Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 05:15 AM   #3661
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geology Rocks View Post
I have a disabled friend who is interested in this bike as he wants to start riding. I have a couple of questions that I am trying to get answered for him..

1) how is the seat height? He is short with short legs.
2) how does it feel weight wise?
3) He is disabled and has lost function of his left foot and has a prosthetic for his right. Can the brake pedal be relocated? I was thinking a brake lever on the left handlebar with lines run down from there.
4) being link braking is a relocation truly needed? How is the braking power?
5) how is the transmission? How is the 100% automatic mode?
Sounds like he would be better served with a scooter where neither foot is called upon. It is not a low bike and you don't say how short he is. This could add challenge to challenge. The bike is not light but carries its weight low and well. It feels 50 lbs. lighter than t is. The brakes are only lightly linked and only back to front, not front to back. You need both brake actuators. The auto trans is fine.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #3662
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,536
Left foot?
The shifter is there, not the brake, no?

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #3663
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Left foot?
The shifter is there, not the brake, no?
Left foot has no movement and his right is a fake. Left side of the bar has nothing, right has front brake. Right peg side has rear brake, left peg has nothing with automatic transmission. Thats why i wa wondering about a hand actuated rear brake like stunters use.

Sooter is something I will recommend. I know he wants a bike as his disability has never stopped him before.
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #3664
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Left foot has no movement and his right is a fake. Left side of the bar has nothing, right has front brake. Right peg side has rear brake, left peg has nothing with automatic transmission. Thats why i wa wondering about a hand actuated rear brake like stunters use.

Sooter is something I will recommend. I know he wants a bike as his disability has never stopped him before.
I have a DCT version and the left side handlebar has the parking brake lever assy.
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #3665
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer: 225
Quote:

Can you describe what type of riding he wants to do? I know a lot of people knock scooters, but (having just ridden one for the past year) I love them. If he just wants to learn about the sport, no matter what capabilities one has (physical disability to Olympic athletes) I'd always recommend starting smaller & cheaper then working your way up. Good thing about smaller bikes is that they are more forgiving to beginner mistakes, and with them being cheaper, you can usually get close to your money back for them when you want to/are ready to move up to a larger, more powerful bike.

We all want to bypass crawling and go straight to walking/running, but dropping a $2k scooter on it's side is a lot easier to stomach vs a $7-8k new bike. Just my $.02. I do applaud him for not letting his disability limit him!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #3666
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,536
+1 for Integra (even if he doesn't do scooters).

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #3667
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
+1 for Integra (even if he doesn't do scooters).
Meant to include in my post that my scooter was the SYM HD200. Unless he is planning on doing a ton of hwy riding, this scooter took my 6'1" 250lb body up to about 70mph with no problem. I bought a "new" 2008 model for $2500 and sold it a year later for $2200. Only reason I traded in for a bigger bike is that my new job has me going on interstate for about 60 miles, each way, a couple times a month and I didn't want to run WOT that much.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #3668
Fuzzy74
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Need to understand that maxi-scooters are not what most people think of with the term scooter. Engine sizes up to 800cc and speeds well over 100mph and come with comfort for all day riding. They are suitable for freeways or mountain twisties. BMW just came out with a couple great ones. Yamaha T-Max, Honda Silver Wing and Suzuki Bergman are all serious rides. Most modern scooters are automatic with rear brake by left hand. They will run with the big bikes most anywhere.

I have ridden 85,000 miles on a couple of MP3s. Few 2 wheel bikes can keep up with my 400 cc on twisty roads. It is a great ride but don't let the 2 front wheels lead one to think they won't fall over. They lean like any bike, are heavy. The front suspension can be locked only when stopped so no kick stand is needed.
Fuzzy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #3669
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,670
My TMax was a ton of fun. No duties for the feet.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:05 AM   #3670
rockydrxrvr
Multi Meter Meathead

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidl2n View Post
I've really enjoyed this monstrous thread, I gotta say. Especially all the modding and add-ons of Beemerphile. Really looking at this bike hard lately with a couple reservations: My current bike, a CB600 which I have loved and modified in minor ways over the last four years, has been turned into a little not-so-naked mini tourer. Other than being a bit beat up on the open slab due to basically no protection (except for an aftermarket Givi screen), I've been happy with it.

Then I realized I was lusting for something with a bit more range, maybe a little more power or protection, but at bargain basement, since I've only ever bought the three bikes owned used (Reflex, Buell Blast and the CB600). Toyed with the idea of getting a two cylinder Beemer 650 gs, but they seem dear and hard to find (and potentially a mechanical nightmare) and not meant to be a touring rig really even with a lot of modding, which I would do. There's a very good Honda shop up the road for when I need any heavy duty work (or I blow it). The only real competition for me at the moment is the Wee. But totally different machine (my indecision). But lots out there used for the patient, which I could be.

My only worry with the NC, is that I'll miss the HP on the SoCal freeway in and outa town, which, though I'm unmercifully buffeted on my hornet, has the oompah to get on past the crazies. But sorta unpleasant as it gets over about 70mph for any duration. Only considering the X, btw. I'm looking to retain the fun of the hornet in the twisties and sweepers, but have more comfort on the open road for some weekend/light touring. Looking to see if more touring is for me with more of a bike meant for it. And, a smaller bike appeals, as I'm a smaller person (hornet is just right, size wise). 5'5", 140lb, 32" inseam. I like to not be on my toes.

I have not had a chance to try either the DL or the NC, yet. Tried the Versys this summer and was disappointed at the engine feel. Way too shakey/vibratey, though it seemed to ride the rail on turns. Also tried the FZ6, which I sorta liked, but didn't improve range and wasn't quite upright enough for my ergos, though I did enjoy the engine by comparison.

Rowdymoose! You are exactly the person to give me your additional thoughts, as I see you have owned a Wee and live in SoCal. Any allaying of my HP fears as far as real world performance? I just like the "idea" and look of the adventure rigs (thus the Wee), but don't seriously think there's any more than a fire road or two in my future. The HP on my hornet is far higher and I worry a bit about being able to get around the wackos on the fwy.

Thanks for your perspective.

Blah, blah, blah, Tapatalk.
As a V-strom owner of both the 1000 and 650, it was time to move on after 10 years of Strom ownership. In my 60's and with only a couple of decades of riding left......, I want to experience something new upon opening the garage door and what I throw a leg over. I lived/camped on a Vstrom for a month riding in Canada and Alaska several years ago, and had no complaints with comfort and ridability.
V-stroms are not that good of a fire-road bike with stock suspension,....as even elevated 'water bars' in the road at a good clip seriously scrape the exhaust, or in my case the belly pan. I put a few more extras on my DR650, and will explore the Deserts of Az. as I start the 'Snowbird' exploring of retired life.

So, only 3 road bikes are tempting me at this time, A Harley XR1200X, a Triumph Scrambler, and go figure.....this new Honda NC700X. I am intruiged by the low and mid range torque, and heard rumors of the NC doing 60mph. at only 3,000 rpm. Is this true? I also am stroking the beard on how the NC mix of this torque and low center of gravity could be a handling smile maker.

rockydrxrvr screwed with this post 12-08-2012 at 05:25 AM
rockydrxrvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:32 AM   #3671
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydrxrvr View Post
...this new Honda NC700X. I am intruiged by the low and mid range torque, and heard rumors of the NC doing 60mph. at only 3,000 rpm. Is this true? I also am stroking the beard on how the NC mix of this torque and low center of gravity could be a handling smile maker.
You are not alone............
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:39 AM   #3672
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by showkey View Post
You are not alone............
I've said many times, this bike is as much fun to ride as any I've owned. After owning over 50 bikes (in 55 yrs) this is the first one that I can do a full lock turn in complete confidence.
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:41 AM   #3673
Kart22
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydrxrvr View Post
As a V-strom owner of both the 1000 and 650, it was time to move on after 10 years of Strom ownership. In my 60's and with only a couple of decades of riding left......, I want to experience something new upon opening the garage door and what I throw a leg over. I lived/camped on a Vstrom for a month riding in Canada and Alaska several years ago, and had no complaints with comfort and ridability.
V-stroms are not that good of a fire-road bike with stock suspension,....as even elevated 'water bars' in the road at a good clip seriously scrape the exhaust, or in my case the belly pan. I put a few more extras on my DR650, and will explore the Deserts of Az. as I start the 'Snowbird' exploring of retired life.

So, only 3 road bikes are tempting me at this time, A Harley XR1200X, a Triumph Scrambler, and go figure.....this new Honda NC700X. I am intruiged by the low and mid range torque, and heard rumors of the NC doing 60mph. at only 3,000 rpm. Is this true? I also am stroking the beard on how the NC mix of this torque and low center of gravity could be a handling smile maker.
Yes sir. I'm right about there. Hell, you could cruise in 6th at 30 mph if you wanted.
Kart22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:27 AM   #3674
cls
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 971
Now lighten it up, give it good suspension and brakes, and I'm (maybe) in. Economy doesn't have to be cheap. They're almost there...
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #3675
Kart22
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
Now lighten it up, give it good suspension and brakes, and I'm (maybe) in. Economy doesn't have to be cheap. They're almost there...
May I ask what is wrong with the current suspension? I live in Savannah and ride to Atlanta all the time and it soaks up all those damn splices on I-16.

I do wish I still had ABS though. Not that you need it all of the time but it's comforting to know that you can't lock up the tires and wipe out.
Kart22 is offline   Reply With Quote