Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #49801
ShooterDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post

All day? Sure.

There are a bunch of different seats available. Was SHOOTERDAVE on a stock seat???

A fifty state tour would be a bit much. That tour on a XRL is too much for me also.

You started this tangent..

Yes I was on a stock seat. Well mostly. I cut an inch out and added an inch of that foam you can get as a kneeling pad for gardening. I also made it a little wider. Granted I ended up sitting further forward than the part I made wider so go figure. However I would totally get a different seat if I got that bike, but I'd never get that bike.

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #49802
ShooterDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Yes he was. But he doesn't have any ass.

Or buns of steel.

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #49803
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultz! View Post
Depended on the department, I had a extremely attractive power train engineer (female you silly bastages) ask me how a clutch worked one day
and unfortunately the Mercury chick went the way of the name plate, scrapped....

For discussions sake i'll bite on the sag comment

Setting sag is more or less setting the ride height up for optimum damper movement and control. We performed basically the same procedures on the test vehicles but needed a alignment rack to allow for free suspension movement. First we would unload the vehicle of any added weight (test equipment load boxes ect ect to mimic a show room vehicle) make sure the gas was full and pull the vehicle on the rack. Once the pins were removed from the floating plates we would jounce the vehicle up and down release it and wait for the suspension to settle. The measurement was usually from the outer ball joint or lower bushing to the inner control arm/link joint or bushing, the difference being the ride height. The problem with only measuring spring height is that it does not account for the suspensions "working ratio" as I like to call it, almost everything short of a beam axle with the springs directly in line with the axle tube or Forks on the motorcycles front end will have a suspension ratio. For instance raising the strut perch on a Escape 8mm would yield a 10mm increase in ride height due to the ratio of the control arm, were as putting a 10mm spring shim in a 4wd F350 equals 10mm increase in ride height. Reasons why Sag measurements seem unrepeatable can be to not paying attention to the details like fuel, gear, ect ect. and also not taking in to account the amount of "sticktion" created in the system (linkage, bushings, shock ect ect) by either jouncing the suspension with the rider off or on will create variations, hell holding both of the brakes on will throw the measurement off. The biggest thing is to try and get repeatable measurements before deciding to adjust one way or another. This seems like the best method I have found and might improve your repeatability http://www.triumphnet.com/st/acc/racetech/setup.htm .

Just measuring the Spring may seem more repeatable but it is also much less acurate as your not taking into account the suspension ratio (usually more movement at the wheel end vs the shock)
The forging company I worked for made the FN-10 steering spindle forging. We made, exact number, 1 million of them.
I am appaled to hear an ex Ford engineer, WITH Q-1 AND QS9000 training, tout a measurement system that has low repeatability.
You must have been cutten SPC classes to hang with Jill.

I agree with the sag measurement method you and the hot babes at Ford used on a car or truck. But on a bike the spring length is best. Regardless of how you do it there is just too much variance between sag measurements to make it a reliable control. In measuring the length of the spring it's easy to get extreamely close measurements to desired. You must of course have some starting range, like Honda gives. And that may be an application for engineers and hot babs at Honda to work out on a test stand.

If more pre load is needed for the extra gear taken on a trip shorten the spring and record the length that worked best. After the trip set back to the original length measurement and your done. This measurement can easely be made to 1/64" accuracy. If for no other reason the spring length method is better because it is faster to accomplish. I wager that sag can not be measured to within 1/2" accuracy.

And that remindes me, does anybody make a external pre-load adjustment device for a Showa shock?
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7

fritzcoinc screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 02:16 PM
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #49804
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

HeHeHE

He said Buns.
http://www.google.com/search?q=buns+of+steel&hl=en&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=n2PCUNTZJpP7yAGe-ICwBA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAA&biw=1280&bih=878
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
Old 12-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #49805
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,746
My mind just will not let me understand all of the suspension jargon no matter how much I read or study it. I just know I put in the recommended heavy springs, the compression dampeners are set to full soft, the rebound on the shock is set to full fast because that's the only way the rear tire will stay hooked to the ground through stutter bumps AND IT SUCKS ASS!!!!! I HATE IT!!!!!!

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #49806
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc-razor View Post
My mind just will not let me understand all of the suspension jargon no matter how much I read or study it. I just know I put in the recommended heavy springs, the compression dampeners are set to full soft, the rebound on the shock is set to full fast because that's the only way the rear tire will stay hooked to the ground through stutter bumps AND IT SUCKS ASS!!!!! I HATE IT!!!!!!
Clam down. Come back from the cliff edge. It's OK. Just try different settings. The heavy springs can be set on the soft side. Keep notes of changes and how they performed and you will get there. Do you think Red Bull wins all the F1 races with just dumb luck? It takes trial, error, evaluation, and re-trial.

Do you want Jill to help ya?
Old 12-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #49807
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Clam down. Come back from the cliff edge. It's OK. Just try different settings. The heavy springs can be set on the soft side. Keep notes of changes and how they performed and you will get there. Do you think Red Bull wins all the F1 races with just dumb luck? It takes trial, error, evaluation, and re-trial.

Now there's an idea. Or I am sure losing about 60lbs wouldn't hurt either.

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #49808
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:

Can Jill help me too?????

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #49809
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:
Yeah, there ya go.
Try lite beer?
Old 12-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #49810
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:
Can Jill help me too?????

Just a second, I'll check, I gota find the new speed dial number I made for her.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #49811
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:

Hey there, watch it!!! I resemble that remark...

Old 12-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #49812
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
Yeah, there ya go.
Try lite beer?

Lite beer??? Is that for drinkin two fisted???

Old 12-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #49813
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
Just a second, I'll check, I gota find the new speed dial number I made for her.

SWEET!!! I call Conducter!!!

Old 12-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #49814
pngaudioguy
Just...one...more...

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Lite beer??? Is that for drinkin two fisted???

Lite beer - that's the 7% dubbel you have for lunch so you can save the 10 and 11% tripels for the evening. Duvel tripel hop 2012 is heaven in a glass.

I should set either my race sag or spring length one of these days. I guess I don't ride the bike hard enough to know the difference. I adjusted the rebound rear and front until it didn't piss me off, and then went out and enjoyed being on the damn thing.
pngaudioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #49815
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pngaudioguy View Post
Lite beer - that's the 7% dubbel you have for lunch so you can save the 10 and 11% tripels for the evening. Duvel tripel hop 2012 is heaven in a glass.

I should set either my race sag or spring length one of these days. I guess I don't ride the bike hard enough to know the difference. I adjusted the rebound rear and front until it didn't piss me off, and then went out and enjoyed being on the damn thing.
Question: Why no support for your fellow countrymen at KTM? They are in one of those Grematic countries arn't they?

Seriously, you just are not going to know if your as recieved suspension set is good untill you try a different set up.