Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2012, 07:19 AM   #11
zooomgovroom
hooligan-esque

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Smoke View Post
I think I counted five post bemoaning suspension travel. Get real people. You know damn well you won't use all that travel in the first place; seems like bitching for the sake of bitching to me. Maybe I'm wrong and you guys plan on taking your Hyperstrada with panniers, top case, center stand, and a windshield on 10' jumps while wearing your Klim adventure suit (not). I'm sure the travel will be fine for the gravel roads you guys might ride on. If you want a 400# touring bike with long suspension turn an XR650 into a chuck wagon like this guy did.

while the brunt of your post I find to be dead on...the problem with the previous generation Hyper's suspension is a real issue for some when you get into fine tuned subtleties. When you are accustomed to a road biased machine that has the suspension set up right, the pogo-ey nature of the Hyper not settling in a turn smoothly like a roadbike is offputting. Keep in mind, most that have issues with the Hyper's suspension, are generally going to be road only riders really. In those cases, I have seen people try all manner of different weight oils in the forks, different springs and valving, and various amounts of labor to try and get them right, and some never will be happy. That is somewhat the nature of the beast that you are dealing with in that machine. It will be interesting to see of the new gen Hyper carries some of those same traits, or how its manners are in regards to the road. In any other situation, all bets are off as the Hyper, despite marking hype and all, really isn't designed to REALLY be used for things like the Shenny 500, or Baja 1000, Dakar, Hatfield McCoys, are any haunts remotely looser than packed gravel/dirt. It just isn't the right tool for the job.

-12/19/07-zarn02 on the DML
zooomgovroom is offline   Reply With Quote