Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #121
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru

Oddometer: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post

I've been called an arrogant asshole, a festering cockmonster, and a diseased taintstick. But never a "tough guy". I'll take it under advisement, and thanks for the heads-up.

Seriously, in the end, I just want people to get good, accurate information. Lots of new people come here for advice on what bike to buy....I was that guy 4 years ago after being out of the offroad game for 20 years.

I read the posts and made a really bad decision on my first bike as a result.

People need to know the truth. The KLR is a decent bike, but because it "looks" like a dirt bike, people think they are are going to fly over whoops and launch table tops with it.

They need to know that it's a big, heavy pig of a bike that does nothing particularly well. It can be ridden anywhere, yes. Is it reliable? Sure. Is it more reliable that most big singles? No, I don't believe so. Especially 08+. The earlier years were better bikes.

It's cheap to own, cheap to buy, and you pay for that cheapness on the trail and at the end of the day.

So thus, education is my goal.

No, the bike was rarin to go, my old, out of shape ass was DONE after 30 miles. (but we did 100 the day prior of KNARLY trails)

So we limped back to camp and "roughed it".
This thread has been interesting to say the least.

I have owned 4 KLR's, my 2011 runs really good. I love them all. I have owned a few KTM's, one Husky, ummm,
yea a few motorcycles. I am mostly a dirt bike rider however, and the KLR is just a big ole comfortable bike, that
I can ride in comfort for miles of dirt roads, and less traveled roads. It is perfect for me for that purpose. I have other bikes which I ride alot more to take care of the whoops, sand, hills, roots, rocks, coyotes, cactus, .....

But what really freaks me out about this photo is I may have that same Cross Roads Cruiser fifth wheel?
And I have that same "life is good" tee shirt!

Now that is totally "off the grid".
Old 12-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #122
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
People need to know the truth. The KLR is a decent bike, but because it "looks" like a dirt bike, people think they are are going to fly over whoops and launch table tops with it.

They need to know that it's a big, heavy pig of a bike that does nothing particularly well.
Yes because all the real ADVRiders are annoyed at all the KLR owners complaining about how their bikes can't handle MX track type terrain. You're a complete fucking moron if you think any significant portion of KLR owners believe their bikes should be able to do table tops.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #123
kojack
My bikes Suck!

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I think KTM would sell a lot more 690e bikes if they mounted that engine in a frame with 34" seat height, had 200 mile range, a wide spread gear box and added a windscreen and a seat instead of a suppository
Ha ha nice description of the seat...,

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #124
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoberTx View Post
I've got a serious question for the KTM riders no flaming intended. There is only one KTM dealer (also sells Honda, Yam, Suz, and Victory) in this area and it only keeps a few 2 stroke KTMs on the showroom floor yet there are full compliments of models from the other brands. If you want to buy a street legal KTM you have to order it and wait for delivery. Sometimes the dealer can't find the bike you want and the wait can last months or more and they won't even start looking till you lay down some money. I want to add the dealership has been around for decades and has a good reputation but I've never dealt with them other than to inquire over the phone about a 690. Is this the norm for KTM dealers?
That is because there are two types of KTM dealers:

Level I: the dirt bike only dealer
Level II: the full line dealer, which includes the street bikes

I believe the street line dealer has to be accredited to carry the full line of KTM bikes and has to send it's mechanics to the KTM school for certification.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #125
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
I think KTM would sell a lot more 690e bikes if they mounted that engine in a frame with 34" seat height, had 200 mile range, a wide spread gear box and added a windscreen and a seat instead of a suppository
Nice backpedaling job with that Nuke.

Maybe they WOULD sell a lot more if they were crappy.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #126
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Oddometer: 372
Now that I've read the whole thread, I have to ask...

You be the judge: is Off the grid a orange kool-aid drinking KLR hating troll?

1st post in this thread:
Quote:
The KTM 690 makes 61hp stock.

Stephen King could foreshadow this twisted tale any better...

2nd post:
Quote:
Might of been the case in the 90s, but not now. I'd put KTMs RFS bike up against any KLR any day of the week..
While Japanese motorcycle makers have been asleep, Euro designers have overtaken the dual sport market. The 08 KLR "redesign" didn't help.
How many RFS engines have gone even 30k miles without replacing a single thing in the motor (or as KTM owners love to call it, "preventative maintenance" )? The "KLR miles check-in" thread and the disproportionate number of KTM horror stories to number of KTMs out there makes this troll's beliefs obvious for what they are, complete BS Obviously if you want an orange single with long-term maintenance even remotely comparable to a KLR, you're going to have to look for a LC4 and even owners of those bikes seem to do a lot of "preventative maintenance". But we all know the Euro bikes are dominating the dual sport market with their extremely high sales numbers somehow compared to the well established and going-nowhere Jap dual sport offerings, right!? What a joke. What he's trying to say here is "I'm an orange troll and my obsessions project outward and alter my perceptions of the market place such that they don't reflect reality at all".

His third post in this thread fell into rank like clockwork orange (pun intended):
Quote:
It's not just the anemic engine, it's the fucking atrocious suspension and dangerous brakes.
His fourth post was another solid contribution to KTM egomania:
Quote:
Someone would have to be a mental patient to put that kind of money into a KLR. Better off selling it, adding the 1k and getting a 640 LC4.
To think, all those satisfied big bore Stage II KLR owners are actually insane!?

Then he finally came all the way out from under the bridge with his 5th post:
Quote:
KLR riders making fun of KTMs is the epitome of hilarity. Give it a rest, guys. Your bike sucks, and is the laughingstock of the off-road community for over a decade now.
6th post:
Quote:
You are missing the point entirely. The point is that in your mind, a KTM is some sort of exotic, high-zoot, high-strung race machine.

The real-world reality is the exact opposite. It is very workmanship and tractor-like, and put together by engineers that knew what they were doing.

There's a reason why almost everyone rides them.

Hey, there's a place in the offroad world for a KLR, and I've seen them do some things that defy logic, but when people start slinging outright lies on KTMs, I tend to have a problem with that.

I'm here to educate people.

I wonder how many other KTM owners would dare describe their bikes as "tractor-like" if not simply for the fact that they wouldn't risk tainting their egos with any phrase that is so plainly associated with the KLR more so than any other bike out there. Such warped perception can only be explained by the presumption that Off the grid must live under a bridge in another universe. Every KTM owner that reads his "tractor-like" KTM description is distancing themselves from this troll.

Sorry for the long post. It's practically takes a good trolling to respond to a good trolling.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #127
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
Nice backpedaling job with that Nuke.

Maybe they WOULD sell a lot more if they were crappy.
I nuked before I knew I had been quoted. I felt so Juvenile

Seemed like good mods to me. But I do more travel then running around the OHV park.

itsatdm screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 06:44 PM
Old 12-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #128
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
I like my KLR... even if it is underpowered.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #129
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfuture_yourdebt View Post
You be the judge: is Off the grid a orange kool-aid drinking KLR hating troll?

1st post in this thread:

Stephen King could foreshadow this twisted tale any better...

2nd post:

How many RFS engines have gone even 30k miles without replacing a single thing in the motor (or as KTM owners love to call it, "preventative maintenance" )? The "KLR miles check-in" thread and the disproportionate number of KTM horror stories to number of KTMs out there makes this troll's beliefs obvious for what they are, complete BS Obviously if you want an orange single with long-term maintenance even remotely comparable to a KLR, you're going to have to look for a LC4 and even owners of those bikes seem to do a lot of "preventative maintenance". But we all know the Euro bikes are dominating the dual sport market with their extremely high sales numbers somehow compared to the well established and going-nowhere Jap dual sport offerings, right!? What a joke. What he's trying to say here is "I'm an orange troll and my obsessions project outward and alter my perceptions of the market place such that they don't reflect reality at all".

His third post in this thread fell into rank like clockwork orange (pun intended):

His fourth post was another solid contribution to KTM egomania:

To think, all those satisfied big bore Stage II KLR owners are actually insane!?

Then he finally came all the way out from under the bridge with his 5th post:

6th post:

I wonder how many other KTM owners would dare describe their bikes as "tractor-like" if not simply for the fact that they wouldn't risk tainting their egos with any phrase that is so plainly associated with the KLR more so than any other bike out there. Such warped perception can only be explained by the presumption that Off the grid must live under a bridge in another universe. Every KTM owner that reads his "tractor-like" KTM description is distancing themselves from this troll.

Sorry for the long post. It's practically takes a good trolling to respond to a good trolling.
I know 2 Class A riders that I used to ride with in the NorthEast with 20k and 30k on their 02 520s that they purchased new in 02. Both are still on their original top ends. The 30k bike needed new intake valves. These are not slow riders like me, mind you, these guys flog their bikes mercilessly.

The bottom line is that almost everyone starts out in the dirt on a Japanese bike because that's what we grew up on, what we knew.

The game has changed. Euro bikes, and more specifically KTM, absolutely dominates the dual sport/enduro market.

Myself and 90% of the people I ride with started out the same....on XRRs, DRZs, etc and moved to KTM RFS bikes, Huskys, etc.

That's the evolution of the sport. Of the equipment. It's not debatable or open to my personal interpretation. It's fact. The Euros are currently producing much better bikes, and have been for over a decade now.

If you think otherwise, you are a Unabomber-esque recluse that rides an XR400 alone through fire roads. Because anyone that attends an organized ride, event, or ADV meet will see this.

Mind you, I have absolutely no issue with those that want to cling so desperately to the "old way" of heavy, antiquated Japanese bikes with teeth-rattling suspension and dangerous brakes.

Hell, I have zero brand loyalty. If the big 4 out East would put out something comparable, I would consider it, but they haven't. And won't. It's not in their corporate plan, and never was.

Lastly, understand that to me, it's just a hunk of fucking metal. Metal, rubber, plastic and fluids. It's not an image, or part of who I am. I want the best tool for the job, like many other people.

Why do I go out of my way to educate people? Because people DO buy KLRs and think they are going to ride cross-country and climb 20 degree hills without limitations. People tend to promote their brand like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I wouldn't recommend a Euro bike to a dirt n00b, and never have. But I certainly would not push a 360lb XR650L for someone who has dirt experience and is looking for a bike to do "20% road/80% dirt".

That happens here. More than you know.

Thus, education.

PS: If you are trying to get a rise out of me, you are going to have a do a shitload better than that, Scooter. I'm not new to ADV, and I'm certainly not new to the internet. Don't waste your time.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #130
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,481
Quote:
I nuked before I knew I had been quoted. I felt so Juvenile

Seemed like good mods to me. But I do more travel then running around the OHV park.
Ill give ya the seat, all mine have been swapped for aftermarket. Butt, thats nothing new for any bike

some electrons were mildly inconvenienced in the sending of this message
Old 12-06-2012, 12:36 AM   #131
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
and in production since 1984?
It's been around a fair while. One of the differences to the KLR is that is has been constantly refined, and then finally completely superseded by the 690.

For those that haven't seen this before, enjoy! Typical Aussie wind-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #132
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,379
If anyone bought a KLR thinking it's the latest and greatest flier then they didn't do any research at all.

I bought mine as a gravel-road bike although it's done some 1,000-mile days and I dropped it yesterday on some single-track that I'm sure other bikes would have cleared.

If I wanted to replace it with something that has better power-to-weight ratio, I'd still probably go Japanese. I'm not going 3-hours each way to Norway for KTM parts or even farther for the other European brands. I can get parts for any Japanese bike fairly close to home and in many rural areas.

I don't see anyone saying the KLR is the latest and greatest. I don't need the latest or greatest and many others don't either.

I have a visitor, I'm bailing out now.

EDIT: Back from having a visitor. There will always be a latest, greatest, fastest, and lightest. Get one and there will be different latest greatest. Declining to pursue that does not make anyone a "Unabomber-esque recluse"

Grinnin screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 09:17 AM
Old 12-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #133
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
It's been around a fair while. One of the differences to the KLR is that is has been constantly refined, and then finally completely superseded by the 690.

I would love to have this lc4, anybody know what it weighed? I have the light years 88-90 xr600r...but I would agree better off the showroom floor

however anybody know what these cost new versus the xr600 back in the day? the question always remains the same

$$$ vs. performance

cheers
Old 12-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #134
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf View Post

That is fully cool!!! Great ad.

In 1991 I had never even heard of a KTM, they didn't exist in my world.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #135
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,524
Quote:
First you have to define the sport. If it is a race, you win. My bike is more mule than thoroughbred. It will carry a lot of gear, including me through some remote areas. It gets over 200 miles to a tank on regular gas. It is pretty simple to work on. It will cruise at the speed limit with some reserve for passing. Suspension is not high tech but comfy, but I am not in a race.

I do know the difference between Hi tech and Low. I just chose to upgrade a low tech bike a little. This probabably makes 45hp at the wheel. I know if I wanted, 55hp is doable, just not as reliable. It has 11 and 12" of travel. I can flat foot it. At 75mph it is turning 5,500rpm so I expect it will outlast me. If it doesn't, I know how to rebuild it since I built in the first place.

When I joined ADV it was participate in some of the camaraderie apparent at the Rallies. Big bike, little bike, most rode them there. Not so much anymore. It is a rare KTM than does not arrive on a trailer or in the back of truck. Why is that? Nice house trailer BTW.

As you can probably tell, I am older than dirt. I am not comfortable turning a National Park into an off road race track. I happen to think you are missing something if you don't stop to smell the roses once in while. Riding like your hair is on fire and then watching the results on your computer via your video camera is not the same.
I'm right there with ya, mate.

I'm older than spit, ride like old people have sex....slow and sloppy.

And that rig isn't mine. It's a buddies. I might mooch a sleeping spot, (beats a tent when it's 40degrees at night) but this is how I show up to rides/events/rallies....
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Closed Thread