Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 266 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #26431
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Shifters,
Modolo. Sez so right on the left shifter body.

I did 3:23 on the mtn bike today. B was riding his fixed gear so I tried to keep it in roughly the same gear he was in. Tough when he's on a 29er and I'm not. I was either half a gear too low or half a gear too high. Legs are toast. Again.

Getting ready to ride my brand spankin new HTC One X fell out of my pocket. Guess who's got a no-longer-brand-spankin-new phone? You know... the one with all the glass on the front that's now shattered! Yeah. Fun stuff.

M
Old 12-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #26432
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
I spend a lot of time in the big ring(When I'm fit), but think I'm pretty good at selecting the right ratio. Maybe some of the teeth are supposed to be pre curved for shifting or something, because overall it looks pretty good. It certainly shifts like buttah. Chains are easier to find anyway...
Some teeth are shaped different than others, to help pull the chain up onto the big ring. I doubt they're actually hooked, but, probably machined/twisted. Look to see if those oddball teeth are located adjacent to the pins/ramps on the backside of the big ring. If so, then, you know they're supposed to be shaped that way.

Notice the shape of those teeth by the pins and ramps?
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #26433
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Some teeth are shaped different than others, to help pull the chain up onto the big ring. I doubt they're actually hooked, but, probably machined/twisted. Look to see if those oddball teeth are located adjacent to the pins/ramps on the backside of the big ring. If so, then, you know they're supposed to be shaped that way.

Notice the shape of those teeth by the pins and ramps?
also note there's a few variations on this theme, depending on who made the crankset/chainrings and when.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #26434
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,457
I took a better look, and there is plenty of meat on the teeth. I replace chains every 3-4,000 miles, so it's not a worn chain that would be doing it. I'll ride a few thousand more, then check it out. I'd still like to find a spare ring, just to have it ready. 7700 stuff is getting scarce.
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #26435
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
I don't remember the names, geez its been like 30 years, but the glue I used was like a rubber cement and stayed sticky/rubbery, while the other was red and dried to a fairly hard crust. the red stuff was better for hot inland conditions, but in cool coastal California I usually used the rubbery kind as you could slap a spare on the rim without regluing on the side of the road, as long as you took it easy on the turns. There was a different glue we used to glue the rim tape to the carcass.

I quit running tubulars when A) I was spending more time on my first generation mountain bike, and B) the clement factory had a big fire or something, and their classic setas became unobtanium. I'm reading now that Pirelli had bought them, and moved their production to Thailand, whihc no doubt contributed to their oblivion, but someone recently acquired the rights to the name, and is makign Clement tires again... in Thailand :-/
Clement tires made in Thailand... Wtf. I used Clement and Tubasti-- anyone remember that stuff? Everyone called it tubastige but it did a good job. I just thought Clement left a better base for changing a tire on the road and a better base for future installs.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #26436
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

There's been a few studies done over the years on tubular glue. Vittoria Mastik 1 always tops the list with Conti's glue coming in a close second.

Buddy of mine gave me a pot of the Vittoria glue before the season started. I've already used half of it!

No weenie little tubes for THIS cyclocrosser!

M
Old 12-08-2012, 05:37 AM   #26437
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Cross racing ON NOW

M
Old 12-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #26438
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,314
I'm not really digging the FSA crankset for a number of reasons. But I'm not terrible fond of the Dura-Ace crankset, either.

Can a person fit-- if he can find-- a 10 speed Campagnolo crankset to a Dura Ace 7900 gruppo?

What about a Campagnolo 11 speed crankset?

If it's more of a hassle than it's worth I will simply buy a Dura Ace crankset and get on with it, save the Campagnolo for the next build.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #26439
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
"Gummee!" just for you. And, another.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:29 AM   #26440
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
I'm not really digging the FSA crankset for a number of reasons. But I'm not terrible fond of the Dura-Ace crankset, either.

Can a person fit-- if he can find-- a 10 speed Campagnolo crankset to a Dura Ace 7900 gruppo?

What about a Campagnolo 11 speed crankset?

If it's more of a hassle than it's worth I will simply buy a Dura Ace crankset and get on with it, save the Campagnolo for the next build.
Cranks are cranks are cranks. Run whatever it is you want.

IOW the chain don't care whether its running on Campag or Shimano or SRAM rings. You *may* have to adjust your front der. but that's a minor thing comparatively.

Now, if you're running BB30, Shimano don't make any and I don't remember off the top of the head whether Campag does either.

You're better off with something like the C-dale cranks or something that don't require an adaptor.

HTH

M
Old 12-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #26441
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Watched those last year. Looks like fun, but Ed Sanders has been rescheduled to the same weekend and is MUCH much closer.

Headed to Luray tomorrow. Last race of the season is Ed Sanders next weekend. I signed up early and got a good starting spot at Ed Sanders. I ain't gonna miss it!

M
Old 12-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #26442
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,022
so I just mounted some Vittoria Hyper Randonneur tires on my hybrid, in 700x32. test ride around driveway says, SWEET. highly reflective stripe on sidewalls, which I think is a great feature for any tire used on the road. they went on my rims rather easily, no hassles at all stretching them over the rims, unlike the last couple Continental Gators I've mounted (admittedly on a completely different bike).

these replaced the servicable but rather leaden Specialized Nimbus that came on the bike in 700x35.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #26443
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Well that sucked out loud. Luray CX = DNF

Got about a third of a lap in on the greasy, muddy lots of off-camber corner course, hit a course marking pole, endo-ed, hit on my left side (wrist, elbow, then head) and somehow ended up with my chainring prints and a hole in the skin on my left shin.

It was at that point that I said 'screw this.'

Rode all but the start/finish hill and pulled off the course. Brain wasn't in it any more and JRA on a cross course isn't my idea of a good time. Especially when traction is at a premium.

The goal of the day was 'work on my starts.' Didn't even do that properly.

Next weekend is the last race of my season. One DNF is one too many, but if I can learn something from this, I'm still ahead of the game.

In that regard: Mud tires. No matter what they say Conti 'Mud' tires aren't. I was also told they need to be run at super-low pressures to get the best traction. Inadvertently, I'd been doing just that. Today? More pressure. Co-inky-dink?

Don't do a big week mileage-wise before racing on Sunday and expect to do well. Along the same lines, if you're supposed to be on a rest week, take the damn rest week. Don't push on just cause its 70 and sunny in Dec. (Prolly won't listen to this one, but it needs to be said)

Pre-ride the course better. Easy lap. Hard lap. It does make a difference. IOW get to the race earlier.

M
Old 12-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #26444
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,152
I have never had any luck with conti's. I think they suck.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #26445
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
I have never had any luck with conti's. I think they suck.
Conti Mud aka Grifo 2 do fairly well in everything but but mud. Keep the pressures low

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: