Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 06:46 AM   #31
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
B&W is actually best processed............well actually printed form a properly exposed negative and printed in a wet darkroom.

Sadly, the sun has nearly set on those days.

Some hugely gifted printers I know, have not gone near a chemical bath in the last couple of years.

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #32
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori View Post
Sadly, the sun has nearly set on those days.

Some hugely gifted printers I know, have not gone near a chemical bath in the last couple of years.
The report of silver's death is quite premature.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:20 AM   #33
Aj Mick OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
So keep the tough compact - that can stay in your pocket as you don't need to worry about the weather etc and get the dslr for when you've got a little more time
This would seem to be the most obvious option...... if I had a house or at least could see myself based somewhere for quite a while longer. I guess it is the way I would like to go...... but.....

After nearly a decade where I am now a move is staring to look imminent. That will involve a 11,000 km flight to the land of my birth, and uncertainty about where I will be living. Most likely I will be itinerant for a bit, at least, before I get somewhat settled. That is what puts me off for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
To the OP if you like the look of shots from the 70-200 you're in DSLR only territory. They are starting to come out with nicer lenses for mirrorless cameras but they are limited and pretty much all primes. And a point and shoot wont even come close.

My advice is have both, or go crazy and have 2 SLR set ups. My Fuji S5 Pro uses Nikon DX lenses and a full kit is noticeably smaller than the D700's. Also the original D300 is getting really affordable on the used market, 650 for the original model which would be a great deal if you plan to do any action shots. After seeing that I'm seriously thinking about picking one up.
Would be nice too, but even more stuff..... when itinerant, less is much, much more. One day it might be nice to land up with a "tough" camera, a Fuji X10 or similar (with an underwater housing), and a DSLR. Just not right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
Funnily enough, one of my friends turned with a Nex-6 last night and I have to say I was really impressed. Very fast and the digital viewfinder was surprisingly close to an optical viewfinder with the added benefits of digital overlay.

I still need some convincing that the trade off is worth it for me, now that I'm quite comfortable carrying my dslr around... but the nex 6 is a indeed rather nice. I can only assume the 7 is nicer still.

It's a great time to be a photographer
It is always a trade off, and then making the most of what you have within its limitations. As they say a bad workman blames his tools. A good workman knows how to get the most out of what he has to work with.

The Fuji X10 could be the way I go for now. With the better lens, bigger sensor, and (most importantly for photographing sport) insignificant shutter lag, it would be an improvement on what I have albeit with some limitations. In the end it is just a matter of making the trade off, and making the most of it.

Thanks for the input.

A bit of what I have done with the versatile Olympus TG310:

Action in front of the pavilion - the first game of the Phuket T/20 Cricket League 2012. This was used in the local newspaper, as have quite a few other photos I have taken to go with write ups of the games.

Happy dog on the beach

Always take an umbrella when going out for a ride.

The correct way to carry a pillion

At Ao Sane

Gods and fireworks; last night of the Phuket Vegetarian Festival 2012. The photos were taken at the same spot, within about 15 minutes of each other.

Aj Mick screwed with this post 12-08-2012 at 02:38 AM
Aj Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:47 AM   #34
Aj Mick OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
I have a Nikon D80 with a 18-55mm lens I'll sell you for $300
Thanks for the offer, but I am in Thailand, and I guess you are in the USA

Quote:
Also the original D300 is getting really affordable on the used market, 650 for the original model which would be a great deal if you plan to do any action shots. After seeing that I'm seriously thinking about picking one up.
Unlike many developed countries, there is not much of a second hand market for anything here. My first camera, bought in my home country, New Zealand. was second hand. So was my last film camera, bought in Japan.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #35
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th-Elefant View Post
Monochrome raw.
That is definitely an odd child. I suppose it's fun to constrain yourself. Definitely a 3rd camera.

Shutterlag on *any* of the cameras discussed is a complete non-issue.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:56 PM   #36
Aj Mick OP
Studly Adventurer

Went Fujifilm X10 in the end

In the end I went for the Fujifilm X10 ....... maybe a DSLR with a decent zoom some time in future. For now the compactness of the X10 suits my needs and style. I have been pleased with some the photos I have taken over the past three weeks, some of which have been used in the local newspapers......

Mostly been used for photographing sport; sorry no motorcycles so far!

Less than pleasing was taking it back to the shop yesterday. The optical viewfinder stopped moving with the lens. Obviously the linkage got disconnected or something. I want it fixed, hopefully under warranty, but I don't care if I have to pay....... it is going to take 45 days before it gets back to me!

Action program - 1/900th; f2.8; ISO 100
Old 03-31-2013, 10:03 PM   #37
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
B&W is actually best processed............well actually printed form a properly exposed negative and printed in a wet darkroom.
I thought that until I got a Fuji S5 Pro, and a D700.

The Fuji gives me the dynamic range of film, and the D700 gives me high ISO performance that film couldn't dream of. ISO 25,600 is cleaner than ISO 3,200 film

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:04 PM   #38
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj Mick View Post
Thanks for the offer, but I am in Thailand, and I guess you are in the USA

Unlike many developed countries, there is not much of a second hand market for anything here. My first camera, bought in my home country, New Zealand. was second hand. So was my last film camera, bought in Japan.
Look at the D7100 and Sigma 50-150 F2.8, it'll give you performance like the full size DSLR and 70-200 but in a smaller form factor.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:54 AM   #39
Aj Mick OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Look at the D7100 and Sigma 50-150 F2.8, it'll give you performance like the full size DSLR and 70-200 but in a smaller form factor.
Thanks, it looks like the sort of set-up I would go for. A full frame DSLR would be overkill for my needs. Plenty of megapixels is good too, as often I just take a general picture of a piece of action, then crop out the bit I want.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #40
TiPirate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Devil's advocate says:

Weatherproof, pocket-sized, excellent optics. You can buy a shitload of film for the difference in price.
TiPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #41
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 9,905

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:35 AM   #42
TiPirate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns View Post

Hey, you know best. I'm just the one who's been making a living with cameras for 10 years. ;)
TiPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:28 AM   #43
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,644
Olympus OM-D for fantastic 4/3 goodness

Canon S90 or better (S100, etc) for a pocket cam that rivals DSLR images in decent light.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #44
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiPirate View Post
Hey, you know best. I'm just the one who's been making a living with cameras for 10 years. ;)

Raven?

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #45
Krantz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
So much depends on what you shoot.If it is static landscape-by no means 3/4 is fantastic now in decent light.If you want to hit a moving target,like BIF, then dslr has no substitute.I carry both in my bag.When i jump on my bike, i throw my 1DII N over my shoulder.Yes, it is heavy bastard,it's only 8MP.But autofocus and metering are fantastic,it is sturdy tank,and still takes nice pictures.
This was late October, park st Jacques. This dude pulled his canoe off his pick up.We started talking, he said" i just got a good deal on it, wanna finish the season" i pushed him off and snapped this shot.Or try to get that bird with a compact.Anyway,I can tell you one thing- no matter how mush we shoot, it's not enough.
Krantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: