ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 506 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #26311
zouch
part-time wanderer
 
zouch's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: berkeley, CA USA
Oddometer: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Clement was my favourite at home and in the shop. I never had or knew of one that failed, but I know it can happen. You needed to be like Merckx and dump water on your tires as you descended!


When I was at the US Olympic Training Center in about 1989, they used a 3M product which I think was used for automotive trim--- somethingbond. It did fail more than once and the one time I was able to see the tubi afterward the adhesive had failed cleanly, staying with the tire but none of it remained on the rim.
i tried Fastak when it was the craze back then, but it didn't seem like it did as good of a job holding more than just the rim tape on, and didn't leave much stickiness available for the rare occasion that i had a flat and needed to swap in a pre-glued spare,... i never rolled a sew-up, but a housemate of mine did, and i didn't want to wait until it happened to me.

once i discovered Continentals and the matching Conti glue, the only other flat i ever had was due to a wood screw i picked up in a sidewall that no tire would have survived. (this sucker actually dinged a chainstay as it turned past it.)
Contis weren't cheap, but they rode like they were made for a God (which i certainly wasn't, though i appreciated the ride!). after using them for a while i had so much confidence in them that i wouldn't change them out until i saw cord, even if they looked like cheese graters.
__________________
just a guy...

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #26312
zouch
part-time wanderer
 
zouch's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: berkeley, CA USA
Oddometer: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
That is amazing. I just have a mountain bike, and it certainly is geared pretty low. Going down a hill in the lowest gear and pedaling as fast as my 59 year old legs could go, I hit 26+ mph according to my bike computer. I only ever use the 7 highest gears, and where I ride I never even have to stand up going up the long, but not too steep hills. When I wear out the sprockets and chain, maybe I'll go to different gearing for some more speed.
i think you might have your hi/lo gearing mixed up; just like on a motor vehicle, lo gears to go up hill, high gears coming down.

nonetheless, don't expect to see as high a speed descending on a MTB as you would on a proper road bike; the fatter/chunkier tires, flat bar and upright riding position are all working against you in wind and rolling resistance.

much to the chagrin o' many a squid, on a good road-racing bike on a steep twisty descent, i'm likely to be able to keep up with and pass sport motos, mostly due to the ability to brake harder and later before turns. knowing this always spooks me when i'm working Moto Ham at an event, since i'm fully aware of how fast a road bike can actually corner, and how hard it actually is to stay out of the way.
__________________
just a guy...

'02 GS Adv

zouch screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 12:43 PM Reason: cuz' i just can't spell until after i've hit send,...
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #26313
rbrsddn
3banger
 
rbrsddn's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Madison,CT
Oddometer: 2,838
Da 7700 b 53t

Kinda off topic, but I just slapped a new chain on the skinny bike, and noticed the 53 T ring was a bit hooked. I have DA 7700 cranks that are still in good shape, except the clear coat has cracked in places. I replaced the rings 3 or 4 years ago, and need the big again. Does anyone have one, or know anyone that does? TIA!
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #26314
zouch
part-time wanderer
 
zouch's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: berkeley, CA USA
Oddometer: 1,689
haven't got one, but am curious why you'd be wearing out the 53 so relatively fast; spending too much time on the 53t while on the large [edit: not "small", doh!] cog(s)?


Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
Kinda off topic, but I just slapped a new chain on the skinny bike, and noticed the 53 T ring was a bit hooked. I have DA 7700 cranks that are still in good shape, except the clear coat has cracked in places. I replaced the rings 3 or 4 years ago, and need the big again. Does anyone have one, or know anyone that does? TIA!
__________________
just a guy...

'02 GS Adv

zouch screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 01:06 PM
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #26315
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Clement was my favourite at home and in the shop. I never had or knew of one that failed, but I know it can happen. You needed to be like Merckx and dump water on your tires as you descended!


When I was at the US Olympic Training Center in about 1989, they used a 3M product which I think was used for automotive trim--- somethingbond. It did fail more than once and the one time I was able to see the tubi afterward the adhesive had failed cleanly, staying with the tire but none of it remained on the rim.
I don't remember the names, geez its been like 30 years, but the glue I used was like a rubber cement and stayed sticky/rubbery, while the other was red and dried to a fairly hard crust. the red stuff was better for hot inland conditions, but in cool coastal California I usually used the rubbery kind as you could slap a spare on the rim without regluing on the side of the road, as long as you took it easy on the turns. There was a different glue we used to glue the rim tape to the carcass.

I quit running tubulars when A) I was spending more time on my first generation mountain bike, and B) the clement factory had a big fire or something, and their classic setas became unobtanium. I'm reading now that Pirelli had bought them, and moved their production to Thailand, whihc no doubt contributed to their oblivion, but someone recently acquired the rights to the name, and is makign Clement tires again... in Thailand :-/
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #26316
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
haven't got one, but am curious why you'd be wearing out the 53 so relatively fast; spending too much time on the 53t while on the small cog(s)?
isn't the big ring where you BELONG when you're on the small rear cogs? its small+small (and big+big) that you want to avoid.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #26317
rbrsddn
3banger
 
rbrsddn's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Madison,CT
Oddometer: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
haven't got one, but am curious why you'd be wearing out the 53 so relatively fast; spending too much time on the 53t while on the small cog(s)?

I spend a lot of time in the big ring(When I'm fit), but think I'm pretty good at selecting the right ratio. Maybe some of the teeth are supposed to be pre curved for shifting or something, because overall it looks pretty good. It certainly shifts like buttah. Chains are easier to find anyway...
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #26318
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 7,828
Shifters,
__________________
...Dick
"You don't go to Mongolia for the food." - Sebastian & Kim
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #26319
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Shifters,
Modolo. Sez so right on the left shifter body.

I did 3:23 on the mtn bike today. B was riding his fixed gear so I tried to keep it in roughly the same gear he was in. Tough when he's on a 29er and I'm not. I was either half a gear too low or half a gear too high. Legs are toast. Again.

Getting ready to ride my brand spankin new HTC One X fell out of my pocket. Guess who's got a no-longer-brand-spankin-new phone? You know... the one with all the glass on the front that's now shattered! Yeah. Fun stuff.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #26320
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
I spend a lot of time in the big ring(When I'm fit), but think I'm pretty good at selecting the right ratio. Maybe some of the teeth are supposed to be pre curved for shifting or something, because overall it looks pretty good. It certainly shifts like buttah. Chains are easier to find anyway...
Some teeth are shaped different than others, to help pull the chain up onto the big ring. I doubt they're actually hooked, but, probably machined/twisted. Look to see if those oddball teeth are located adjacent to the pins/ramps on the backside of the big ring. If so, then, you know they're supposed to be shaped that way.

Notice the shape of those teeth by the pins and ramps?
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #26321
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Some teeth are shaped different than others, to help pull the chain up onto the big ring. I doubt they're actually hooked, but, probably machined/twisted. Look to see if those oddball teeth are located adjacent to the pins/ramps on the backside of the big ring. If so, then, you know they're supposed to be shaped that way.

Notice the shape of those teeth by the pins and ramps?
also note there's a few variations on this theme, depending on who made the crankset/chainrings and when.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #26322
rbrsddn
3banger
 
rbrsddn's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Madison,CT
Oddometer: 2,838
I took a better look, and there is plenty of meat on the teeth. I replace chains every 3-4,000 miles, so it's not a worn chain that would be doing it. I'll ride a few thousand more, then check it out. I'd still like to find a spare ring, just to have it ready. 7700 stuff is getting scarce.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #26323
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon
 
Schlug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: put something on and stay in that position.
Oddometer: 7,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
I don't remember the names, geez its been like 30 years, but the glue I used was like a rubber cement and stayed sticky/rubbery, while the other was red and dried to a fairly hard crust. the red stuff was better for hot inland conditions, but in cool coastal California I usually used the rubbery kind as you could slap a spare on the rim without regluing on the side of the road, as long as you took it easy on the turns. There was a different glue we used to glue the rim tape to the carcass.

I quit running tubulars when A) I was spending more time on my first generation mountain bike, and B) the clement factory had a big fire or something, and their classic setas became unobtanium. I'm reading now that Pirelli had bought them, and moved their production to Thailand, whihc no doubt contributed to their oblivion, but someone recently acquired the rights to the name, and is makign Clement tires again... in Thailand :-/
Clement tires made in Thailand... Wtf. I used Clement and Tubasti-- anyone remember that stuff? Everyone called it tubastige but it did a good job. I just thought Clement left a better base for changing a tire on the road and a better base for future installs.
__________________
"So what makes this protest different is that you're set to die, Bobby?"
--May well come to that.
"You start a hunger strike to protest for what you believe in. You don't start already determined to die or am I missing somethin' here?"
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #26324
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,820
There's been a few studies done over the years on tubular glue. Vittoria Mastik 1 always tops the list with Conti's glue coming in a close second.

Buddy of mine gave me a pot of the Vittoria glue before the season started. I've already used half of it!



No weenie little tubes for THIS cyclocrosser!

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:37 AM   #26325
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,820
Cross racing ON NOW

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015