Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 06:16 AM   #196
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonsorrow View Post
The reason I dont want a crossover line is becouse of some movie that circles around here of a BMW F800GS crashing becouse his front fender is launched off by some rock. The crossover line then grabbed into the front tire blocking it.

FYI, the reason that happened on that F800GS is because the front fender breaking loose pulled the brake line forward, causing it to snag on the knobby tire. You're right, the same thing could theoretically happen on the Tiger, but there's actually an easy solution, which I used when I rode the Trans-Lab in August.

You can see it here -- just pull the brake lines out from the bracket formed by the fender and run them outside of it. No tools required to do this, and if the fender does get ripped off and flung forward like on that F800GS, the brake line will stay where it is because it's not connected to the fender in any way.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #197
Moonsorrow
Jesus

Oddometer: 31
Sometimes the solution is just so simple that you dont even think about it! Thanks for sharing ;) . Also I will be raising the fender a bit, just a precaution.

Still, I'd prefer the single brakelines instead of all the twists the standard one has. Probably just have to find someone with a 955i and check their banjo bolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
FYI, the reason that happened on that F800GS is because the front fender breaking loose pulled the brake line forward, causing it to snag on the knobby tire. You're right, the same thing could theoretically happen on the Tiger, but there's actually an easy solution, which I used when I rode the Trans-Lab in August.

You can see it here -- just pull the brake lines out from the bracket formed by the fender and run them outside of it. No tools required to do this, and if the fender does get ripped off and flung forward like on that F800GS, the brake line will stay where it is because it's not connected to the fender in any way.
--mark
Moonsorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:42 AM   #198
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Personally, I think y'all are crazy for spending that much money on heated grips. Plus, I don't like the grips. I'll eventually install some that you can put whatever grips you want over the heating elements.
I still say my favorite accessaries are the handlebar risers & the LeoVince muffler with the arrow tune.
Personally I think spending money on a muffler for sound or power is way more crazy. You aren't getting enough more power to justify 10 bucks, and sound becomes only more annoying.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #199
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
+1. I'm a big fan of the Symtec grip heaters. Easy to install, the stock grips (or other grips of your choice) go right over them, they work great, and they're a fraction of the price of the Triumph ones.

--mark
I saw a pretty handy tip from a letter in the latest MCN. With the Symtecs or similar grip heaters, instead of taking the stock grips off and wrapping them on the bar, just put the heaters right on top of the grips and slide a pair of Grip Puppies on top. Then you don't have to deal with the metal from the handlebar sapping heat, the element is that much closer to your hand, and the install is that much easier.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #200
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Personally I think spending money on a muffler for sound or power is way more crazy. You aren't getting enough more power to justify 10 bucks, and sound becomes only more annoying.
An aftermarket exhaust is lower on my priority list than other modifications, but it's still appealing to me. Hearing a good exhaust note is part of the joy of the motorcycling experience, IMO. But yeah, I agree, it's spendy for just a change in sound and maybe a little HP. Especially so for the Arrow.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #201
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
But yeah, I agree, it's spendy for just a change in sound and maybe a little HP. Especially so for the Arrow.
For me the only reason to buy an aftermarket exhaust is if I can find one that is narrower and allows me to pull in the luggage rack / cases. But even there - a few hundred bucks for one inch saved isn't really worth it. Only if you plan to keep your bike looooooooooong, which I generally don't ...
Old 12-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #202
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,548
Well Mr.Cug, I bought my LV second hand for $200. That's cheaper than the heated grips. It does allow me to mount the Jesse pannier tighter to the bike & it's not any louder than the stock can. But, it sure sounds better & I like the arrow tune.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #203
cug
--

Quote:
Well Mr.Cug, I bought my LV second hand for $200. That's cheaper than the heated grips.
Yep. But it doesn't warm my hands while riding ...

And I couldn't care less about the sound or the thirsty Arrow map - range is too short as it is anyways.

Quote:
It does allow me to mount the Jesse pannier tighter to the bike
That's the only reason I might consider a Scorpion or so if I see one for cheap, but to get them about one inch in, $200 is still a lot of money. I have the Jesse cases, too, and unfortunately, they were not honest on their website. It's 37 inches width with aftermarket exhaust, not with OEM.

The cases are nice, but I think it will be my first and only time with Jesse cases.

Next time I'll go with Touratech directly from Germany. At least I can mount them on any single Touratech rack.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #204
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,548
I only use the Jesse boxes for multi-day rides. I can't get used to having a wide bike. I squeeze thru tight areas all the time. I just feel like I might as well be in a cage. When I'm using the panniers, I have to constantly remind myself "wide load, wide load". I recently removed the racks to weigh the XC & have not put them back on again. I'll get around to weighing it soon & post up what it weighs. The first time, I had a full tank of gas, racks, guards, highway pegs, stock can, ect...

Old 12-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #205
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Quote:
For me the only reason to buy an aftermarket exhaust is if I can find one that is narrower and allows me to pull in the luggage rack / cases. But even there - a few hundred bucks for one inch saved isn't really worth it. Only if you plan to keep your bike looooooooooong, which I generally don't ...
Personally, the only reason I would look at an aftermarket pipe is for decent weight savings as long as it doesn't change the performance. The stock can is a little on the heavy side. I could care less about the sound.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #206
cug
--

Quote:
I only use the Jesse boxes for multi-day rides.
Same here. They are wide ... I had a 32.5" setup on my R1200GS that I had before which was much, much better than the about 38" I have right now. As said, maybe I'll get a smaller can just for the 1" on the right side, but I also might not.

We'll see. Next time and on the next bike, I'll get a better and narrower luggage setup.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #207
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Personally, the only reason I would look at an aftermarket pipe is for decent weight savings as long as it doesn't change the performance.
Yeah. That I hear a lot. And then (don't take it personal, I don't know how you look like) a 5'10" 250lbs guy gets on the bike ...

There isn't much I can loose on my frame (currently 6', 152lbs, runner and climber), so I might get something out of this, but again likely not enough to justify the expense.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #208
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Quote:
Yeah. That I hear a lot. And then (don't take it personal, I don't know how you look like) a 5'10" 250lbs guy gets on the bike ...

There isn't much I can loose on my frame (currently 6', 152lbs, runner and climber), so I might get something out of this, but again likely not enough to justify the expense.
5'9 170 lbs. Not looking to shave ounces. I talking a pound or so. Just for the off road rides. The stock pipe is pretty large to the eye as well.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #209
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
The stock pipe is pretty large to the eye as well.
I don't disagree. For me it's just not worth the money. You're shaving what, four pounds or so from a 500+ pound bike (including crashbars, farkles) ... not even worth thinking about it. That's under 1% ...
Old 12-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #210
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,145
the one and only reason I went for aftermarket pipe is to build my symmetric pannier racks and fit width with boxes into 85 cm of handlebar width. I measured many times and with stock pipe it was impossible.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote