Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
Cactus Dave OP
Born to Argue

Oddometer: 690
Pikes Peak International Hill Climb

All -

The Pikes Peak International Hill Climb (PPIHC) has decided, after eliminating it, to add back the Vintage class for motorcycles. I won't go into all the details right now, but historically, the class had two basic rules:
1. Bikes had to generally/roughly be AHRMA 750 Sportsman legal; and
2. Riders had to be 50 years of age or older.

This is a GREAT event. I've raced it 3 times, and now that they have decided to add back the Vintage class, I'll be back again in 2013. Well built and ridden 750 Triumphs and 750 Yamahas generally dominate - I have run a 650 BSA Hornet in a Trackmaster frame.

(It is now fully paved. The photo above is from 2009 when it was 1/2 dirt and 1/2 pavement)

You have to act FAST: entry deadline is December 31, 2012, I believe. Entry fee is $700 per rider/bike. It ain't cheap, but it is well worth the $$'s and time. I'll answer any questions, make suggestions for accomodations, scheduling, transport, etc. The more the merrier, and the moto crowd is one of the best I've ever encountered, the race organizers are wonderful, the locals support and love the event and its participants, and it is simply a thrilling run up 12.5 miles, 130+ turns with spectacular views in America's 2d oldest (behind the Indy 500) motor race.

You can get all entry info at: http://www.usacracing.com/ppihc

Don't delay!

Cheers,

Dave

Cactus Dave screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 10:11 PM Reason: to correct typo in title
Cactus Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,181
Super cool, Dave!!!
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:18 AM   #3
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,199
Dave,

Good luck. I am likely not doing the event this year. May try to spectate, we'll have to see.

FWIW, I've done the event 2x and second everything Dave says. If you can possibly compete, do so. Great folks and an entire week immersed with many luninaries of racing.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
Cactus Dave OP
Born to Argue

Oddometer: 690
Thanks Barry. Good to hear from ya'. If helping with transport & accomodations will sway your decision to run again in 2013 (race is June 30, 2013), let me know and I'll see what I can do to make it happen.

One thing folks should be aware of is there are several "practice" sessions now available in June. For first timers, this is a HUGE advantage in seeing the Mountain and getting somewhat more comfortable in that environ before the pressure and crush of practice, qualifying and race day. That was unavailable when Barry and I first ran the Mountain. I've not made the trip for a "practice" (it is a loooong haul from Atlanta), but first time folks who did it last year really enjoyed it and were glad they had the opportunity to "suss out" the Mountain.

Vintage guys and gals enter soon!

Cheers,

Dave
Cactus Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,199
Dave,

Thanks a bunch. I have a lot going on right now and do not think i can get away this year.

If that changes i will ping you!

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
KTMSAM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Good Luck Dave!! A couple of friends and myself will be riding there to camp on the mountain and spectate, I will certainly be looking for you!