Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 658 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #27676
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,830
On the subject of the Browning HP:

I'm on my 3rd HP. Favorite handgun, hands down. Slim given the size of its magazine. Accurate & not at all finicky about ammo in my experience. Like everyone else says...fits my hand perfect, although I'll admit to installing a set of Hogue grips on my current HP (this one isn't going anywhere, either). I am not a big fan of the factory sights, so I had a set of AO Sight Sytems Big Dot tritium sights installed. Rear V notch sight, from post with a big arse dot. In low lght, these are the fastest, most natural sights I have ever shot with. AWESOME. My XD has them now, and my Millenium Pro will have something very similar soon.
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #27677
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
safer way,

Be kinda funny to let someone touch off several .45-70's and then, without telling them, give them the .17 and watch them flinch.
Good point, no need to be mean. Put a red dot on one and a blue dot on the other and give'em Neo's choice....

And tell 'em to hold on.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #27678
urbanXJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post

My full auto Colt M4 slung over my back while welding on the international boundary.
So, did you get a class III and a SOT to be a welder?

If you want to post or PM me details I would appretiate it.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #27679
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,488
A Little Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat View Post
Thanks for the DIY answers regarding home reblueing folks. Took a scothcbrite pad and knocked down the surface rust. Gun has no value to me (it was free....came with the wife) so I'll just keep it oiled.

Perhaps a bit too late now. If you use 0000 steel wool AND oil, you can usually polish off the rust and keep whatever blueing was still there. It can be surprising how much original finish remains on something that looks 'all rusted'.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #27680
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXJ View Post
So, did you get a class III and a SOT to be a welder?

If you want to post or PM me details I would appretiate it.

No tax stamp/class iii SOT needed, its an issued duty weapon.
But I have plenty of tax stamps for suppressors and SBRs

I'm one of the only certified welders available so they have me fix stuff all the time.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #27681
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,311
Quote:
No tax stamp/class iii SOT needed, its an issued duty weapon.
But I have plenty of tax stamps for suppressors and SBRs

I'm one of the only certified welders available so they have me fix stuff all the time.
Something I wish I could do....weld....I can stick two bits of metal together and the will not fall apart....but that does not make me a welder.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #27682
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Picked this up yesterday from a coworker... He was going to try and build one, then bought a house and decided he didn't need this anymore.

I already have another stripped lower I am building up. This set is so damn good looking I may just leave it as it is and never finish it. It will probably cost close to $2k to build this into a respectable rifle since you can't throw DPMS/Bushmaster stuff on a billet lower and have any self respect. This will be the 7th AR sitting in my safe... I may have a problem.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #27683
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Something I wish I could do....weld....I can stick two bits of metal together and the will not fall apart....but that does not make me a welder.

Take an intro class at the local college. I started out with mechanical engineering and taking 1 welding class a semester just to learn. Then 3 years later I realized that engineering wasn't gonna be my career choice so I switched to the business college and still continued my welding classes.

After 6 years of being a professional student the reality set in that I needed a career, not a job. So my career got kick started, and I had to drop out of college. Luckily 4 years later I got a small window of opportunity to work whatever schedule I wanted so I took summer classes, worked all night and finished my degree, in welding. Only took 10 years.

Welding is a great skill to have (especially TIG welding) and can make some good $$$.

back to the firearms:

Supressed Walther P22

Old 12-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #27684
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

While we're on the topic of guns and welding... I had the unfortunate problem of running out of room in my safe (refrigerator size) so I decided to build my own with some scrap I had laying around. Its mainly for storing cheaper firearms and bulk ammo.

6"x6"x1/4" tubing

Squared up the frame

Put in the shelves and expanded metal siding

Some hangers for a Mossburg 500 and AK-47

Then fabbed up a door, weld on hinges and some paint

Sorry if its a little off-topic, but hopefully the mods will forgive me since there are some pictures with a motorcycle wheel in the back and a few firearms.

RuggedExposure screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 10:09 AM
Old 12-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #27685
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,040
Quote:

Sorry if its a little off-topic, but hopefully the mods will forgive me since there are some pictures with a motorcycle wheel in the back and a few firearms.
Nice. Back when I was working as a QA inspector I did a lot of work in weld shops. They would sell me scrap cheap and I bought some 1/4 inch sheet to make a safe out of. It now sits in the garage as a tool safe. My recent welding hobby was to make shooting targets.

It's a skill I taught myself since the company I was working for was too cheap to have me trained in. So I felt real stupid telling guys with 20 years experience their weld was unacceptable when I couldn't even weld.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #27686
Phat
Banned

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
Perhaps a bit too late now. If you use 0000 steel wool AND oil, you can usually polish off the rust and keep whatever blueing was still there. It can be surprising how much original finish remains on something that looks 'all rusted'.

Bruce
Thanks Bruce but yea, a bit to late. No worries tho. I own a KLR650. I may just use a black magic marker on the Ruger
Phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:15 AM   #27687
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,488
Question Hicock45

WTF happened to UTube yesterday? Or was it something I did?
Someone posted a link to Hickok45 a while back, I have been working my way through the 700+ videos over the last couple of months. As of yesterday morning I could go to his 'channel' work my way back through the list (to where I left off) then watch an episode or three. There would be a 'filmstrip' of episodes, either above or below the actual video (it moved after you selected your second vid), and I could just go along and check them out sequentially. As of last evening I can't find that anymore. Now the vid ends and I get the screen with a dozen or so choices of other vids (many having NO apparent connection to what I was watching) but I have no way to know what the next one posted would be without going back to his channel and paging my way back to where I was, selecting the next and starting over.
Yes, I should get a life. I HAD been enjoying the various firearms that they put through their paces on the home range, not sure that I will spend 5 minutes to locate each one so that I can see them all now.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #27688
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat View Post
Thanks Bruce but yea, a bit to late. No worries tho. I own a KLR650. I may just use a black magic marker on the Ruger
Cold blue is neither expensive, nor difficult to apply as well.

Not that there is anything wrong with a sharpie repair - heck coat it with bed-liner.....that's a real KLR job.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #27689
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
WTF happened to UTube yesterday? Or was it something I did?
Someone posted a link to Hickok45 a while back, I have been working my way through the 700+ videos over the last couple of months. As of yesterday morning I could go to his 'channel' work my way back through the list (to where I left off) then watch an episode or three. There would be a 'filmstrip' of episodes, either above or below the actual video (it moved after you selected your second vid), and I could just go along and check them out sequentially. As of last evening I can't find that anymore. Now the vid ends and I get the screen with a dozen or so choices of other vids (many having NO apparent connection to what I was watching) but I have no way to know what the next one posted would be without going back to his channel and paging my way back to where I was, selecting the next and starting over.
Yes, I should get a life. I HAD been enjoying the various firearms that they put through their paces on the home range, not sure that I will spend 5 minutes to locate each one so that I can see them all now.

Bruce
Go to his channel and at the top left below his screenname click "browse videos" on the next page below that same tab click "playlists".

I don't think there's one of all of his videos, but they're on there. Just pick a subject and skim through.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #27690
ride4fun562
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
I want a little pistol mostly for home defense/some play time at the range, something with some good power but in a very small concealable package, no revolvers. What would you guys recommend ?
ride4fun562 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: