Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 844 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #27691
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4fun562 View Post
I want a little pistol mostly for home defense/some play time at the range, something with some good power but in a very small concealable package, no revolvers. What would you guys recommend ?
.22 for the range, but about worthless for the house. Most would suggest 9mm as a good compromise. I carry a .380 or a .40, but the ammo is more expensive than 9mm.
What is your budget for the gun?
KeithinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #27692
ride4fun562
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Dont worry about a budget and id prefer a 9 already have a 22 , just looking for more of a recommendation on the manufacturer and model. I like the ppk but the .380 doesent have the put down power im wanting as i understand(correct me if im wrong , not an expert). I'm looking for something that can sit by my bed or be hidden in any little spot that will put someone down if i ever have to use it in that capacity. I have a shotgun but honestly im not going to be able to get it out,loaded and ready if i really ever need it so i want something thats easy to hide and have ready.
ride4fun562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:55 PM   #27693
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,506
Quote:
Dont worry about a budget and id prefer a 9 already have a 22 , just looking for more of a recommendation on the manufacturer and model. I like the ppk but the .380 doesent have the put down power im wanting as i understand(correct me if im wrong , not an expert). I'm looking for something that can sit by my bed or be hidden in any little spot that will put someone down if i ever have to use it in that capacity. I have a shotgun but honestly im not going to be able to get it out,loaded and ready if i really ever need it so i want something thats easy to hide and have ready.
CZ

75B or "duty", both full size but can carry.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #27694
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
there are tons of decent guns out there, and everyone has their favorite brand. it sounds like you want to keep it simple, which is a good instinct in this case. i think the major decision to need to make is if you want an external safety or not.

if not, i would start by looking at GLOCK. or the smith and wesson M&P series, or springfield XD.

but mainly GLOCK. because they always work, even if you never clean it or lubricate it.

let us know what you choose, and why.
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #27695
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,917
I like my XDM-40 (also avail in 9mm), but you're in Kalifornia , so you need something with a 10 round magazine. I kinda like the Ruger SR9C, rumored to have a nice trigger and it's 'permitted' in Kali.

The M&P Shield is a tiny little gun being rated well (internet info), but it's hard to find (too new and hot) and has 7 or 8 rd mags (9 or 40 I think).

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #27696
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,538
Quote:
I want a little pistol mostly for home defense/some play time at the range, something with some good power but in a very small concealable package, no revolvers. What would you guys recommend ?
Glock G27, Sub compact, .40 caliber Nuff said!
Old 12-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #27697
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,538
Just picked this up yesterday. It flew up from Texas to live in Ct.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #27698
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
Thumb Sig P 250

Quote:

Have you looked at the Sig P 250?

Very simple and straightforward. It is Double Action Only but that pull isn't the usual 9 - 12 pounds it is 6. No (manual) safety, changing weight of trigger pull or decocker to forget about while under stress. Your choice of caliber 9, 40 or 45 and your choice of size. The 'action module' can be removed from the 'frame', IT is the serial numbered part of the firearm so it can be swapped into another frame to change gun size without having to get another firearm. They sell caliber conversion kits so you can have a full size for range and home use and a compact or sub-compact to carry. I got mine as a compact in .45, holds 9+1 and retailed for $415. So far no complaints though I probably should have bought one with night sights but that is easily remedied as the conversion kits come with them and sell at the Sig Academy (30 miles away from home) for $235. I am thinking that this might actually be the gun that replaces my S&W Highway Patrolman as the bedside gun (for 35 years). I doubt that I will ever shoot it at the range as well as a 1911 but it drops plates well enough that I have no concerns about across the room in the middle of the night.
It may be that even their sub-compact isn't as small as you want for concealment but it would be worth a look.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225

Fire Escape screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 07:50 PM
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #27699
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,476
My new Rugers

I've put about 15 rounds through the Mini. The 1911 is still a virgin!
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #27700
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
Thumb That works

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Go to his channel and at the top left below his screenname click "browse videos" on the next page below that same tab click "playlists".

I don't think there's one of all of his videos, but they're on there. Just pick a subject and skim through.
Thank you!
That will work but ..... I was actually trying to watch them all ... it the order that they were posted. I had watched all the new ones over the last 5 or 6 weeks, then, since I am retired and have no life in between riding here in the summer and fishing in the keys over the winter it seemed like watching how they progressed would be a good idea. It worked for over 500 of them until something changed (or I changed something) yesterday.
I did finally find a way to 'do it', by 'stepping back' one video at a time I got to where I was. Only 120 videos to go (minus the newer ones), I just have to remember not to shut off my computer to avoid going though it again.

Thanks again!

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #27701
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,650
Quote:
Kimber Solo. http://www.kimberamerica.com/solo/solo-carry/solo-carry
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #27702
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Seal View Post
Just picked this up yesterday. It flew up from Texas to live in Ct.

Beautiful
Old 12-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #27703
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
not to start an oil brand type argument here, but if i was going to own just one handgun, and expect it to go bang every time, i wouldn't want to be a beta tester. i wouldn't want to try out a new design.

kimber makes some beautiful 1911s. they have lots of happy customers. but to make a motorcycle comparison, i would stick with the honda equivalent (glock, XD, M&P) in this case, not ducati (kimber, HK, walther, etc). reliability vs "performance".

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...ry-review.html

and

http://theprepared.com/content/view/90//administrator/
Old 12-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #27704
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,476
urbancowboy
If it HAS to go BANG every time......a good DA Revolver. S&W 686, or similar. No contest.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #27705
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
urbancowboy
If it HAS to go BANG every time......a good DA Revolver. S&W 686, or similar. No contest.
Lyle
i can't argue with that.

i should add, even with the most reliable semi-auto, you should replace the mags every few years. especially if you keep them loaded. or at least replace the mag springs.

only have one revolver, SW model 10. not a revolver guy. i've shot it, but haven't fallen in love with it yet.

are the internal hammer ones as reliable? (e.g. SW #640).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: