Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #8056
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Thanks guys, thats sort of what I thought as well. Does pretty much the same thing as it would on a car rim. Wasnt sure how wide our rims were VS a smaller duke or whatever, so i also wasnt sure if they just threw a tad wider of a tire on our rims, and the rims on our bikes were the same as the smaller dukes and whatnot.

preppypyro screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 11:46 AM
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #8057
angustoyou
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
The standard tyres sizes are not numbers plucked out of the air.

Worst mistake I made was fitting some sticky rubber to a bike before my annual biking holiday at the Isle of Man TT races. My tyre size wasn't made in the proper sticky ones, so I went up a size. Slowed the steering at all speeds, and damn near spat me off (and I guy I was riding that section with) when it started into a nasty weave on Quarry bends. It was absolutely hopeless at anything over a ton, and pretty useless at anything under. Ruined the riding bit of the holiday for me.

Taught me a lesson, that's for sure. Hope it helps someone else.
angustoyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:16 AM   #8058
doctor_big
It hurts when I fall down

Oddometer: 689
Just squeaked 260km / 156mi out of a tank. 36km of that was with the fuel light on. The bike then took 16l of gas, and the capacity is 17.5l so that's pretty damn good range. The most I've got out of a tank. Need I say that I'm running stock gearing?

Jason
Old 12-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #8059
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Not to many that offer bars in Carbon Fiber. Two mfg's that I know of. If you want an alloy bar you sure do have several more choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
You guys are kinda trapping yourselves into a couple different brands of hanebars, when in reality there are many, many more brands. ProTaper, Answer, Rental, just get a dirt bike magazine and check them out, probably at least 50 different bends for your viewing pleasure.
:
Just saying, don't limit your choices.
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #8060
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Oddometer: 314
Clutch Pull

Quick question: Is increased clutch pull stiffness after riding a while a sign that the Magura blood needs replacing or would it be something else?
Old 12-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #8061
gallinastrips
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Loe Vince pipe question. Just put new to me Leo Vince cans and Y pipe on, voltage regulator and shock spring are getting really hot to the touch! Anyone have problems with parts getting fried from to hot of aftermarket Y pipe? Stock has heat shield but Leo does not
Old 12-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #8062
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallinastrips View Post
Loe Vince pipe question. Just put new to me Leo Vince cans and Y pipe on, voltage regulator and shock spring are getting really hot to the touch! Anyone have problems with parts getting fried from to hot of aftermarket Y pipe? Stock has heat shield but Leo does not

Know of two guys running Leo stuff on SM's and others with unshielded pipes at that point, but haven't heard of RegRec getting smoked. Weld a nut onto the pipe, at a point where you could bolt up the stock shield again. Keeps ya from thinking about the problem, even if it turns out not to be one...

snowhawk jockey screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 02:28 PM
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #8063
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMoto View Post
Quick question: Is increased clutch pull stiffness after riding a while a sign that the Magura blood needs replacing or would it be something else?
Curious to see what the word is on this question! My understanding is that it is the opposite feeling, clutch going soft, but am here to learn! I was thinking I had some basket wear, but maybe it is just time for fresh blood?
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #8064
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
Curious to see what the word is on this question! My understanding is that it is the opposite feeling, clutch going soft, ...

That's what happened to me when mine failed. Logical when you think about it; fluid escaping past the oring.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #8065
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
That's what happened to me when mine failed. Logical when you think about it; fluid escaping past the oring.
I found an acceptable o-ring replacement at Ace Hardware and ran it for several hundred miles with no issue until i upgraded the slave cylinder. O-ring was just a few dollars and quick fix.
Thumper996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #8066
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

I've been through 2 VR's. Upgraded to a Rick's Mosfet VR and moved it to the LH side of the airbox.

http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/...dLVE05NTBTTVI=

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallinastrips View Post
Old 12-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #8067
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

May be time for a look at the clutch slave. You can simply unbolt it from the side of the engine without draining it to check for leaks. When's the last time you changed the fluid? The slave may be gummed up causing the increase in effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMoto View Post
Old 12-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #8068
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyMo View Post
I've been through 2 VR's. Upgraded to a Rick's Mosfet VR and moved it to the LH side of the airbox.

http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/...dLVE05NTBTTVI=

God damn your bike is clean
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #8069
angustoyou
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Takes about 10 minutes to flush new oil through the clutch. Try it and see. I change mine every oil change, while the oils draining out.
angustoyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #8070
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

With practice it takes 10 min. First time, I'd bet at least 30min, more if you haven't done hydraulic system bleeding before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angustoyou View Post
Takes about 10 minutes to flush new oil through the clutch. Try it and see. I change mine every oil change, while the oils draining out.