his was clear.. Gunter Wilhelm.
Went to there website, and as I though, there knife have lifetime warranty.. and no BS.
TWO emails later I had my BRAND NEW 10" knife in the mail. Best of all I didn't even have to send the broken one to them, just a picture.
AWESOME knifes, AWESOME costumer service.!
http://gunterwilhelm.com/



__________________
cheers, Juanjo
Juanjo_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:41 AM   #3888
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon
 
Smithy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: 22310
Oddometer: 7,389
It's a nice shape, but that's why I dislike 440C. It's just too prone to catastrophic failure like you document here. You could have hurt yourself badly with that snapped blade. All the "German Steel" and "Ice Hardened" is just sizzle, as there's really only one way to get the most out of crappy stainless... requiring precision temperature controls, and the rates at which you achieve those temperatures. Cryo-treatment does squeeze a little more out of it, but it's marginal, and if not properly tempered afterwards, and the grain controlled for in pre-hardening heat treatments, you get examples like this... a little stress runs a break across the whole profile.

The handle design on those are cool, though. I like the shape and they look comfortable to use. Glad they stood behind their name and replaced it.
__________________
Consultant, Geospatial Science at Viking Geographic LLC
Never Stop Exploring

Proprietor of The Tidewater Forge
Hot iron is my passion. Fire is my mistress. Let's dance.
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #3889
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina
 
Juanjo_NY's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: WashingtonVille, NY
Oddometer: 3,629
To be clear about how I broke this knife, I was using the knife to separate the leg from the breast of a frozen solid chicken.
I had it for 5 years +/-. It took a lot of crap during those years. And the way it broke was probably partially my fault.
A chef friend of mine told me they are on the heavy side to use it for work, but as a kitchen knife they are fantastic.
__________________
cheers, Juanjo
Juanjo_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #3890
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer
 
tslewisz's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Bloomington, IL
Oddometer: 2,311
Partially? I wouldn't do that with an axe!
tslewisz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:21 PM   #3891
bmwktmbill
Traveler
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Traveler
Oddometer: 4,575
Edc

EDC.
Two sons and myself...all autos.

Click the picture to see the video.

Protech Brend Auto 2 small.
Carried for 6 years, gave the first one to my son for his birthday.
It was 6+ years old an the spring broke. Protech replaced the spring and blade for $10.
Protech is a go to company that services the knives they sell.

Click it.


Here's my work knife.

Fallkniven U2 and a Photon rechargable LED flashlight. Enough good can't be said about either.



http://www.fallkniven.com/en/shop/de...s/lock-back/u2

http://www.photonlight.com/led-flash...ed-flashlight/

bill
__________________
'02 KTM 640 Adventure-lowered
"On the road there are no special cases."
Cormack McCarthy-The Crossing

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 12:03 AM
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:45 PM   #3892
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hardware02's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: The Rock
Oddometer: 2,816
Here are my four EDCs that I tend to cycle through.

Most days, the Gerber Paraframe Mini (3rd from top) gets the nod but the latest addition, the CRKT M16 will get carried for the next little while.


__________________
"These instructions are at our present level of
knowledge. Legal requirements do not exist.
Technical issues subject to change."
Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:48 PM   #3893
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hardware02's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: The Rock
Oddometer: 2,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
EDC.
Two sons and myself...all autos.

Click the picture to see the video.

ProtechBrend Auto 2 small.
Carried for 4 years, gave the first one to my son for his birthday.
It was 7 years old and the spring broke. Protech replaced the spring and installed a new blade for $10.
It's a go to company.



Here's my work knife.

Fallkniven U2 and a mini coin cell flashlight.



bill
That'd be prohibited in Canada.
__________________
"These instructions are at our present level of
knowledge. Legal requirements do not exist.
Technical issues subject to change."
Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #3894
bmwktmbill
Traveler
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Traveler
Oddometer: 4,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware02 View Post
That'd be prohibited in Canada.
It's been to Canada.
Nice customs there, polite.

And around the world via Wisconsin to Seattle, Korea, Russia, Mongolia, the EU and home plus C. America, traveling by motorcycle. That and a big canister of bear spray. Just stuck it all in the panniers with other riding gear for customs.

No one cares. Border control understands that motorcyclists have special needs they don't have.
A fat passport full of stamps and a beat up motorcycle and rider is mostly a pass, a curiosity.
I have never been searched, poked a little...too much respect I guess.

That said, Homeland Security in the USA are a pack of assholes, the worst in the world.
USA police and US border police are the new gestapo. Totally out of hand by world standards.

Why we put up with it is beyond me.
bill
__________________
'02 KTM 640 Adventure-lowered
"On the road there are no special cases."
Cormack McCarthy-The Crossing

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 08:34 AM
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #3895
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!
 
Roadracer_Al's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Oakland, CA
Oddometer: 1,297
Bill, same boat -- my wife & I have travelled extensively in Asia, visited Australia & New Zealand a year ago, and lived in Mongolia for a year about 10 years ago.

The airport staff in New Zealand actually voiced embarrassment over the intrusive, combative nature of the TSA search at Auckland Int'l Airport.

I couldn't agree more about the short-sighted, farcical nature of TSA -- it's security theater, not actual security. The problem is that once installed, we will never, ever get rid of it. What politician is ever going to stand up in front of the voting public and say "I think we need to reduce security against the threat of terrorism." ??? Not one that ever has an ambition of getting re-elected. Both parties would jump on the guy like pirañas.

Regarding the border crossing into Canada, I was literally strip searched, and every single item removed from my luggage, and the seat removed, the airbox and tank examined. I was 19, and on a 10 year old Honda, dressed in scruffy jeans and a black leather jacket. Maybe I wore the wrong aftershave. I had a 5" fixed blad knife in the bottom of a saddle bag (one which I'd made) and that was brought to me with the question "why do you need this?" I told them it was a tool just like a screwdriver, and it had specific uses which no other tool could accomplish. The customs guy shrugged, nodded, and sent me on my way.
__________________
------------------------------
Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow
------------------------------
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #3896
bmwktmbill
Traveler
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Traveler
Oddometer: 4,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
Bill, same boat -- my wife & I have travelled extensively in Asia, visited Australia & New Zealand a year ago, and lived in Mongolia for a year about 10 years ago.

The airport staff in New Zealand actually voiced embarrassment over the intrusive, combative nature of the TSA search at Auckland Int'l Airport.

I couldn't agree more about the short-sighted, farcical nature of TSA -- it's security theater, not actual security. The problem is that once installed, we will never, ever get rid of it. What politician is ever going to stand up in front of the voting public and say "I think we need to reduce security against the threat of terrorism." ??? Not one that ever has an ambition of getting re-elected. Both parties would jump on the guy like pirañas.

Regarding the border crossing into Canada, I was literally strip searched, and every single item removed from my luggage, and the seat removed, the airbox and tank examined. I was 19, and on a 10 year old Honda, dressed in scruffy jeans and a black leather jacket. Maybe I wore the wrong aftershave. I had a 5" fixed blad knife in the bottom of a saddle bag (one which I'd made) and that was brought to me with the question "why do you need this?" I told them it was a tool just like a screwdriver, and it had specific uses which no other tool could accomplish. The customs guy shrugged, nodded, and sent me on my way.
Al,
Maybe it helps to be an old man...I was 60 yrs. when I traved through North and South America and 62 when I traveled in Russia, Mongolia and Europe.

My eyes are clear these days. I don't drink or use drugs. I am a RN in actuality and a Registered Nurse, medico persona, enfermero, or doctor as necessary at the border. I always stop the motorcycle and remove my hemet so some age shows??

The Hell's Angels have caused all kinds of trouble in Canada and are a real threat to society. I don't think that helps us here or there. I hope every one of them is taken down and every Harley wantabe who dresses like them and runs a bike with no mufflers.

When I travel this comes too...



Fallknifen F1 in VG10, you can buy one for around $110usd so why the heck not take it?

I have been to the Arctic Circle in the Yukon and heard the call at 2pm..."Bear in camp!!" and car doors slamming!!. There I lay in my tent, half naked with a canister of bear spray...no, I have a decent knife FWIW.

Then I go out and start my motorcycle and turn on the headlight. Why I am not sure?
I hate fucking bears(and the Bears, being from Wisconsin and a Green Bay Packer backer).

Black bears...hate 'em. Big and stupid.
bill

All this is IMHO please.
And BTW we just did up a white tail doe with the F1. She stayed sharp through the gutting , skinning and quartering, no problem. It is handy in the hand and very much non slippery. It would butcher meat too but it is no butcher knife. Kinda thick for that, nice chopper though.

Easy enough to sharpen but you need a diamond sharpener.
Been using this one and yes it goes traveling on the motorcycle.

http://www.dmtsharp.com/sharpeners/f...sided-diafold/

bill
__________________
'02 KTM 640 Adventure-lowered
"On the road there are no special cases."
Cormack McCarthy-The Crossing

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 10:06 PM
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #3897
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer
 
soyanarchisto's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Sunny PDX
Oddometer: 2,937
Paging Smithy to the white courtesy phone.
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #3898
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8
 
fritzcoinc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress, Tx
Oddometer: 6,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
It's a nice shape, but that's why I dislike 440C. It's just too prone to catastrophic failure like you document here. You could have hurt yourself badly with that snapped blade. All the "German Steel" and "Ice Hardened" is just sizzle, as there's really only one way to get the most out of crappy stainless... requiring precision temperature controls, and the rates at which you achieve those temperatures. Cryo-treatment does squeeze a little more out of it, but it's marginal, and if not properly tempered afterwards, and the grain controlled for in pre-hardening heat treatments, you get examples like this... a little stress runs a break across the whole profile.

The handle design on those are cool, though. I like the shape and they look comfortable to use. Glad they stood behind their name and replaced it.

What range, + set point , is considered " precision temperature control "?
__________________
Regards
Fritzcoinc
96 XR650L, 96 Guzzi Sport, 07 BMW K1200GT,
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #3899
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon
 
Smithy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: 22310
Oddometer: 7,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
What range, + set point , is considered " precision temperature control "?
On the edge of performance? A few degrees. No more than 10, I'd prefer 5, with correct soak times and timing on the change in temps. That's the really hard part - can you get the entire body of the knife (not just the outer skin) from hot to cold fast enough to get the right matrix across the blade? For most carbon steels, this is straightforward if not trivial, but stainless is a whole 'nuther ball of wax.
__________________
Consultant, Geospatial Science at Viking Geographic LLC
Never Stop Exploring

Proprietor of The Tidewater Forge
Hot iron is my passion. Fire is my mistress. Let's dance.
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:58 AM   #3900
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8
 
fritzcoinc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress, Tx
Oddometer: 6,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
On the edge of performance? A few degrees. No more than 10, I'd prefer 5, with correct soak times and timing on the change in temps. That's the really hard part - can you get the entire body of the knife (not just the outer skin) from hot to cold fast enough to get the right matrix across the blade? For most carbon steels, this is straightforward if not trivial, but stainless is a whole 'nuther ball of wax.
$.02
Its simple metallurgy not a” Black Art”?
Because 440C has the feature of secondary hardening, maximum hardness is achieved in a very narrow tempering temperature range. This temperature is dependent upon the actual chemistry of the material. It’s usually 875 df. The hardness increases with tempering up to 875 then hardness decreases quickly with tempering temperatures above 875 df. Stainless steels conduct heat more slowly than alloy steels so a practical way to “hit “the maximum hardness tempering temperature without overshooting is to pre-heat. Hold the parts at a slightly lower temperature for sufficient time and then set up the temperature to the desired temperature and hold for sufficient time. Pre-heating will also insure uniform tempering throughout the thick/thin sections of the part. 440C has very low ductility at its maximum hardness and ductility would be further reduced by cold operating temperatures.
__________________
Regards
Fritzcoinc
96 XR650L, 96 Guzzi Sport, 07 BMW K1200GT,
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7

fritzcoinc screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 06:39 AM
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014