Pretty gawdy:

Phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #5297
bfd70
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
Have you started a thread yet for this??

I can do NYC, a range of places in the UK, and Moscow
The thread has been started in "Inmates." I hope I see a wrist shot from you all soon.
bfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #5298
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,901
I'll see if the watch comes near me on it's tour, I wouldn't mind taking it to work.
We're in the middle of a move, so I could potentially pick it up in S.E. Alaska or northern NV.

AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:24 AM   #5299
JBADV
searching for sanity

Oddometer: 3,401
I'm in if Vermont is on the list.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:31 AM   #5300
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prmurat View Post
Today's watch: Seiko Bullhead .... Circa -73??
Coolio.
The definite build year and month are in the first 2 digits of the serial number.
I've got the black/blue one, awaiting service now.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #5301
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
I suspect that's fairly typical for most Rolex owners.
Agree.....I waited ~12 years for my fist service on my sub. It still kept good time, but it was no longer holding a "charge" over night.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #5302
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDill View Post
Agree.....I waited ~12 years for my fist service on my sub. It still kept good time, but it was no longer holding a "charge" over night.
That would indicate that it's time for a cleaning and a lub job. May I ask - who did the work and what was the approximate cost?

I only had one serviced but I was lucky - there was a older local guy who was Rolex-trained. He actually had his shop affixed to his home and when I visited him, it was like stepping into a high-end repair facility. It was laboratory clean, there were several Rolex watches in-process of being repaired and all manner of equipment and machinery available for him. Clean, organized... impressive.

This location wasn't publicized and he was very security-conscience. I'll guarantee you that almost no one who drove by his house had no idea what it contained. His fee was about $400 for a full service and that was 15 years ago. I seem to recall it was higher to send it to a Rolex repair facility. I'm sure he's passed on by now. :it's a shame
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #5303
duc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Wicked

Quote:
That would indicate that it's time for a cleaning and a lub job. May I ask - who did the work and what was the approximate cost?

I only had one serviced but I was lucky - there was a older local guy who was Rolex-trained. He actually had his shop affixed to his home and when I visited him, it was like stepping into a high-end repair facility. It was laboratory clean, there were several Rolex watches in-process of being repaired and all manner of equipment and machinery available for him. Clean, organized... impressive.

This location wasn't publicized and he was very security-conscience. I'll guarantee you that almost no one who drove by his house had no idea what it contained. His fee was about $400 for a full service and that was 15 years ago. I seem to recall it was higher to send it to a Rolex repair facility. I'm sure he's passed on by now. :it's a shame
In August I had my Sub overhauled (after seven years) by Rolex, for $700. The peace of mind in knowing that the insides would not be cannabalized by a nefarious watchman was worth it. There is a guy like you describe in a town near me, but I just couldn't bring myself to let him work on it, even if he is Rolex trained, to save a couple hundred bucks on my watch (which I plan to wear forever and pass on to my son or grandson).
duc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #5304
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc View Post
In August I had my Sub overhauled (after seven years) by Rolex, for $700. The peace of mind in knowing that the insides would not be cannabalized by a nefarious watchman was worth it. There is a guy like you describe in a town near me, but I just couldn't bring myself to let him work on it, even if he is Rolex trained, to save a couple hundred bucks on my watch (which I plan to wear forever and pass on to my son or grandson).
I'm certain that a man who has built his reputation over many years in a city like Phoenix isn't going to risk his reputation and cannibalize a Rolex. He was known as the go-to person for repairs.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #5305
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,064
Quote:

I dropped it with Rolex of Toronto and let them take care of it. Lube was dried out, there were some adjustments needed and I believe one internal part. I also had them replace the bezel insert, which was scratched. It was almost $700 Canadian, but everything is ridiculously priced up here.....of course they appraised it at $8000 so, I KNOW their prices are out of whack...
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #5306
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Coolio.
The definite build year and month are in the first 2 digits of the serial number.
I've got the black/blue one, awaiting service now.
So it is a 68....
Prmurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #5307
Phat
Banned

Oddometer: 55
Another Gawdy watch. It's now worth twice what I gave for it.Wish I'd kept it in the box. Not available in the US market.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 12-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #5308
Phat
Banned

Oddometer: 55
My first nice watch. I was amazed at the Seiko commercial that showed this watch ticking off the seconds in one second increments. My Mom bought this for me for Christmas of 1975. Single Mom raising three kids. She passed away in March of this year. Gonna get this watch brought back to new condition if it costs me a year of pay.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #5309
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat View Post
My first nice watch. I was amazed at the Seiko commercial that showed this watch ticking off the seconds in one second increments. My Mom bought this for me for Christmas of 1975. Single Mom raising three kids. She passed away in March of this year. Gonna get this watch brought back to new condition if it costs me a year of pay.

'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #5310
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat View Post
Sorry for you loss....sounds like your mom did a great job.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: