Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #16
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
I like the idea of a bike like this or even the mr V max for that matter,What i cant stomache is the price of these japanese bikes.I think this is really the reason they sit on the stealership lot for months and years.
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #17
High_Side
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Great write up. As an owner of an older VFR I sat on the fence for a long time too with this one. The styling and the price were my big concerns, but then the deals started coming on ebay. I picked up a 300km demo for $9700.00 this past winter, but went in with my eyes wide open that there may be some things to fix. First off, I had read about the first and second gear "restrictions" and didn't think it would bother me. It did. How effing stupid was Honda to have this thing restricted below 6k rpm in the first two gears, only to be hit with a wall of power at a very bad time. Luckily the Bazazz eliminator that you plug in to the gear indicator looks after this for under $70. The only issue is the gear indicator shows 3rd gear every time you are in 1st and 2nd. Not a big deal, but it amazes me that Honda would do something so stupid. The next issue was the fuel mileage and range. This was a big concern for me after reading the tests and enjoying the range of the older VFR. After the 1st tank I had a sinking feeling, barely scratching out 200km! But then as the motor broke in the tanks went further and further. Now I can easily hit 300km with my average calculated max at 318km. Enough for me - but also something that would never had been realized by the short term motorcycle reviews. I believe that after the price, this was the most significant reason that this bike did not sell, and it really was a non issue after all....
The last big concern is the stock tires. If you actually ride this thing hard on the stock tires you will think that this is a shit bike. I cannot say enough BAD things about the stock Bridgestones but to sum it up they slowed down the handling, slid around on every kind of pavement and wore out super-quickly(the front was bald at 6800km!). Until I ditched them for Pilot Roads, I thought that this bike might not be a keeper. Different tires completely transform this bike.

It's a shame it wasn't a bigger success, but then I wouldn't have got mine so cheaply!
High_Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #18
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 907
Vfr 1200

Honda needs a new photographer! I was appalled by the looks of this bike when it first came out. Every mag photo looked bulbous & bloated. 6 months after release, I finally saw one in the flesh & couldn't believe it was the same bike! It looks much smaller & sleeker in real life than any pic I've ever seen of it. The paint & finish just glow & the lines & overall silhouette are much more pleasing when it's actually in front of you. I'm certain Honda would have more success with this bike if more folks got a look at it in all 3 dimensions.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #19
Unleaded OP
Unit Train

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K. View Post
Honda needs a new photographer! I was appalled by the looks of this bike when it first came out. Every mag photo looked bulbous & bloated. 6 months after release, I finally saw one in the flesh & couldn't believe it was the same bike! It looks much smaller & sleeker in real life than any pic I've ever seen of it. The paint & finish just glow & the lines & overall silhouette are much more pleasing when it's actually in front of you. I'm certain Honda would have more success with this bike if more folks got a look at it in all 3 dimensions.
Very well said, and I felt the same. This thread needs a new photographer too.

They're just quick smartphone snapshots, but I feel for the pro photogs snapping this one. If I would've had 10 grand in camera equipment along for the ride, it wouldn't have mattered. The side profile is particularly deceptive. It looks so flat and 'scooteresque' in pics. It was striking to note the difference looking at the results on my phone while standing next to the bike. Some bikes literally look like different machines in the metal...and this is definitely one of them.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #20
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
i think the vfr1200 is gorgeous.
+1
Old 12-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #21
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Interesting review and props on the self-examination of values...hard to look critically and objectively at oneself. Good job on both...
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #22
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,796
Looks aside, and I think it looks far better than the 700X, which I consider to be Honda's ugliest motorcycle to date, possibly excepting the DN-01, I can tell from the bar/seat/peg relationship why the original owner traded it back in on another cruiser. Just looking at it is painful.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #23
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Great review!
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #24
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,027
They do look much better in real life -- except for that exhaust. No matter how you cut it, that is one goofy looking piece of shit tacked on there. I Have seen several on the road, and a few in the showroom and the exhaust is just stupid -- especially the outlets. It doesn't make any sense.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:54 AM   #25
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,488
I enjoyed mine - but the old school Sports Tourer is a dying breed.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #26
Unleaded OP
Unit Train

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
....the old school Sports Tourer is a dying breed.
Without question, that's true. But count me among the very few who is sorry that's so.

It takes more than a few miles to acclimate to the riding position of the bikes on the sportier end of the ST continuum - and some riders never do. But I've found the easy crouch of bikes such as the K1300S to be supremely comfortable over long distance. It's the only position, in fact, that allows high-speed interstate travel while keeping the wind in my face...the real essence of motorcycle riding, to me. ST types will never be as slab-worthy as a big trailie or a pure tourer, but I like the weighted front end when things tighten up. Doesn't make me faster....I just like it.

*edit*. The wind is the essence...not the interstate.

Unleaded screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 12:37 AM
Unleaded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #27
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
I have never seen the Viffer12 live, but the corporate ads do look odd. I loved my VFR750 and still wonder why I sold it. This review has me curious, if for nothing else, just to see the beast in person...

Very interesting to find you questioning your point of view. It is good to reboot one's perspective from time to time. So many inmates are true enthusiasts, and you Unleaded, are no exception.
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #28
dwenglis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
This post has really rekindled a curiosity and lust for this bike. And the prices available are nothing less then shockingly low.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #29
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,893
Terrific review!
I keep trying to like the bike and I keep coming up short in that regard.
But this review really did a nice job of summing up so many factors that have made the VFR1200 such a controversial bike.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #30
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,634
And....there is ZERO engine heat. None.

I traded a GS for one because I thought it was sharp and I was tired of the tractor motor in the GS and I don't like the fatal flaw of BMW's clutches.

I traded a K1200RS for the GS. The Honda is the same type but a Helofalot faster. I miss the electronic cruise control. The Honda is ride by wire, how hard would electronic cruise control be?

I think the lack of fuel economy is due to the drive by wire fueling for throttle response. I bet if they took some of that away the economy would improve.

I haven't ridden it much. I have a couple of others that are much more comfortable so I ride them. But I've added a Throttlemeister and it's better.

It's a very good motorcycle but incomplete.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote