ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 248 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #6166
Bonerov
Damned dirty ape

Oddometer: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Smoke signals are more effective than email when you contact Garmin.

Call their toll free number for real service.

I still haven't heard back from them regarding the email I sent two days ago. I did, however, call the toll free line last night to see what they could do for me. I told them I bought the AMPS Rugged Mount on Amazon and they suggested that I contact Amazon to see about an exchange. Kind of annoying, really. As I had to modify the wiring slightly during installation, I am doubtful that the third party vendor who actually shipped me the item would even accept it back as an exchange. Hopefully, the email route will prove more fruitful.
Bonerov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #6167
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonerov View Post
I still haven't heard back from them regarding the email I sent two days ago. I did, however, call the toll free line last night to see what they could do for me. I told them I bought the AMPS Rugged Mount on Amazon and they suggested that I contact Amazon to see about an exchange. Kind of annoying, really. As I had to modify the wiring slightly during installation, I am doubtful that the third party vendor who actually shipped me the item would even accept it back as an exchange. Hopefully, the email route will prove more fruitful.

AMAZE BALLS!

Most products now are shipped with a paper in the box suggesting you contact the manufacturer directly if anything is missing or damaged, and explicitly request that you DO NOT contact the vendor from which the product was purchased.

Garmin's actions will only build on the perception they care very little about the end user.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #6168
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
AMAZE BALLS!

Most products now are shipped with a paper in the box suggesting you contact the manufacturer directly if anything is missing or damaged, and explicitly request that you DO NOT contact the vendor from which the product was purchased.

Garmin's actions will only build on the perception they care very little about the end user.
Actually, my experience with Garmin Product.Support has been rather good over the years. I have on occasion had to politely request that I speak to a Supervisor. I think this is one of those types of occasion's. Call back and don't even mention Amazon or the third-party supplier. This is a Mount defect and Garmin should address it. If the tech on the call try's to "close out the call" by not sending you a new mount, request to speak with their Supervisor.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #6169
Bonerov
Damned dirty ape

Oddometer: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Actually, my experience with Garmin Product.Support has been rather good over the years. I have on occasion had to politely request that I speak to a Supervisor. I think this is one of those types of occasion's. Call back and don't even mention Amazon or the third-party supplier. This is a Mount defect and Garmin should address it. If the tech on the call try's to "close out the call" by not sending you a new mount, request to speak with their Supervisor.

Cheers,

Yeah, I think I'll have to do that. The guy put me on hold to grab one and test it. Since his worked, I think he assumed I was full of shit. Annoying, but I didn't have the 30+ additional minutes that it would likely have taken to get it sorted. I'll call back when I have a cold beer and plenty of time.
Bonerov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #6170
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
I have those exact shortcuts, labeled "2D" and "3D" - but have had no issues with them not working after rebooting.

Can you open the offending {shortcut name}.gsf file (located in your \Garmin\Shortcuts\ directory) with notepad, copy and paste that text here for inspection?

2D:
PHP Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><Shortcut><Settings><Icon>584</Icon><ProfileSettings><MapOrientation>1</MapOrientation></ProfileSettings><Application>4</Application></Settings></Shortcut>
3D:
PHP Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><Shortcut><Settings><Icon>584</Icon><ProfileSettings><MapOrientation>3</MapOrientation></ProfileSettings><Application>4</Application></Settings></Shortcut>

Hi and thanks for your input. Here are the two shortcut files:

Tracks Up = 2D
PHP Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><Shortcut><Settings><Icon>710</Icon><ProfileSettings><MapOrientation>1</MapOrientation></ProfileSettings><Application>4</Application></Settings></Shortcut>
Automotive Mode = 3D

PHP Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><Shortcut><Settings><Icon>644</Icon><ProfileSettings><MapOrientation>3</MapOrientation></ProfileSettings><Application>4</Application></Settings></Shortcut>
In the meantime I will study yours and see whether I can work anything out

**edit** Hmm, I just looked at yours and except for the icon they are the exact same?

**2nd edit** Well, I just did a master reset and it works fine even after rebooting? Reminds me of old windows 95 software, it cant do anything on the run but needs a reboot before working correctly. I will see how that works out, thanks to those that helped.
Cheers
TS

TravellingStrom screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 05:17 PM
TravellingStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #6171
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
In setups there's a pref for what profile is active when it's in each different mount. Check to make sure it didn't swap profiles on you.

I have not set any mount specific stuff on this one. If it works 10 times then after a reboot it does not work, there is something else at fault
Old 12-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #6172
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
Hi and thanks for your input. Here are the two shortcut files:

Tracks Up = 2D
PHP Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><Shortcut><Settings><Icon>710</Icon><ProfileSettings><MapOrientation>1</MapOrientation></ProfileSettings><Application>4</Application></Settings></Shortcut>
Automotive Mode = 3D

PHP Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><Shortcut><Settings><Icon>644</Icon><ProfileSettings><MapOrientation>3</MapOrientation></ProfileSettings><Application>4</Application></Settings></Shortcut>
In the meantime I will study yours and see whether I can work anything out

**edit** Hmm, I just looked at yours and except for the icon they are the exact same?

**2nd edit** Well, I just did a master reset and it works fine even after rebooting? Reminds me of old windows 95 software, it cant do anything on the run but needs a reboot before working correctly. I will see how that works out, thanks to those that helped.
Cheers
TS
They certainly are!

I guess that rules out a corrupted shortcut...

What does happen when you try to use them and they do not function as expected?

** edit **

after the master reset, you have to rebuild all your menus etc for each profile?
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #6173
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post

Gas Services (finds nearest gas)
This is one I want, but can't figure out how. I can create a shortcut to "where to", but I can't get a shortcut to anything beyond the main menu.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #6174
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
They certainly are!

I guess that rules out a corrupted shortcut...

What does happen when you try to use them and they do not function as expected?

** edit **

after the master reset, you have to rebuild all your menus etc for each profile?
What happens is when I push the icon it returns to the map screen, but the map does not change orientation, so I know the actual screen press works

Master reset does not seem to lose much. I have to change the basic settings, like screen backlight timeout and a few other things, but once I change the profile to the Automotive one, it seems to all work. But, I do have to add Favourites to the dashboard of the single tap power button
Old 12-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #6175
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,345
Ok, I've added three archives to the Dropbox folder, all prefaced with my username:

Mike
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #6176
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windrock View Post
Can someone send me the PM with the Dropbox Info please.
Me too, please.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #6177
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Me too, please.
Edit: I am able to log into the Dropbox account and send invites to those of you who PM me their email addresses. I can't see any problem with that so PM me as necessary.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 08:45 PM
Old 12-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #6178
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
I'm still not totally sorted out on the shortcuts vs drawer vs favorites and what to put where.
1- Create Profiles (Optional)
2- Create Shortcuts (which could be to Profiles)
3- Add Shortcuts to the Drawer (the area you don't see when at the Main Menu) or the Main Menu
4- Add Shortcuts to Favourites (a feature of some Dashboards, and also accessible through Power Button presses if set up that way)

You can add Shortcuts to the Main Menu, Drawer or Favourites.

Does this help?
Old 12-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #6179
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Edit: I am able to log into the Dropbox account and send invites to those of you who PM me their email addresses. I can't see any problem with that so PM me as necessary.
Well, technically anyone with the login credentials is the "owner" so you can share it with anyone. The "Read Me" applies.

Shortly, I'll be on the road heading south - way south - and I'll have intermittent Internet access so Emmbeedee fell free to "take over".

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #6180
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Well, technically anyone with the login credentials is the "owner" so you can share it with anyone. The "Read Me" applies.

Shortly, I'll be on the road heading south - way south - and I'll have intermittent Internet access so Emmbeedee fell free to "take over".

Cheers,
Have a great trip; I'll mind the Dropbox.