Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #11251
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Thanks for letting me borrow those boots, Bob!

Craneguy...now there is a fashionista! Neutral, fall color tone, one piece jumpsuit and Depeche Mode fan gloss black helmet. Almost as shocking as listening to the Mystery Rider thinking out load that his jacket doesn't have the right tone of red to compliment his yellow paint during the harsh overhead light of mid-day.
At least my one piece doesn't scare the wild life like your gold spandex body-stocking. I don't even want to talk about your sling-back motorcycle boots!
Old 12-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #11252
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
[QUOTE=Turkeycreek;20162048]
Bacanora, by law, must be made in only certain municipios in Sonora. If it is made with palm, a bunch of sugar or other types of agave, it ain't bacanora. We had a big freeze 2 years ago and the amount of harvestable agave is way down so there is a lot of rot-gut hootch out there. But If you know the rancher who has the agave and if you know the mescalero who is cooking it, you will get a superior product. It is also good to be there when it is being made just to enjoy the process. We are seeing some good agave lately and I expect there will be some quality product coming in late January. I have some 3 year triple distilled left but not much, I'll save you a taste. [/QUO

Damn Tom, you mean we left some in that bottle? Can't have been much!

After leaving Los Arcos I went through the town of Bacanora - you have to admire a town that builds such an elaborate monument to its moonshiners...

Old 12-07-2012, 05:18 AM   #11253
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,121
Bob, I think there is a guy who is an actual lawyer here who can probably give you more insight, I recall seeing his posts from time to time.
Basically, the application for an amparo and it being granted, will give you time to begin protecting yourself and keep you out of the "formal prison" stage where you go to jail. Being held by a judicial force here is not the same as being sent to an actual penitentiary which is what you want to avoid, obviously. The problem happens when people have no automatic judicial representation through their insurance policy, then you are on your own to navigate the ins and outs of the system (emphasis on the outs rather than the ins) because you have no court appointed attorney like in the US etc... Without any effective representation you at the mercy or whims of the judges who can take a very long time to process your case. Meanwhile, you are cooling your heels. It will get more complicated with a vehicle impounded. It can also take awhile to get you any help at all from an embassy and if you don't speak Spanish or can't read it, the wait for translations will be mind numbing and unless someone outside is putting pressure on the authorities you are going to be getting no special treatment and you will be waiting a long time for things to move. The lawyers for the insurance company know the system. I can't stress this enough, but if you have ever seen how things actually work here, you would understand why. I know you can imagine it, but it is often far worse than you can imagine. You can spend 6 months to a year just waiting to be processed and in that case it is "formal prison" to the best of my knowledge. I haven't seen any exceptions. An amparo will not take away the charges against you, but it will keep you out of a penitentiary while you are awaiting your trial.
Oddly enough here, sometimes it isn't a question of money, in some instances that won't make any difference, but knowing a good lawyer or, better yet, a judge, will be your best bet.
A lot of Mexican riders carry zero insurance, believe it or not, but they are the ones who know that connections count.
They are in their country and willing to carry the risk. Personally, I would never ride without insurance and without my personal health insurance plan here. For me, it is like a maintenance cost for the bike, I just factor it in.
I don't think I am telling you much more than you already know, but maybe the guy who is the attorney can chime in if he is reading this.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:26 AM   #11254
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,367
Christmas is just over two weeks away,

At that time, for the first time, we won't be at home. Heading for warm waters and México.

The gang is on an expedition, in part to a cenote in the Yucatán. I've explained to them what a cenote is, and they all wanted to explore one for themselves.

They're starting to make a list for departure. The Yucatán mood around Casa Tricepilot is like this:

I'm intent on starting their own México addiction.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:46 AM   #11255
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

I took this photo in Creel, but this guy from Canada was hit by a drunk teen in Durango on a Sunday morning.

He cooled his heels in jail until sprung by his moto-insurance provided lawyer.

The teen was found guilty, and, in a touching twist of compassion, David went to bat for the family of the teen and kept him out of prison.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:01 AM   #11256
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Last year in Durango, in connection with the Mexico BMW rally, riders were returning to the city from a day trip when, tragically, a child ran into the street and was fatally struck by one of the bikes.

Insurance is sometimes a theoretical subject. But when something very bad happens, it's your net between the bridge and the water.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:23 AM   #11257
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
recurso de amparo OK I googled it, however could you provide an example of how this actually works
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

At that time, for the first time, we won't be at home. Heading for warm waters and México.

The gang is on an expedition, in part to a cenote in the Yucatán. I've explained to them what a cenote is, and they all wanted to explore one for themselves.

They're starting to make a list for departure. The Yucatán mood around Casa Tricepilot is like this:

Trice ., PENA NIETO was happy to hear you going to Mexico follow the link to a closer look of EL COMANDANTE SUPREMO

Bato screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 06:38 AM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:38 AM   #11258
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
Trice ., PENA NIETO was happy to hear you going to Mexico
Then I turn around a couple weeks later, and, by moto, return to México with los perros sucios

I think I'll have some moto shirts made up with that
Old 12-07-2012, 06:45 AM   #11259
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
I'll let you in on a secret. The President of México is actually Dave Koz

Old 12-07-2012, 06:51 AM   #11260
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 932
[QUOTE=dcstrom;20195268]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Bacanora, by law, must be made in only certain municipios in Sonora. If it is made with palm, a bunch of sugar or other types of agave, it ain't bacanora. We had a big freeze 2 years ago and the amount of harvestable agave is way down so there is a lot of rot-gut hootch out there. But If you know the rancher who has the agave and if you know the mescalero who is cooking it, you will get a superior product. It is also good to be there when it is being made just to enjoy the process. We are seeing some good agave lately and I expect there will be some quality product coming in late January. I have some 3 year triple distilled left but not much, I'll save you a taste. [/QUO

Damn Tom, you mean we left some in that bottle? Can't have been much!

After leaving Los Arcos I went through the town of Bacanora - you have to admire a town that builds such an elaborate monument to its moonshiners...

The town of Bacanora from the hillside to the east looks like a movie set. And yes, there was a smidge left in the bottle. I have to go Bacanora shopping this week.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:23 AM   #11261
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

I did some scuba diving in cenotes once. Easily one of the most exciting days of my life.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:27 AM   #11262
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Does anyone else think it's time for a Mexico meet-up? Yucatán sounds nice right now!

If we want MikeMike to come we'll all need to volunteer some luggage space... ;)
Old 12-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #11263
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Learned a new English expression yesterday:

That's the way the cookie crumbles
Old 12-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #11264
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Quote:
Learned a new English expression yesterday:

That's the way the cookie crumbles
Were you watching "Bruce Almighty"? :)
Old 12-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #11265
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
Were you watching "Bruce Almighty"? :)
you want to put me to work or what., who the heck is Bruce Almighty? I better go back to Mexico