Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #2281
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev187 View Post
You might have a point

Just get the full liner and repace the jacket linder of my winter 3/4 length coat. As long as the Max can handle the load of this and the grips.
Mine had no trouble, and you could always turn it down to the same wattage as the vest and still get some heat on your arms.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #2282
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev187 View Post
Heated gear and how much drain can the MAX handle?

My 2009 Tmax already has Oxford Heated Grips on it. Their spec is
Source 12-volt DC
Current 4.0 amps
Watts 48 watts

I want to get a Gerbing Heated Vest, and Gerbing states their specs as
Source 12-volts DC
Current 4.5 amps
Watts 54 watts

Can the Max handle the Grips running as well as a heated vest plugged in? I am really good with bikes overall, have not messed too much with electrical stuff like this just yet. I do not want to damage anything and/or drain the battery while riding.

Thoughts and thanks!!!
Those continuous wattages assume that the grips are turned to max and that you run the Gerbings liner at maximum without a temperature controller.
I would not advise the latter, certainly.

Hope this helps.

John
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #2283
piedevant
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
[QUOTE
Originally Posted by kev187
You might have a point
Just get the full liner and repace the jacket linder of my winter 3/4 length coat. As long as the Max can handle the load of this and the grips.
=beemerphile;20076869]Mine had no trouble, and you could always turn it down to the same wattage as the vest and still get some heat on your arms.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I used a Gerbing heated jacket and Yamaha heated grips on my Mk2 2004 Tmax, and I've used a Gerbing jacket and heated gloves on my Mk3 Tmax, both with no problems. I reckon you could add the heated leg liners and socks too!
PNB in London, UK
piedevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #2284
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,269
I played hooky from work one day last week and took the Tmax asphalt dancing in the North Georgia mountains. It handles the twisties better than any motorcycle I have ridden in the last 40 years. And it is far more comfortable and has convenient, lockable storage that I use in ways I could not dream of on any of my previous motorcycles (including bringing my Nikon DSLR and a full set of lenses along for the ride). The Tmax got 58 mpg on that ride and when doing my post-ride cleanup, I noticed there are no chicken strips on the rear tire now - I am mightily impressed with this machine!
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:29 AM   #2285
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 5,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy View Post
I played hooky from work one day last week and took the Tmax asphalt dancing in the North Georgia mountains. It handles the twisties better than any motorcycle I have ridden in the last 40 years. And it is far more comfortable and has convenient, lockable storage that I use in ways I could not dream of on any of my previous motorcycles (including bringing my Nikon DSLR and a full set of lenses along for the ride). The Tmax got 58 mpg on that ride and when doing my post-ride cleanup, I noticed there are no chicken strips on the rear tire now - I am mightily impressed with this machine!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #2286
Sil80
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Greeting.....so glad to have chance upon this website.......I jsut took possession of a 2011 Tmax 500 for a steal and so far been loving the ride......after sorting out the fuel pump issue (oh well its more of a relay connected to the pump).

Am on page 57 and should finish reading the entire thread today..... Was wondering if anyone here can throw me a bone and send me a copy of the work shop manual to my email whyisadriel~@gmail.com (remove the ~)

Thks in advance...

I'm in the process of getting some leds tail and front signal lights .... will followup with pix and prices if anyone is keen....oh btw i'm in Sing_apore..........so things might be a little cheaper over here as there are a few accessories that trickle in from taiwan..................
Sil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #2287
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
SHAD seat on EBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Tmax-...sories&vxp=mtr
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #2288
Sil80
n00b

Think I'm late for the party...seems most have moved on to other bikes.....if anyone is still reading this thread any idea if the yamaha sport bikes' mirrors would fit the Tmax 500???
Old 12-07-2012, 05:35 AM   #2289
elamofo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil80 View Post
Think I'm late for the party...seems most have moved on to other bikes.....if anyone is still reading this thread any idea if the yamaha sport bikes' mirrors would fit the Tmax 500???
No idea about the mirrors but I just sent you an email.
elamofo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:26 AM   #2290
Sil80
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamofo View Post
No idea about the mirrors but I just sent you an email.

Oh ure a champ......great stufff ...will really help me out heaps.........
Old 12-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #2291
aqua1957
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Mirrors and Service Manual

I have a pair of nice sport mirrors and the service manual for the TMax if anyone is interested email me aqua1957@att.net
mirrors 50.00 and manual 30.00 plus shipping
aqua1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #2292
Aussiewingrider
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hi from Australia

Iam looking at someway of lowering the T Max i could do the seat but do not think that's going to do much. Is there a lowering kit out there? If someone has lowered the seat has it help and by how much.

I need to lower it about an 2 inches

johng
Aussiewingrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #2293
Sil80
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiewingrider View Post
Hi from Australia

Iam looking at someway of lowering the T Max i could do the seat but do not think that's going to do much. Is there a lowering kit out there? If someone has lowered the seat has it help and by how much.

johng
Hi, I'm new to the Tmax as well and I did read some guys shaving off the seat a little...not sure if you are able to shave off 2 Inches tho.....best bet is to find a upholstery guy and work with him to take off bit by bit...

Over here in Singapore, there are heaps of shops that do upholstery for bike seat so its easy....

Think this is the cheaper of the 2 option.....rather than changing the suspension....gd luck.

Sil80 screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 12:23 AM
Old 12-10-2012, 03:02 AM   #2294
piedevant
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiewingrider View Post
Hi from Australia

johng
Hi John, this is the radical solution adopted by my friend Colin Ferguson.
http://bikeweb.com/node/896
http://bikeweb.com/image/tid/74
I still intend to do the same with my old Mk2 2004 Tmax.
The inspiration for Colin's conversion was riding the ComFFortMax which was started by Royce Creasey in 2002 and completed by Andrew Gibbens in 2005:
http://bikeweb.com/image/tid/37
and Royce has since done a second ComFFortMax, based on a Mk3, for his brother, who has ridden it all over Europe.
http://bikeweb.com/node/2537
The Japanese have done lowering kits for Tmaxes, but the problem then, if you just lower the whole machine, is that you quickly run out of ground clearance in corners. Having scraped a Mk3 Tmax both sides, just, with the standard setup I certainly wouldn't want to lower it.
http://bikeweb.com/node/2318
In my view, Yamaha made a fundamental error in placing the fuel filler cap precisely where a 'short arse' wants to slide forward to in order to get his or her toes down onto terra firma. It has the second irritation of making it hard to use a 'scooter bag' because the bag is in the way every time you fill up. Nevertheless, I always use one, mainly to carry a padlock and chain. Yamaha (& BMW) should have done what Suzuki did with the Burgman 650 and put the fuel filler right out of the way on the side, car style.
(If anyone's interested my account of visiting the UK bike show at the NEC in Birmingham, by Tmax, can be read on line or downloaded for free as a PDF from www.theridersdigest.co.uk It mentions all the latest superscooters and includes pictures of the Roland Sands dirt track Tmax, the new Burgman 650 and er, my own Mk3, complete with home made screen extension and Givi scooterbag).
PNB in London, UK
piedevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #2295
Zephod
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thanks for the link to your article. I was curious about the Roland Sands Tmax and found the following set of images. Not your ordinary Tmax!

http://tinyurl.com/bcv5gkk
Zephod is offline   Reply With Quote