Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #16
disston OP
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,456
I have converted several R12 systems to R134a. I don't know where you get '96 as the year for R134a in American cars. This is a 1995 Ford Crown Victoria and I guarantee that it came from the factory with R134a.

I still have some of the compressor oil around here I keep the can so I know which one to get. It has the correct oil in it.

Changing all the seals sounds like a good idea. I think I even have a kit but I may have use a couple of them. I have this sealer stuff that is used on the O-rings. I didn't like it because it was sooo thick. Might use that too.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #17
Wasser
Spilt my beer

Oddometer: 4,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I have this sealer stuff that is used on the O-rings. I didn't like it because it was sooo thick. Might use that too.
NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER!!!!! use sealer in an AC system!!!!!!!!!

A temporary hack-snake oil crap fix that, will cost you a fortune when you have to repair a system the right way.

If you gum up a reclaimer at a service provider, they might just hand you the bill for damage to their equipment.

In the early 90's, Ford switched to better O-rings because they had so many problems with leaks at the connections.
Wasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #18
disston OP
ShadeTreeExpert

OK. But it was bought at an A/C supply store and is for A/C o-rings. But I won't use it, I swear.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 12-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #19
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,141
If the car is setup for R134a, the fittings are unique. It must be '94 (or '93) that R134a was mandated for use in US cars. My bad.

The point behind the oil is that it is dissolved in the R134a (and not all oils will dissolve). Chemically, the oil is 100% miscible in R134a. That means where the liquid R134a flows, so does oil. Even R134a gas has oil vapor. Hence, if there is a R134a leak spot then oil will leak there also. Good luck!
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #20
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,718
Alldata says 3.8 hours to change the evaporator core. Sure beats the 23.8 hours for a Mercedes W140 evap. core.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:06 AM   #21
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,236
I converted an '85 T-15 Jimmy to R134a. I replaced the entire gas loop, including the hard lines, with new parts. I got three years out of it before the compressor locked up. The problem with some conversions is that the compressor oil doesn't like to run uphill and pools in the low spots in the system. Ideally, that low spot is the compressor, but my Jimmy had the compressor in the high spot. I'm sure the compressor just ran out of oil and seized.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #22
disston OP
ShadeTreeExpert

I don't think I could R&R the evaporator in 3.8 hrs. I did the heater core several years ago. It's right next door to the evap. It took me two days to do the heater. I looked at the evap while I was in there and it was MORE work than the heater. Not only is the dash pretty much removed but for the evap the front fender needs to come off. Maybe it was a shortcut I decided on and it's not required but I decided that it would help.