Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #91
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,915
I had to sell my S4R 4 years ago, and I still miss the nasty, evil, bitey little thing! I would love to have another one eventually.

Standard they are VERY nice, tweaked they are a bit of a handful, but bloody lovely bikes.

It's the one in my sig line.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:16 AM   #92
Niles
Riding >> Typing

Oddometer: 23
I had a 620ie for a while, put 6k or so on it. Only problem I had was the brake light switch for the rear brake failed. Other than the lack of wind protection and the crappy suspension it was a really good comfortable bike for running around town. Especially with slightly taller bars. I even sold it for a significant profit. :)
I probably should have kept it, but my irrational vengeful hatred of vw/audi means I can't own anything vaguely related.
Niles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #93
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Monster opinions seem even more subjective than for most bikes, but I'll chime in here. I have a '99 M900 (w/carbs) that I've owned since new and have ridden over 30K miles. Miles ridden have been much less in the last 4 years since I bought a 650 VStrom ... which may say something. My bike is stock except K&N filter and Dynojet kit. The Monster is often tagged as a "city bike" but like other owners have said it's not great in town .... snatchy low-rpm running, limited steering lock, etc. OTOH, I have put in many 300-600 mile days and it's quite comfortable for medium-speed sport-touring (50-90 mph two lane roads). Mine has been flawlessly reliable - zero problems. Maintenance is pretty easy. Fuel economy varies a lot depending on duty cycle, but open road cruising gets over 50 mpg (US) and near 200 mile tank range.

When I go out to the garage I typically get on the VStrom and don't even think about the Monster, but when I ride the Monster on a back road and experience the smooth mid-range pull (yes, I know it's not a hotrod by any modern sport bike standards), I get a smile on my face. But the next time I go for a ride, I still get on the Suzuki. It's just an easier ride, and as I get older, I find I get more pleasure from the road and the environment than the bike itself, and less tolerant of the Ducati's idiosyncrasies. But I can't think of any reason NOT to buy one, especially as a stablemate to a GS.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #94
Sandman 950

Oddometer: 191
I'll tell you why NOT...

I walked into my local Ducati dealer near London 12 years back
£5000 in cash in my pocket
Walked up to a beautiful red M900
Looked around it for about 3 minutes
Looked around the showroom for a salesman, he was looking right at me, but
he was sitting at his desk having a coffee with a few pals, chatting...
I walked up to the desk to get his attention...
...he looked right at me and returned to his friends to chat!
I stood there for a bit, this is awkward, his pals were looking at me now too so
Maybe he didn't see me standing at the big red M900
I returned to stand right next to it, for about 3 minutes and then I thought you know what...
FUCK HIM...and walked out
Within seconds the salesman came out running and shouted 'do you need any help mate?'
To which I replied 'FUCK YOU' and got out my £5k and waved it to him across the car park
You had your chance, got into my van (which I took to pick up the bike) and drove off to another dealer
Surprise surprise Ducati London closed down within weeks of this

...not that I'm bitter and harbour a grudge or anything! So, where were we? Oh yeah, Monsters...
Sandman 950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #95
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,093
I'd offer an opinion, but all I really want is an excuse to post a photo...

But eye-candy aside, I'd say the current generation of Monster (that is the 696 / 796 / 1100evo) is a fantastic do-it-all naked bike, and much more 'every day' usable than the previous generation - where riding position and handling characteristics can be an acquired taste (nothing wrong with them at all, just in comparison to the typical Japanese bikes of the era)...

Personally these days I'd be looking at one of the new generation Monsters (or the new Hypermotard) if you are new to the brand, as even the newest S2R / S4R is five years old now - however, I would say the S2R800 is perhaps the sweetest and purest of all the previous generation bikes...

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #96
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Getouttahere!

Get that thing wet, and it has the worst fueling issue of them all -
it tends to stick to 0 RPM.

I liked the fueling of the Dorsoduro 750 in touring mode though!

Well, Cortez, I've washed my Ducati once, and the bitch wouldn't start. So, being smarter than the average Bear, I don't wash it anymore. And I try not to ride it in the rain, although I have been caught out, and it didn't miss a beat. My KTM seems waterproof, more or less.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #97
Existence_Inc
The Wanderer

Oddometer: 154
I will suggest you test ride the Streetfighter 848. Mine was sorted out of the box, it's plenty comfortable for 200+ miles (longest I have done on the stock seat), fast, powerful, rides smoothly around 3krpms around town, sounds great, and faster than I am.

I replaced the stock exhaust because I didn't care for the looks. Mine runs great with no ECU mapping and stock gearing. 15k Valve Service Intervals, wet clutch, and 45+MPG to boot. Just a thought. Comfortable, spacious ergos for me (6'1", 34" in-seam). And contrary to popular opinion, the stock suspension is fully adjustable, fine for town riding and is plenty fine for fast mountain roads.

~Ex
2014 BMW R1200GS
Existence_Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #98
maxjett
maxjett

Oddometer: 509
I bought a 97 M750 in 1998 with 400 miles on its and still in the garage. A few upgrades done, very little mtce required. It doesn't have alot of HP compared with the new stuff S4RS but in the mountain roads the 750 will run with the bigdogs and I never think its gonna kill me. I have 6 other bikes and none of them have been around that long and I like to ride different bikes. Oh yeah Termi's are a must.
maxjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #99
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
Well, Cortez, I've washed my Ducati once, and the bitch wouldn't start. So, being smarter than the average Bear, I don't wash it anymore. And I try not to ride it in the rain, although I have been caught out, and it didn't miss a beat. My KTM seems waterproof, more or less.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #100
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
I'd offer an opinion, but all I really want is an excuse to post a photo...

New to Duc's:
I'd also love to offer an opinion, but I just brought her home yesterday, and the odometer says 0. I have not ridden a monster. No, really. Not even a test ride. Call me crazy, but I have wanted one since I first laid eyes on one. The opportunity came for me to nab one, and I did. As most of us agree...you only live once! Now if it would warm up and melt the snow and ice, I would be even happier.

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #101
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,699
Nice bike.

Good luck finding an appropriate road.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #102
single
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
I'd say the 796 is the one to have. The 696 is bargain basement in almost every way while the 1100 pushes things a bit too far and isn't as easy to manage around town in traffic with the lighter flywheel and bigger torque happy engine. Cheers on the new bike.
single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #103
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
This is a buddy of mine with his 1998 M750.

Clipons. Wheels and Forks from a '99 900SS. Penske rear shock. Twin pin calipers. Snowflake rotors. GP master cylinder. Ducati Performance 2:1 megaphone exhaust. Light flywheel. Dynos 65rwhp. 380 +/- lbs.

I've ridden it a few times, and this little bike is some of the best 2-wheel fun I've ever had!

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”

rocker59 screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 04:29 PM
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #104
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post

New to Duc's:
I'd also love to offer an opinion, but I just brought her home yesterday, and the odometer says 0. I have not ridden a monster. No, really. Not even a test ride. Call me crazy, but I have wanted one since I first laid eyes on one. The opportunity came for me to nab one, and I did. As most of us agree...you only live once! Now if it would warm up and melt the snow and ice, I would be even happier.

I'll let you ride mine to save your miles.....

Sending electrons with my electron sending device...

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #105
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,384
I don't mind putting miles on it, in fact, I would rather be putting miles on it than hiding from the snow

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote