http://www.maximum-velocity.com/kits.htm
thisflatearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #2597
Slimie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Boy_Slim View Post
What a great tradition. We have nothing like that in the UK. Where do you start with stuff like this do all the kids get given some wheels and a hunk of wood or do you have to source it all? Do the girls build cars too as there are plenty of competitive Dads with daughters too
Our local Cubs do it every year (East Devon), that's why I'm looking for tips!

They supply a block of pine, four wheels and pins to hold them and the rest is up to you.

-Simon
Slimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #2598
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 3,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Boy_Slim View Post
What a great tradition. We have nothing like that in the UK. Where do you start with stuff like this do all the kids get given some wheels and a hunk of wood or do you have to source it all? Do the girls build cars too as there are plenty of competitive Dads with daughters too
Just to add to the above our pack gives each boy a car, and then parents can buy one ($10 IIRC).

The pack we were in did something really cool and invited the girl scouts to our derby. So the GS each made their own cars as well.

Does the UK have Hobby Lobby? I've seen cars and all kinds of extras there. Cars, stickers, wheels, little dudes (drivers), fake engines, you name it.

Other than the wheels, everything else would be pretty easy to recreate on the cheap. Just need some pine wood blocks and nails.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #2599
Slimie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjydrafter View Post
Just to add to the above our pack gives each boy a car, and then parents can buy one ($10 IIRC).

The pack we were in did something really cool and invited the girl scouts to our derby. So the GS each made their own cars as well.

Does the UK have Hobby Lobby? I've seen cars and all kinds of extras there. Cars, stickers, wheels, little dudes (drivers), fake engines, you name it.

Other than the wheels, everything else would be pretty easy to recreate on the cheap. Just need some pine wood blocks and nails.
Our local Cubs sell the components to raise funds, my daughter is a Cub she didn't fit in any of the more girly groups!

We came almost last in the event this year, mostly because I followed the rules and let her do most of the work.

Next year will be different

Hobby Lobby, what's that?

-Simon
Slimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #2600
ADK
_____

Oddometer: 8,121
Laugh

Dads doing all the work and using these speed cheats ruins the event for the kids. there should be a supervised build where the kids do their own work and an open class for the cheater specials.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #2601
Anglewood
Has a fake Mustache

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisflatearth View Post
That's a great site for speed tips (I've used their basic speed kit before). The specific kit we use can be found here:

http://www.pinewoodderbycars.com/

The kit is only $3.45, and my fellow science teachers and I applied for a grant to supply kits to all of our 8th grade students. The work is all up to them and they can get very creative. I of course am available to help cut out and paint cars, but I encourage them to get as much help at home as they can. Here is a pic of the finalists from my five 8th grade classes:

-Connor
Anglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #2602
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,772
I love the Back to the Future Delorean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglewood View Post
That's a great site for speed tips (I've used their basic speed kit before). The specific kit we use can be found here:

http://www.pinewoodderbycars.com/

The kit is only $3.45, and my fellow science teachers and I applied for a grant to supply kits to all of our 8th grade students. The work is all up to them and they can get very creative. I of course am available to help cut out and paint cars, but I encourage them to get as much help at home as they can. Here is a pic of the finalists from my five 8th grade classes:

-Connor
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #2603
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,273
Projectile motion project for physics 111

This thing's been loads of fun. We built this to hurl anything from paintballs to smaller snowballs, but it can be scaled easily with a few tweaks. As of presentation time we were throwing paintballs 100 meters at about 30 meters/second with a 10 kilogram counterweight. The hook should hold around 40 kilograms, giving us a bit more punch. Might have to try the snowballs this weekend

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #2604
beyondhelp
likes cheese too.

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
Projectile motion project for physics 111

This thing's been loads of fun. We built this to hurl anything from paintballs to smaller snowballs, but it can be scaled easily with a few tweaks. As of presentation time we were throwing paintballs 100 meters at about 30 meters/second with a 10 kilogram counterweight. The hook should hold around 40 kilograms, giving us a bit more punch. Might have to try the snowballs this weekend
That's excellent. My daughter and I built a rubberband powered catapault for school a while ago. Wish i had pix, it was a beast. They never specified a limit to the number of rubber bands or power of the device. With a little twisting of about 50 wide rubber bands, the limit became the 3/8" allthread pivot and the 1" dowel for the arm. We built the base out of 2x4's and set it up so she could stand on the ends to anchor it while arming it. initial tests with golf balls yielded similar results to yours. *and some odd looks from the neighbors. We reduced the power considerably before taking it to school.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #2605
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondhelp View Post
That's excellent. My daughter and I built a rubberband powered catapault for school a while ago. Wish i had pix, it was a beast. They never specified a limit to the number of rubber bands or power of the device. With a little twisting of about 50 wide rubber bands, the limit became the 3/8" allthread pivot and the 1" dowel for the arm. We built the base out of 2x4's and set it up so she could stand on the ends to anchor it while arming it. initial tests with golf balls yielded similar results to yours. *and some odd looks from the neighbors. We reduced the power considerably before taking it to school.

Yeah, golf balls are on the list for sure. Our test range made that a little dangerous, but wide open spaces aren't far away. Think they'd give me shit at the driving range?

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #2606
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
I Made Daughter's Birthday Present.

2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:26 PM   #2607
Shoganai
Let's do some livin'

Oddometer: 1,760
One of my projects today...

New gauges for the 1996 K1100RS are no longer available.
This works fine, but it looks bad.

So I made a lens for it.

This is the first time I've ever done anything like this.

Pulled it apart.

Got a free "drop" from Lowes.

I shaped it a dermal then 200 grit followed by 600 grit sandpaper.

Put it back together.

Because the "drop" was 1/16" thicker, it wouldn't close as tightly as I wanted, so I first ran a bead of gel-super glue around it, then nested in a this gasket, then ran another bead of gel-super glue.

All done.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter "- Dr Seuss
Shoganai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:28 PM   #2608
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
That will make everybody say Wow

No offense to anybody but is been about three years since I check the G-Spot and it feels like a episode of "All my children" or even better like a Mexican photo Novelia that you can stop watching for a long time but at the end you don't miss much, Yes the protagonist and the nomenclature chance but the plot stays pretty much the same.

So shows us something radical, Something new, Something that keep spinning in your Head until you can not resist anymore to the point you need to make it happen since the object is not available anywhere at any price.

Thanks for participating from the bottom of my heart

Ps: Try to make this Post using visual aids like pictures of the objects or at least drawings that explain what it does and how it works as oppose to rhetorical pursues that lead nowhere.
I can't show you something I've made. You'd have to hear it.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:06 AM   #2609
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,028
*ppphhRRRTTTT*

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #2610
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai View Post
One of my projects today...

New gauges for the 1996 K1100RS are no longer available.
This works fine, but it looks bad.

So I made a lens for it.

This is the first time I've ever done anything like this.

Pulled it apart.

Got a free "drop" from Lowes.

I shaped it a dermal then 200 grit followed by 600 grit sandpaper.

Put it back together.

Because the "drop" was 1/16" thicker, it wouldn't close as tightly as I wanted, so I first ran a bead of gel-super glue around it, then nested in a this gasket, then ran another bead of gel-super glue.

All done.

Well done. Nothing like the new look.
I have fixed many instruments in my career. I usually get the glass cut at the local glass shop, they have all the right diamond tools and like to do my "odd" requests.
Recycle!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: