ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #16
225
Adventurer
 
225's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: New Orleans
Oddometer: 98
I have a Nikon D80 with a 18-55mm lens I'll sell you for $300
225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #17
Terrytori
Namaste
 
Terrytori's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Halifax Nova Scotia
Oddometer: 1,821
Just unloaded a Fuji X100 and Fuji X10, for a Fuji Pro 1 ( yeah I'm hooked on those things ) and their complete lens lineup.

Can say without hesitancy that the X10 is a fine little box.

It's also not a match for the image quality and portability found in this little guy.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/0...camera-review/

... and we all know, that the best camera is the one we have with us.

The RX100 is the camera i now carry most of the time.

The pic below was shot with it... the image was significantly cropped.

__________________
2013 Ninja 300 ABS, '11 883 Iron ( kicked to 1200), 2013 KTM 690 Duke

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #18
GHO100
Crazy George
 
GHO100's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Downtown Brooklyn
Oddometer: 920
speaking of the RX100

Took this one up at the Renjo La Pass:

__________________
1987 BMW K75T with Hannigan SuperSport hack
1980 Suzuki GS850G (project)
www.TeslaLEDS.com
www.NYMSTF.org - Support NY Riders!
2006 VStrom 1000 "Felaróf" - July 13th, 2013 (73,000 miles)
GHO100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #19
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step
 
FLYING EYEBALL's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: southeast of seattle
Oddometer: 10,342
fullframe 38mm f2.8



for compact right now...hmmm

adorama had the lx-7 for 300 the other day on sale

otherwise

x1-pro or om-d for the smaller stuff.

m8 or m6 if you have the $$

If you have more $$

Leica monochrome
__________________
if you keep poor...the struggle is simple

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #20
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 36,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
My problem with mirrorless/interchangable lens cameras is they're still well beyond fitting in your pocket, and you're still not getting the benefit of a decent viewfinder (although I have not looked at the latest digital viewfinders)...

So for me, I'm still not convinced about 4/3 mirrorless...but there are some increasingly appealing models coming out in this space.
The current higher end P&S aren't much better, even my P300 will barely fit in my pocket due to the huge lens, with cargo pants it's alright but jeans it'll be a tight fit. I might get a new battery for my old S600 because it is so much smaller.
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #21
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 36,055
To the OP if you like the look of shots from the 70-200 you're in DSLR only territory. They are starting to come out with nicer lenses for mirrorless cameras but they are limited and pretty much all primes. And a point and shoot wont even come close.

My advice is have both, or go crazy and have 2 SLR set ups. My Fuji S5 Pro uses Nikon DX lenses and a full kit is noticeably smaller than the D700's. Also the original D300 is getting really affordable on the used market, 650 for the original model which would be a great deal if you plan to do any action shots. After seeing that I'm seriously thinking about picking one up.
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #22
Terrytori
Namaste
 
Terrytori's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Halifax Nova Scotia
Oddometer: 1,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING EYEBALL View Post
fullframe 38mm f2.8



for compact right now...hmmm

adorama had the lx-7 for 300 the other day on sale

otherwise

x1-pro or om-d for the smaller stuff.

m8 or m6 if you have the $$

If you have more $$

Leica monochrome
The Leica monochrome is god's way of telling you you're stupid
__________________
2013 Ninja 300 ABS, '11 883 Iron ( kicked to 1200), 2013 KTM 690 Duke

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #23
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step
 
FLYING EYEBALL's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: southeast of seattle
Oddometer: 10,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori View Post
The Leica monochrome is god's way of telling you you're stupid

at the Lake of Fire I'll be shooting a Leica.

ps

That blue font is super annoying
__________________
if you keep poor...the struggle is simple

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #24
5th-Elefant
Beastly Adventurer
 
5th-Elefant's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Oddometer: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
My problem with mirrorless/interchangable lens cameras is they're still well beyond fitting in your pocket, and you're still not getting the benefit of a decent viewfinder (although I have not looked at the latest digital viewfinders)...

So for me, I'm still not convinced about 4/3 mirrorless...but there are some increasingly appealing models coming out in this space.
Have a look at the nex-6 and nex-7. Excellent view finders and there are a couple of lenses that make it jacket-pocketable (16mm and 16-50mm).
5th-Elefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #25
Mav
Something witty...
 
Mav's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Blighty
Oddometer: 3,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th-Elefant View Post
Have a look at the nex-6 and nex-7. Excellent view finders and there are a couple of lenses that make it jacket-pocketable (16mm and 16-50mm).
Funnily enough, one of my friends turned with a Nex-6 last night and I have to say I was really impressed. Very fast and the digital viewfinder was surprisingly close to an optical viewfinder with the added benefits of digital overlay.

I still need some convincing that the trade off is worth it for me, now that I'm quite comfortable carrying my dslr around... but the nex 6 is a indeed rather nice. I can only assume the 7 is nicer still.

It's a great time to be a photographer
__________________
Mav

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #26
5th-Elefant
Beastly Adventurer
 
5th-Elefant's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Oddometer: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
Funnily enough, one of my friends turned with a Nex-6 last night and I have to say I was really impressed. Very fast and the digital viewfinder was surprisingly close to an optical viewfinder with the added benefits of digital overlay.

I still need some convincing that the trade off is worth it for me, now that I'm quite comfortable carrying my dslr around... but the nex 6 is a indeed rather nice. I can only assume the 7 is nicer still.

It's a great time to be a photographer
I've got the 7. Same as the 6 really. The 7 is a generation older, well half a generation, so despite the 6 being the lower model it's inherited all the good stuff.

Mine hasn't replaced my dslr but I use it 75% of the time I guess.
5th-Elefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:57 AM   #27
Terrytori
Namaste
 
Terrytori's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Halifax Nova Scotia
Oddometer: 1,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING EYEBALL View Post
at the Lake of Fire I'll be shooting a Leica.

ps

That blue font is super annoying
Eyeball, just retread my post in which I said " The Leica Monochrome is god's way of telling you that you're stupid"

Don't know how you couldn't think that was directed specifically at you.

It wasn't , as I too have lusted after that box and the glass to go with it.

When reality and sobriety finally set it , I understand that b&W is best processed from a raw , colour image, affording us
greater control over tonal values... something that the monochrome would decide for us.


Never meant to bark at you, man.

terry
__________________
2013 Ninja 300 ABS, '11 883 Iron ( kicked to 1200), 2013 KTM 690 Duke

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:47 AM   #28
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer
 
anotherguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: the hills
Oddometer: 5,882
B&W is actually best processed............well actually printed form a properly exposed negative and printed in a wet darkroom.
__________________
A lie has no feet......it can't stand alone.............
Jason Newsted
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:46 AM   #29
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2005
Oddometer: 4,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori View Post
greater control over tonal values... something that the monochrome would decide for us.
terry
Does the monochrome option give you raw + monochrome, or does it *only* give you monochrome??
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:48 AM   #30
5th-Elefant
Beastly Adventurer
 
5th-Elefant's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Oddometer: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
Does the monochrome option give you raw + monochrome, or does it *only* give you monochrome??
Monochrome raw.
5th-Elefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014