ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 232 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #6151
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
I just thought I would mention here that my new Montana, the 3rd one has absolutely NO movement in any way by the battery, it is as solid as a rock

I am not sure whether Garmin have changed anything but it would be nice to compare an older model with a newer one side by side, just to see if there has been a change or if it is just all in my mind
Old 12-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #6152
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
It would be nice if on the map screen when navigating and you select the triple bar menu option that the bottom option restore defaults was removed

I hate trying to use SETUP MAP and hitting RESTORE DEFAULTS it is a stupid place for it and should have a confirmation query before doing so at least
You might want to use a Shortcut to change the map settings instead of the Menu bar with its dangerously close "Reset All Settings" option.

If you go to Setup/Shortcuts and click the + Create Shortcut at the top, then Name it, choose an Icon like the Wrench and Screwdriver set, then use either, in the Setup/Map area, one of the options if what you need to do with the map is there (Orientation/Detail/Shaded Relief/Map Information), or instead choose Application, Setup or some other item which gives you the options you need to change.

Once you create the Shortcut go back to the Shortcut List screen, choose your shortcut, and Add to Menu, and choose Main Menu/Drawer or even better, Favorites.

Once it's in the Favorites, go back to Setup, System, Configure Power Key and in either the Single or Double Tap area, add Status Page to one of the options. Once you've done that, click your Power Button to get to the Status Page, and set its Dashboard to Favorites, and from then on you can just click the Power Button no matter what screen you're on, and the Shortcut will be there on the Status Page Favorites area.

This sounds complicated, and I may not have explained it too well, but it is worth experimenting with as it will be safer than the way you're currently using to change your map options.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #6153
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 734
I don't remember what page it's on but DrtByke Dan has set up a drop box with user profiles and shortcuts.
Even if you roll your own it's good to look at how someone else has set their's up.
Embeedee, I didn't see yours in the dropbox but if you don't mind, I'd love to take a look at your profiles and shortcuts since you're one of the power users.
thanks!

Here's the dropbox info from this thread, might be good to add to the Montana FAQs page

DROPBOX

We don't yet have any Profiles or Shortcuts posted other than mine. There are some nice Background images though. Here are the steps to get Dropbox access. Dropbox is a web server that allows you to keep info on the web and sync it with any all computers/mobile devices/ you wish to. In this case I set up an account and I am sharing that account with all Montana users who are interested. This is called a Shared Account and is use for groups to share information (files) with each other. If you add files, we all see them on our computer. If you delete files we all potentially have them deleted form our computer. So, some care is required since when you logon, the Montana Dropbox is like your own.
Dropbox install button is at following this link: www.dropbox.com
At the Dropbox webpage, follow the instructions to install Dropbox. After installation the application will show on your Menu Bar as a Blue Box.
Once you have Dropbox installed you can logon to the account that is setup as the Montana shared Dropbox (I'm sending you the Logon info via PM.
Once you have access to the Montana Dropbox you will see the Montana Config's folder. This is where we share Profiles/Shortcut's and Backgrounds. There is a README file in this folder. It will show you the naming convention for files placed in this folder.
If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #6154
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
I don't remember what page it's on but DrtByke Dan has set up a drop box with user profiles and shortcuts.
Even if you roll your own it's good to look at how someone else has set their's up.
Embeedee, I didn't see yours in the dropbox but if you don't mind, I'd love to take a look at your profiles and shortcuts since you're one of the power users.
thanks!
I'm already set up for Dropbox so I'll upload some of my stuff tomorrow. Profiles and Shortcuts are really not very complicated so it would be best for people to just try to set up a few, but I have no reason not to share mine.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #6155
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
You might want to use a Shortcut to change the map settings instead of the Menu bar with its dangerously close "Reset All Settings" option.

If you go to Setup/Shortcuts and click the + Create Shortcut at the top, then Name it, choose an Icon like the Wrench and Screwdriver set, then use either, in the Setup/Map area, one of the options if what you need to do with the map is there (Orientation/Detail/Shaded Relief/Map Information), or instead choose Application, Setup or some other item which gives you the options you need to change.

Once you create the Shortcut go back to the Shortcut List screen, choose your shortcut, and Add to Menu, and choose Main Menu/Drawer or even better, Favorites.

Once it's in the Favorites, go back to Setup, System, Configure Power Key and in either the Single or Double Tap area, add Status Page to one of the options. Once you've done that, click your Power Button to get to the Status Page, and set its Dashboard to Favorites, and from then on you can just click the Power Button no matter what screen you're on, and the Shortcut will be there on the Status Page Favorites area.

This sounds complicated, and I may not have explained it too well, but it is worth experimenting with as it will be safer than the way you're currently using to change your map options.
Hi Emmbeedee

Thanks for showing me this. I read it a few times to get it set in my head, and I did set it up, but it does not do what I want, can you try and see please?

The main thing I do with the map screen is change between Automotive mode and Track Up, very rarely North Up

So I do have a shortcut on my power button single tap screen, called Map Orientation. When I set the short cut up, I picked the car icon, NO profile(but I will experiment with this as I want it to do it in ALL profiles) Setup was MAP - Orientation and of course I selected Automotive.

When I try to use it by single tapping, it pops up the correct page with the Favourite bit at the top with my icon there called Map Orientation, I push on my shortcut and it takes me back to the map, but does not change it to Automotive.

I must be doing something wrong. I changed the Profile in Setup to Automotive and that did nothing either :(

***edit*** Well, it now works? No idea what happened except it did shut down on me when I changed some settings. The way I got it to work is by also selecting the MAP application.

But then just to double check I made another shortcut with the only thing actually set was in the SETUP menu, I selected Automotive and nothing else, and it worked too????? I am now confused, but for what it is worth, the short cut works, which should get me out of a jam

Thanks once again

Cheers from Vientiane
TravellingStrom

***edit 2*** Hmm, it just shut down again and when I booted it back up, the short cuts now don't work, something real weird is going on here!

TravellingStrom screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 09:37 PM
TravellingStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #6156
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Hi Emmbeedee

Thanks for showing me this. I read it a few times to get it set in my head, and I did set it up, but it does not do what I want, can you try and see please?

The main thing I do with the map screen is change between Automotive mode and Track Up, very rarely North Up

So I do have a shortcut on my power button single tap screen, called Map Orientation. When I set the short cut up, I picked the car icon, NO profile(but I will experiment with this as I want it to do it in ALL profiles) Setup was MAP - Orientation and of course I selected Automotive.

When I try to use it by single tapping, it pops up the correct page with the Favourite bit at the top with my icon there called Map Orientation, I push on my shortcut and it takes me back to the map, but does not change it to Automotive.

I must be doing something wrong. I changed the Profile in Setup to Automotive and that did nothing either :(
Just a quick observation - why not create a profile for each orientation, with a shortcut to the other profile on each screen?
Old 12-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #6157
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Just a quick observation - why not create a profile for each orientation, with a shortcut to the other profile on each screen?
Hi

Because sometimes I will be on a Geocaching profile and want to be in Automotive mode, to ride to the cache as far as I can, then get off the bike and be in Track Up mode to get to the actual cache.

I swap between Automotive, Geocache and Recreational quite a lot, and also change Map Orientation between each profile too, so those short cut procedures you outlined were a great idea

At this point in time, although they did work, they do not do so now?

Cheers
TS
Old 12-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #6158
guavadude
de-composer

Quote:
I'm already set up for Dropbox so I'll upload some of my stuff tomorrow. Profiles and Shortcuts are really not very complicated so it would be best for people to just try to set up a few, but I have no reason not to share mine.
It's not that easy either! More than anything it quickly let me load some shortcuts that I never would have even thought of like Dan's "find gas" shortcut. I might have to go back and fix links or tweak them but it's a great way to get ideas from the geniuses.
I'm still not totally sorted out on the shortcuts vs drawer vs favorites and what to put where.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:49 AM   #6159
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

I tried again but this time I used the Geocaching profile

I successfully made two short cuts which let me toggle between Track Up and Automotive mode. I tested this about ten times and it worked every time

I then shut it down and restarted and now they don't work

There is something strange ahappenin
Old 12-07-2012, 04:19 AM   #6160
Windrock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Can someone send me the PM with the Dropbox Info please.

Trail Machine: 2013 Polaris RzR 570 LE
Windrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:07 AM   #6161
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windrock View Post
Can someone send me the PM with the Dropbox Info please.
Yeah. I'd appreciate the same.
Best
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:35 AM   #6162
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
I'm heading out for the day so I'll have to upload tonight... No time now.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #6163
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,598
If anyone is just now signing up for Dropbox access, you could help a fellow inmate to get some more (much needed) space by using this link to sign up.

http://db.tt/DsAxJAr

By doing so, I'll get an extra 500MB of space for every user who signs up. It in no way affects the amount of space that the new user account receives.

I wanted to make sure this was said up front so there was no hint of deception.

Thanks to anyone who uses the link!
Old 12-07-2012, 08:28 AM   #6164
guavadude
de-composer

Quote:

I successfully made two short cuts which let me toggle between Track Up and Automotive mode. I tested this about ten times and it worked every time

In setups there's a pref for what profile is active when it's in each different mount. Check to make sure it didn't swap profiles on you.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #6165
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:

I have those exact shortcuts, labeled "2D" and "3D" - but have had no issues with them not working after rebooting.

Can you open the offending {shortcut name}.gsf file (located in your \Garmin\Shortcuts\ directory) with notepad, copy and paste that text here for inspection?

2D:
PHP Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><Shortcut><Settings><Icon>584</Icon><ProfileSettings><MapOrientation>1</MapOrientation></ProfileSettings><Application>4</Application></Settings></Shortcut>
3D:
PHP Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><Shortcut><Settings><Icon>584</Icon><ProfileSettings><MapOrientation>3</MapOrientation></ProfileSettings><Application>4</Application></Settings></Shortcut>
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote