ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 139 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #6151
Bonerov
Damned dirty ape

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I bet if you contacted Garmin about it, they wouldn't ask for the old one back. If you contact the vendor, odds are you would need to send it back. If you do need to send it back, I don't think anyone would care about the shortened wires; it's not like they're going to sell it to someone else.

In your situation I'd use the one you have, contact Garmin, and wait for the replacement. The Montana's not going to fall out just because the screw is not done up as long as you're careful to make sure it's properly in the mount.
Excellent. Thank you for the info. I'll call Garmin this afternoon to see if I can get a replacement sent out.
Bonerov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #6152
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,541
Hi Inmates..

Juts picked up a 600 last week...very impressed to date so wanted to just chiem in to says thanks to all who have supplied information so as donkey heads like me can understand the workings somewhat...just have to order a rugged mount and wires within the next couple fo days to complete the set up...

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #6153
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
That's right. Whatever the highest and lowest temps the Tempe has seen and recorded to the gps is always retained unless you remove the Tempe battery for 30 seconds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Yes, it is all explained here.
Thanks guys. Just got my Tempe yesterday, after a long wait. Hopefully that means it's an updated unit. I guess I'll find out shortly.
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #6154
mass-klr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonerov View Post
Quick question: do I contact Garmin or do I contact the vendor from whom I purchased the item, in order to get it replaced? Also, will they take back the old one if I've chopped off the three data wires? Doh....
I had the same thing happened to me, mounted and cabled. I sent an email to the Garmin support email. They asked for a receipt and I sent them my Amazon receipt. Even though I did not buy it from them directly they just sent me a new mount which I received few days ago. I still have to take the other one off and put the new one back. I am glad they did not ask for the faulty one back since I shortened the cable when I installed it.
mass-klr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #6155
Bonerov
Damned dirty ape

Thanks for the info. I am hoping it will be the same for me. I emailed them this afternoon, so we'll see what they say. In the meantime, I'll make sure I have my Amazon receipt handy.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #6156
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,684
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I am hoping it will be the same for me. I emailed them this afternoon, so we'll see what they say. In the meantime, I'll make sure I have my Amazon receipt handy.
Smoke signals are more effective than email when you contact Garmin.

Call their toll free number for real service.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #6157
Bonerov
Damned dirty ape

Quote:
Smoke signals are more effective than email when you contact Garmin.

Call their toll free number for real service.
Noted. I'll give them 24 hours to respond before I call. As you pointed out before, the one I have will get me by in the meantime. I just have to dismount the gps when I am away from the bike for a minute or two.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #6158
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Noted. I'll give them 24 hours to respond before I call. As you pointed out before, the one I have will get me by in the meantime. I just have to dismount the gps when I am away from the bike for a minute or two.
They generally do respond to email. It's just that it probably won't be quickly.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:21 AM   #6159
heilong
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
Hopefully this is the final installment of "As the Montana Crashes"

I now have several rides on and off the interstate at all RPM ranges with......wait for it........................

NO CRASHES!!!!!!!!!!!!! (the Montana not me, I didn't crash either though)

It seems my noise filter has worked!!
I hope this is the last of my troubles.....

For now I'm calling this case closed.
Thanks for all the help and feedback.....
Well man, details?!

My Montana crashes (actually shows the white screen of death, it appears to still work as it beeps before upcoming turns etc., but I can't shut it off without pulling the battery) all the time at high RPM (single-cylinder Kawa KLX250).
I've read your story in the Montana thread, and was really disappointed that you didn't post any details regarding your fix (just a "noise filter", you said) when you fixed that. Can you please post the details? Did you get a switched power source, some kind of inline noise filter, or just put an EMI choke (AKA ferrite bead) over your cable? Something else? Where did you get parts, specs, photos etc.? Looking forward to hear the details :)
heilong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:28 AM   #6160
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by heilong View Post
Well man, details?!

My Montana crashes (actually shows the white screen of death, it appears to still work as it beeps before upcoming turns etc., but I can't shut it off without pulling the battery) all the time at high RPM (single-cylinder Kawa KLX250).
I've read your story in the Montana thread, and was really disappointed that you didn't post any details regarding your fix (just a "noise filter", you said) when you fixed that. Can you please post the details? Did you get a switched power source, some kind of inline noise filter, or just put an EMI choke (AKA ferrite bead) over your cable? Something else? Where did you get parts, specs, photos etc.? Looking forward to hear the details :)
If you're pulling your battery out to recover from white screen crashes, you're just going to keep seeing them. In the case of a WSC, take the Montana off the cradle and hold the power button in for 20 seconds and the unit will shut down, then when you restart it, it'll be much less likely to get another WSC.

Do you have an earplug in the battery case to hold the battery from jiggling around and losing contact?
Old 12-06-2012, 05:51 AM   #6161
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
Quote:
If you're pulling your battery out to recover from white screen crashes, you're just going to keep seeing them. In the case of a WSC, take the Montana off the cradle and hold the power button in for 20 seconds and the unit will shut down, then when you restart it, it'll be much less likely to get another WSC.

Do you have an earplug in the battery case to hold the battery from jiggling around and losing contact?

This sounds like the same issue I had and holding the power button did nothing, the only way it would reboot is pulling the battery. I am conviced the Montana is sensitive to EM frequencies generated by certain bikes.

Try a Ferrous choke as close to the mount as possible. You should be able to find them at any decent electronics parts store like Radio Shack (or whatever the Russian equivalent is). I haven't had an issue since I added mine.
See this post
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post19649772
Old 12-06-2012, 06:04 AM   #6162
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
This sounds like the same issue I had and holding the power button did nothing, the only way it would reboot is pulling the battery. I am conviced the Montana is sensitive to EM frequencies generated by certain bikes.

Try a Ferrous choke as close to the mount as possible. You should be able to find them at any decent electronics parts store like Radio Shack (or whatever the Russian equivalent is). I haven't had an issue since I added mine.
See this post

The only way to properly recover from the WSC is to pull it off the mount and shut it down properly. The solution I suggested can't always prevent the problem but I think it does 95% of the time. IMHO, of course.

If the problem is really EM or RF interference, then your solution makes sense. But shutting the gps down properly still is important.

Pulling the battery to clear a WSC seems to leave it in an error prone condition.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #6163
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The only way to properly recover from the WSC is to pull it off the mount and shut it down properly. The solution I suggested can't always prevent the problem but I think it does 95% of the time. IMHO, of course.

If the problem is really EM or RF interference, then your solution makes sense. But shutting the gps down properly still is important.

Pulling the battery to clear a WSC seems to leave it in an error prone condition.
Not arguing that, my point is with my specific issue (and it sounds like he has a similar one) there was NO way to shut it down other than pulling the battery. Holding the power button for any length of time had no effect in or out of the mount.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #6164
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,883
Quote:

See this post
I did a little digging, and this appears to be the ferrous choke Offcamber shows in his pic: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103222

There is also this one: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2996360

Note: I have no experience with these, but saw his post and looked them up.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #6165
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
I did a little digging, and this appears to be the ferrous choke Offcamber shows in his pic: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103222

There is also this one: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2996360

Note: I have no experience with these, but saw his post and looked them up.

Yuppers that's the one...You can also find similar products in computer supply outlets....very common on USB and other data cables.

Any chunk of Ferous material around the wire should work.