Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #16651
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
Here is my lisfranc injury that I am still recoverying from.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830324
Holy smokes! That's way worse that any of the other examples I've seen.

I probably don't have to tell you this, but make sure you see a good foot doctor for the rehab. My wife did a hairline fracture in Utah last fall. A good Dr. also diagnose lisfranc.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #16652
blaster11
Ecuador here we come

Oddometer: 6,502
Actually my recovery is going pretty well and I get the screws removed in about two weeks....should be back in a regular shoe in January and hopefully riding shortly thereafter. I have a good Doc!
Old 12-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #16653
lilsmokey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Hey all im getting myself a new bike this weekend. Its a 2002 DRZ400. Im new to DRZ's so i dont really know what to look out for. Does this era drz have any problems i should keep an eye out for? I need to know by saturday. Thanks for the help ya'll. I will get some pictures if and when i get it..
I ride a bullet. A 2 wheeled, multiple-explosion powered machine with enough moving parts to remove entire fingers. Surfaces hot enough to cook flesh. It propels me at neck-breaking, bone-snapping flesh-tearing speeds, over and trough obstacle's I can only see as blurs. Its a sport that kills the careless, maims the best, and spits at the concept of mercy.

lilsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #16654
oldhound59
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Front Suspension

HELP! I'd like to know if there is a difference in the front suspension on 400S say from 2002 to present. I'm embarking on a moto project and and want to use the front end of a DRZ 400S and would like to know how adjustable the forks are and if I should be looking at specific years to get the best setup. Hope that makes sense. According to the wife I rarely do.
oldhound59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #16655
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsmokey View Post
Hey all im getting myself a new bike this weekend. Its a 2002 DRZ400. Im new to DRZ's so i dont really know what to look out for. Does this era drz have any problems i should keep an eye out for? I need to know by saturday. Thanks for the help ya'll. I will get some pictures if and when i get it..
the only thing i have heard that was bad on the early year drz's is the automatic cam chain tensioner, but that is easily replaced for about 50 bucks with a manual cam chain tensioner.

if you post up some pics and details about the bike, maybe we can help you out some more.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #16656
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,811
Quote:
Normal wear & tear,cam chain tensioner make sure no noise coming out of that area, some prefer to have an ACCT (automatic version), check for leaks in front fork seals, i see ur located in CO, so u might wanna make sure it's jetted for elevation. The more mods it has, the merrier. Chain/sprockets condition?? check for any oil/fluid leaks after test ride. Batterie/electrics...
Old 12-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #16657
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhound59 View Post
HELP! I'd like to know if there is a difference in the front suspension on 400S say from 2002 to present.
I have always heard that the MY 2002 got the "E" suspension and has been unchanged ever since. But this is just what I've heard. Of course the SM has the USD forks.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #16658
lilsmokey
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
Normal wear & tear,cam chain tensioner make sure no noise coming out of that area, some prefer to have an ACCT (automatic version), check for leaks in front fork seals, i see ur located in CO, so u might wanna make sure it's jetted for elevation. The more mods it has, the merrier. Chain/sprockets condition?? check for any oil/fluid leaks after test ride. Batterie/electrics...
Only mods it has is are a Acerbis headlight and Renthal bars. I dont know how suzuki did the models on these but it is bare bones. No electric start. Regular forks (Not inverted). So what model would this be? I am going to check oil and everything. I got burned pretty bad on my last purchase for not knowing about the problems '84 XR500's had so I am trying to get some good hints for this bike. Thanks for the help!
I ride a bullet. A 2 wheeled, multiple-explosion powered machine with enough moving parts to remove entire fingers. Surfaces hot enough to cook flesh. It propels me at neck-breaking, bone-snapping flesh-tearing speeds, over and trough obstacle's I can only see as blurs. Its a sport that kills the careless, maims the best, and spits at the concept of mercy.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #16659
lilsmokey
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
the only thing i have heard that was bad on the early year drz's is the automatic cam chain tensioner, but that is easily replaced for about 50 bucks with a manual cam chain tensioner.

if you post up some pics and details about the bike, maybe we can help you out some more.
Sorry I dont know much about the bike.

Here are the pictures I got.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #16660
bkwags
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
2001 drz

Just bought a 2001 DRZ. Would like to upgrade a few things. Would like a taller handle bar, without re-cableing the whole front end. Also, the coolant overflow tank is busted and needs to be replaced. Also, some of the plastic could use replacing, if not now - eventually.

Any advice on Aftermarket taller bars and holding tank and plastic would be appreciated.

Thanks
BKWags
bkwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #16661
suguzzi
Greybeard

Oddometer: 37
Quote:

Looks to be a "e" model with the kick start and no rear sub frame.
suguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #16662
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwags View Post
Just bought a 2001 DRZ. Would like to upgrade a few things. Would like a taller handle bar, without re-cableing the whole front end. Also, the coolant overflow tank is busted and needs to be replaced. Also, some of the plastic could use replacing, if not now - eventually.

Any advice on Aftermarket taller bars and holding tank and plastic would be appreciated.

Thanks
BKWags
Rocky mountain ATV for plastic.

Factory for overflow bottle. It will just fit better.

Bars, lots of options. Research the different bends in the catalogs. Another option is to add bar risers. Check out Rox Risers. Get the ones with adaptors to accommodate fat bars if you don't want to replace the stock 7/8" bars now, but might sometime in the future.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:53 AM   #16663
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhound59 View Post
HELP! I'd like to know if there is a difference in the front suspension on 400S say from 2002 to present. I'm embarking on a moto project and and want to use the front end of a DRZ 400S and would like to know how adjustable the forks are and if I should be looking at specific years to get the best setup. Hope that makes sense. According to the wife I rarely do.
If you are starting on a project bike why not use USD RM forks? They are a lot stronger in every way than DRZ forks.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:11 AM   #16664
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
Quote:

Looks like a kicker to me. Hard to tell but I don't see a starter.

The S had different fork and shock up to 2001. 2002 it got the same same as the E front and back although the rear had a different spring weight. The forks were identical to the E.
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:51 AM   #16665
Ryel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Here is the list:
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/939...-common-maint/

If I recall 2002 was a transition year, check the top of the forks for an air bleed screw, the early years did not have as good of forks as the later bikes.
enjoy