Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #46
telejojo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
I don't care who buys them I' m not going to pay 900 for no jacket.........................................:ee k1
telejojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #47
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by telejojo View Post
I don't care who buys them I' m not going to pay 900 for no jacket.........................................:ee k1

Wow....I'm sure Klim will be shocked by your attitude! Your grammar suggests you are the very heart of their demographic. They better do some soul-searching, Bubba.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #48
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,761
Old 12-08-2012, 02:59 AM   #49
kltk1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
As a Victory, and BMW, owner I'm happy to see this. I'm pretty happy with the quality of the three Vic's I've owned and feel pretty confident Klim quality will continue. I think all the Klim apparel is deigned/engineered here in the USA and manufactured in China. Can't see that changing anytime soon. While I don't expect we'll be seeing Gore-Tex chaps anytime soon, we might be fortunate enough to see a side brand backed by Klim/Polaris designed more for the street rider. I'd welcome that. A competitor to the Atlantis, or Transit, suit wouldn't be bad.....
kltk1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:49 AM   #50
telejojo
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 12-08-2012, 03:53 AM   #51
telejojo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider View Post
Wow....I'm sure Klim will be shocked by your attitude! Your grammar suggests you are the very heart of their demographic. They better do some soul-searching, Bubba.

Could not care less...........................
Old 12-08-2012, 04:14 AM   #52
OhBoy
Got Out

Oddometer: 1,014
Klim has a great profit margin
Polaris wants to milk the cow
Old 12-08-2012, 05:28 AM   #53
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,189
You all know Klim was making SNOWMOBILE gear way before they began offering adventure gear, right? So, all the poster's connecting Poolaris ONLY with the Victory cruisers are totally missing the boat here... I'm just sayin
Old 12-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #54
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmetHead Cycle View Post
So if all of that is true........why did you sell out??
"KLIM is thrilled to have such a solid resource foundation to base the future off of. Polaris is a global powersports leader with worldly reach that can increase visibility for KLIM. KLIM will benefit from increased international brand exposure as well as investments into what Polaris sees as a major growth area—apparel sales."

That's why (and I don't personally see it as a "sell out", I see it as a clever strategic move)

Either it will work out for Klim and its customer base will continue to get very good quality product or we will see the key people leave, set up in business and the customer base will be buying from the new kid on the block.

If quality starts to suffer in this new arrangement you can be sure the multiple biking fora will be full of news about it. Until then I think too many of you are writing Klim off prematurely.

Too many doom and gloom merchants on this thread.

BTW: I am not a fan boy, I only recently got my first Klim product, a pair of their Caldera gloves. I looked at their Badlands outfit but decided to buy Spidi instead (same price more or less).

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:56 AM   #55
The Evil Twin
Boxer Freak

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBoy View Post
Klim has a great profit margin
Polaris wants to milk the cow
Word from a local dealer is that prices will be coming down. They were going to drop the line because it just would not move enough but new pricing (so he says) should be around 10-20% less. In the current economic situation, it may just save the brand. Not a whole lot of folks I know that can afford $400 pants. Those that can, won't.
For those that want to buy something now:
http://c599704.r4.cf2.rackcdn.com/Klim%20Rebate.pdf
CCS #132 Sponsors: DC-Moto.net, Amsoil, Manassas Honda Kawasaki, MARRC
2013 Amateur of the Year
2013 RCGT #6 Overall Mid Atlantic
2012 Cornerworker of the Year

The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #56
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Explorer View Post
I don't see this as a bad thing. I have their gear and visited their facilities a couple years ago. A total 'family' experience, with everyone working together for a very common goal. They all seemed perfectionists striving for more, and I don't see that changing as it is a corporate culture.
I see them becoming a separate organization within a larger structure. This works far better than you would realize. It offers expanding opportunities for growth of the business and strength for R & D.
I think Polaris needed Klim and Klim will reap the rewards. When you have a great product, you don't buy it to destroy it, you build on it. Think globally and think positive.
Allen
It only works well if Polaris remembers why they bought Klim in the first place, allows Klim to remain relatively autonomous, allows Klim to continue doing what they do best, and doesn't decide that they know more about Klim's business than Klim does.

In all my years in the corporate world, I've only seen this happen *once* and then a change in management in the parent company even wrecked that after about 5 years.

*Every* other time, the execs at the parent company assume that because they're a larger company, they know more about why the new unit (in this case, Klim) became successful in the first place and begin to make decisions about where that unit should be going in spite of protests by, well, everyone else.

My guess is Klim will start out making the same stuff and it'll seem like nothing's changed, then they'll announce a lower pricepoint line of gear due in 2014, we'll stop seeing truly innovative stuff coming out of them shortly after that (I'm sure there are a *couple* of things currently in the R&D pipeline that Polaris will allow to make it to the market), and then their line will resemble and join an already *saturated* marketplace with the likes of FirstGear, Fieldsheer, Olympia, Tour Master, Rev'it, etc. and pretty much fade into the crowd. Then when sales stagnate in the adventure touring line of gear, they'll announce that they're going to "focus" on "what made them great in the first place" and drop the adventure touring line to focus on snowmobiling gear.

Don't get me wrong, I've been Klim's biggest fanboi for years, now. I'm just not optimistic about this "partnership".

Three brands that, in my mind, haven't benefited from a move like this, The North Face, Mountain Hardware, and Columbia. (Yes, I know Columbia *is* the parent company, but their stuff followed the same product arc.)

Just for clarification, I really hope I'm wrong about this.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.

Xeraux screwed with this post 12-08-2012 at 01:52 PM
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #57
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,384
It's amusing to watch the naysayers; it's reminiscent of the discussion when some inmates were alarmed to learn that Klim had shifted production of their riding gear overseas; predicting quality was going to nosedive etc.. It hasn't happened.

Maybe with Polaris' cash flow, Klim will expand their premium riding gear line and introduce street riding gear, much the same way Rukka has gone from only street riding gear and expanding to adventure gear... We'll see.. I'm optimistic.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:43 AM   #58
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
It's amusing to watch the naysayers; it's reminiscent of the discussion when some inmates were alarmed to learn that Klim had shifted production of their riding gear overseas; predicting quality was going to nosedive etc.. It hasn't happened.

Maybe with Polaris' cash flow, Klim will expand their premium riding gear line and introduce street riding gear, much the same way Rukka has gone from only street riding gear and expanding to adventure gear... We'll see.. I'm optimistic.

I really hope you're right.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #59
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,603
An interview with Klim's founder, Justin Summers.

http://sledfocus.com/the-klim-polaris-story/

zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #60
vtduc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I think I should go short on whale foreskin futures.
vtduc is online now   Reply With Quote