User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 05:25 AM   #1
early_911 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Seattle to Vegas ideas needed

Next year is my 40th so Im looking to do a big(ish) trip. I also want to get married half way in San Francisco (my girlfriend will be riding pilling) as well as making a trip to Laguna Seca to watch Moto GP.

Intend to fly in on the 6th July and fly out on the 27th July.

The Pacific Highway has always been something Ive fancied hence the idea of starting in Seattle and riding South ending in Las Vegas (ending here because major hub for flights back to the UK plus might be able to do Grand Canyon and a bit of Route 66).

Im from the UK, so unfortunately Im going to have to hire a bike. Not your typical ADV steed, but I fancy a HD Electra Glide (as this is definitely not something I would normally ride, and its the USA after all).

I dont necessarily want to stick religiously to the Pacific Coast Highway if something good to see isnt far off.

- Has anyone got any helpful suggestions of roads to ride and places to see?
- Renting is bike is looking very expensive (via Eaglerider) is it worth using them for peace of mind, or has anyone got any recommendations?

Other than booking a couple of hotels (in San Fran and near Laguna Seca), I havent booked anything else so want to absorbed as much as possible before properly planning.

Just looking for ideas really. Never been to the states . . . but at least we speak the same language (excuse typos before I get flamed down).

Phil
early_911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,956
Others can chime in, but my preference would be to take Hwy 97 south to Crater Lake OR and Klamath Falls. Then work your way west to Fort Bragg and take the PCH south to SF.

Leaving Laguna Seca I would head due west on Hwy 52. Work your way to hwy 108 into the gold country. Turn north on Hwy 49 a few miles to Columbia State Park (restored gold mining town) for lunch. Then south on hwy 49 to pick up hwy 120 to Yosemite, and over Tioga Pass. Maybe stay at the Awhanee Hotel in Yosemite if you can get in.

On the east side of the Sierras take 395 south to 120 east. Stay on that until you hit Hwy 95. Take 95 south into Las Vegas.

Once in Las Vegas I would ride to Zion National Park or Bryce Canyon NP. Then maybe lack to LV to fly.

I don't ride Harley's either, but I would rent one if that were my trip with my new bride as pillion. It'll be expensive, but when you're done you'll never even think about the money. Besides, you'll only do it once.

Congratulations!
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
early_911 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Wow ... The Awhanee hotel looks cool
early_911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by early_911 View Post
Wow ... The Awhanee hotel looks cool
Well thanks, but I grew up in The San Francisco Bay area and was a bit of an explorer. I've been gone 20 years, but the classic routes are what you want for a trip like yours. My offerings are pretty classic...My honeymoon route actually...1974

I couldn't call it the 'best of the west' because I love so much more of the west even better. But still, If I had one chance between Seattle and Vegas with MotoGP in the middle. That route is it.

Crater Lake; a day on the PCH; San Franciso; Laguna MotoGP; Yosemite; Tioga Pass, Vegas; Zion...

If I were in your shoes, I'd schedule Silverstone after that.

PS: if you want a couple of dining experiences in Carmel, I'd suggest -The Forge-in-the-Forest and Clint Eastwood's 'Mission Ranch'. Not San Francisco cuisine, but good and loaded with fond memories. Very special in the mid 80's when we lived in Monterey.

Pantah screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 02:40 PM
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
Leminkainen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
If you take 101 down the coast from Seattle, the olympics are awesome to see... and on the Cal/Oregon boarder is the Redwood forest.
Leminkainen is offline   Reply With Quote