Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
SantaFeTrailer OP
Stromtrooper

Oddometer: 307
Build Cambodian Style Tuk Tuk?

Freshly back from a great trip to Cambodia (and still fully jet lagged). I had been kicking around the idea of a small displacement hack for a while, thinking it might be fun for running the kids over to school, going downtown, other 1 mile/25 mph trips. Now TrailerWife has suggested that I build a Cambodian style tuk tuk instead.

These are different than the usual three wheel contraptions, in that they are actually trailers pulled by the ubiquitious Honda Dream 110's or Korean Dai Lem equivalents. I checked our MV reg's and don't really see anything on point. I would intentionally keep it low displacement in order to avoid excessive speed. Does anyone have thoughts on 1) legality, 2) construction?, 3) safety? I saw two different types of very home made moto attachment pivots (the "Phnom Penh" style and the "Siem Reap" style), but I think maybe a trailer ball and coupler might be a better way to go.

Link to pic, but I will host and post later:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...Q9QEwAg&dur=36

BTW, Cambodia drivers are nuts, and I only saw two accidents in 10 days there (one was a 10 wheeler sideways across the road).
SantaFeTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote