Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #106
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,159
I bought one a few weeks ago. It was much quiter than expected, some reviews said it was noisy. I didn't like to ride with the face shield in the highest position, the 'double bump' of the shield in the line of vision seems more distracting than the 'line' of my other helmets. But it flows enough air in the two lower positions I didn't need to raise it all the way.
Main gripe was how hard it was to get un-buckled. The shape of the D rings caused them to grip the strap tighter than what I'm used to (the ones on the left are from the Fly).

When I get a new helmet I normally cut back the strap so that a push on the D ring extension(?) loosens and unwinds the strap in one motion. That wouldn't happen with the rings on the Fly. The curved bottom kept a grip on the strap, plus there isn't much depth for the strap to move. I had to take my gloves off and pull it through with my fingers.
It annoyed me enough to perform a D ring transplant.
Cutting through the stitching and re-sewing wasn't up my alley. I used a Dremel to cut through the top of the rings and swapped in a set from and old Bell. The ring extension is also considerably bigger than on the Fly.
I cut through the center rather than the side, thinking that would leave a bit more integrity to rings. But they've been cut, no way around that. I take my chances, as Mary-Chapin would say.
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #107
schnutzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
I liked how it fit in the store, so i bought one
might look a little funny since i ride a suzuki TU250

time will tell if i like it or not.

2012 Suzuki TU250x
schnutzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #108
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,094
Mine faded pretty badly after a year. Sent it back for a refund. Someone suggested that this was a problem with the early production models that has since been fixed. Bought a replacement to give it a second try. We'll see.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #109
Ross Brown
One AU out

Oddometer: 67
A month ago I bought a GS1200 and a brand new Black Shoei VF-X to go with it. VF-X is expensive, light weight, and typical high-quality Shoei build quality. I thought it would be great. I've had nothing but Shoeis or Bells for over 20 years. The one time I bought an Arai full face once I sold it the same week. Arais just don't work on my head. I feel claustrophobic in them and don't have enough airflow to breath comfortably. However, buying the VF-X was a mistake:
- I'm over wearing black helmets on the road.
- the MotoX peak is too long and catches the wind.
- I like the ability to be able to choose between either a clear visor or goggles.

My Fly Trekker arrived today. Hi-Vis Yellow/green. Photos don't capture the real colour. It is the same as those green/yellow tennis balls. It could be the 'new black' for 2013. I love the colour and as someone else said earlier, you realize that you are being seen earlier by cage drivers. I think the fact that the hi-vis is at the top of the bike and rider combination (ie the helemt can be seen over the top of cars) and that your head moves around a lot more than your torso, that the hi-vis helmet is more visible than a hi-vis vest.

Unlike the Shoei Hornet DS helmet the peak is also useful and not just cosmetic. The photo below shows the peak on its 'lowest' setting and with the clear visor in the up position. In a Shoei Hornet I couldn't even see the peak once I had the helmet on. And as I said earlier, with a motoX helmet the peak was too long.
Here you can see how the Trekker's peak comes down far enough with a slight inclination of the head to be useful in shielding your eyes from the sun. Ignore what looks like a lack of peripheral vision to the left as that's just because the camera is sitting deeper in the helmet than your eyes actually do.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the Trekker quality. Fit to my head is as good as the Shoei. $125 from Amazon.com. I couldn't be happier.

Ross Brown screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 08:04 PM
Ross Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #110
mookybird
Gramps

Oddometer: 211
I haven't owned or used a Trekker helmet and I'm sure not trying to turn anyone from buying one, When I stopped to buy one there was a new Gmax dual sport helmet on the shelf that I bought instead, I liked that the face shield retracts all the way up out of view into the visor.

I've run it for many months, ten states and thousands of miles now and have been very happy with it, it's just another very similar choice in the same price range.

mookybird screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 08:35 PM Reason: spelling
mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:17 AM   #111
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookybird View Post
I haven't owned or used a Trekker helmet and I'm sure not trying to turn anyone from buying one, When I stopped to buy one there was a new Gmax dual sport helmet on the shelf that I bought instead, I liked that the face shield retracts all the way up out of view into the visor.

I've run it for many months, ten states and thousands of miles now and have been very happy with it, it's just another very similar choice in the same price range.
I put my Fly Trekker on the shelf after it started falling apart. I picked up a Arai XD 4. Soooo sweet! The Fly Trekker is now collecting dust.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #112
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,422
I just got my Trekker yesterday and rode with it today (Honda Reflex scooter - so behind a wind screen). It's certainly quieter than my old Arai XD3. The fit is about the same with a little more pressure high on the forehead. I think that the XD3's peak comes down farther than the Trekker's does. Perhaps I do not have the Trekker's peak adjusted properly (yet). The Trekker does feel lighter than the XD3. I went with the white helmet color and am thinking the underside of the peak would benefit from a coat of flat black paint (to reduce glare). Wearing prescription glasses does not seem to be an issue but they are more comfortable in the XD3 due to the channels in the helmet padding. I would think a padding modification, in the Trekker, would solve that but it may not be necessary (for me). The fit & finish does not seem to be as high as on my old XD3 but then again, this helmet was 1/3 the price of the Arai. I need to get some SOLAS tape on it (so I'm more visible) but this should work well on the scoot, the VTR250 and the DR650.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #113
Cobain
night owl

Oddometer: 132
I also got the fly trekker in hi vis last summer and after about 2 months you could see how much it faded. I e-mailed fly and thy exchanged it for a white one. Fly is a great company to deal with. I wouldn't advise buying a high vis one though.
Cobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #114
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,280
I just got the high vis in medium. Not a huge fan so far. It was tight in the cheeks at first but after one ride it loosened up a lot. On the one trip I noticed that wind goes blown across my eyes while riding, the sun visor grabs the wind pretty bad over 60, like its constantly pulling my head up. The shell is also very small. The chin guard area of the helmet is right against st my face... I can't put a finger in between the helmet and my nose or chin. Pretty sure I just learned a lesson here..... don't buy riding gear without being able to try it on first. Glad I got it on sale.
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #115
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,878
Chin guard is closer to my mouth than it is with my MX helmet.

I just got new cheek pads for mine, plastic button broke off the old set.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #116
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,292
Maybe I've missed it, but before I go considering a helmet on looks I think it's more important to know if it will fit me...

What head-shape does the Fly cater to? I've read almost every post in this thread, yet no-one seems to talk about it.

It makes helmet hunting/buying much more simple when they are categorized for what they will fit.
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #117
Maxyb
Falling over slowly

Oddometer: 104
went to buy one online yesterday, but decided to try it out first (local store had one, just not in the colour i wanted)

I'll tell you what, i am really glad i tried it on, even through i knew it would fit (they have the same sizing as my shark helmet does) - which it did, there was one dissapointing feature - that was the chin piece was less than half an inch away from my mouth, less than any other helmet i've tried.
I couldn't imagine what kind of damage the chin bar would do to my face if i had a front on collision
Maxyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #118
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxyb View Post
went to buy one online yesterday, but decided to try it out first (local store had one, just not in the colour i wanted)

I'll tell you what, i am really glad i tried it on, even through i knew it would fit (they have the same sizing as my shark helmet does) - which it did, there was one dissapointing feature - that was the chin piece was less than half an inch away from my mouth, less than any other helmet i've tried.
I couldn't imagine what kind of damage the chin bar would do to my face if i had a front on collision
I noticed there is about a half a inch of foam on my chin bar.... I might cut it out one day.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:20 AM   #119
Maxyb
Falling over slowly

Oddometer: 104
I just ended up getting a cheap MX helmet and a good pair of goggles (for the same price as the Trekker!). Sure i don't have a visor for when it rains and it'll be noisier for the street, but at the end of the day i bought this for dirt riding in hot weather, I've got my street lid when i want to be more comfortable in cooler weather/on the street
Maxyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #120
Cobain
night owl

Oddometer: 132
This is a badass helmet at a decent price. The construction aint top notch but what do you expect for 120.
I got the TURBO limited edition.

Cobain is offline   Reply With Quote